Just wanted to let you know that these FLUFFY healthy gluten free chocolate chip muffins with applesauce are sponsored by my friends over at Kalona Supernatural!
These Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins are SO fluffy and great for kids or adults! Learn the secrets to making healthy muffin recipes with big, domed tops!
PIN Healthy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
It’s just another MUFFIN MONDAY.
Don’t wish it was Sunday….
Because it’s not a fun day when muffins are not involved.
Okay, so we kind of broke the melody of the song but when the FLUFFIEST chocolate chip muffins are in the house? I THINK YOU WILL UNDERSTAND.
In the FFF household we LOVE muffins because they are perfect for on-the-go snacks or breakfasts. Let’s be honest, sometimes even for a dinner side when I forget to meal prep roasted sweet potatoes or roasted brussels sprouts. There are many days when I’ve had some healthy oat bran muffins and called it done. NO SHAME.
Don’t lie. You’ve been there.
Whether it’s healthy whole wheat blueberry muffins, gluten free zucchini muffins or sweet potato muffins, we do not discriminate. BUT, these healthy gluten free chocolate chip muffins? They are the current obsession because, DUH, chocolate.
Healthy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins Ingredients
The ingredient list for these FLUFFY little gems could not be any easier or any simpler:
- Oat flour
- Baking powder
- Coconut Sugar
- Kalona Supernatural Organic Plain Kefir
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips
- Raw organic cane sugar
I’m willing to bet (and I’m not usually a gambling kind of gal) that you have MOST of these ingredients in your pantry already!
How to Make the Best Muffins
There are 4 secret tips that I have for you to make the FLUFFIEST muffins with big, domed, bakery-style tops and you will wonder why you’ve never used them before:
- Do not over mix – You want to see very small lumps in the batter before you bake it. Do not whisk it so much that it’s totally smooth. You should only need a good 10-15 whisks of the batter before you are DONE!
- Refrigerate the batter for 1 hour – This gives the flour a chance to absorb some moisture which equals more rise!
- Start baking your muffins at a high temperature- Bake at 450 degrees F for the first 5 minutes, and then lower to 375 for the rest of the cooking time. This burst of heat activates the baking powder immediately, giving nice height!
- Use kefir instead of milk! Just like in the gluten free gingerbread cake bars
What is Kefir?
Kefir is a tart, high-protein probiotic drink – like drinkable yogurt. The cultures in the milk increase the friendly bacteria in the digestive tract which may help reduce inflammation, improve digestion of dairy and simple sugars and promote better bone health!
Grass-Fed Cow’s Milk
While I love Kalona Supernatural Kefir because it tastes great on its own, I also <3 that they use high-quality, 100% Grass-Fed cows’ milk from a small Amish and Mennonite community in Iowa. They use simple, Non-GMO, nourishing ingredients and you can really taste the difference.
Fun fact – I grew up in a (very non-traditional) Mennonite family!
How to Freeze Muffins
It’s back to school time and that means you might (read: WILL) want to make a DOUBLE batch of gluten free chocolate chip muffins to have for quick school morning breakfasts, on-the-go snacking or lunch box packing! You freeze them very similarly to slices of healthy carrot bread!
- Let the muffins cool COMPLETELY
- Place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and freeze until firm (about 2-3 hours.)
- Place them all in an air-tight container and freeze for 3-6 months! You can always store them in a Ziploc bag, you just won’t be able to freeze them as long!
Then you can grab and go as needed!
Look at you, armed and ready for the back-to-school craziness with nourishing, gut-friendly, snacks.
Other Healthy Muffin Recipes:
- 2 Cups Oat flour (212g) (GF if needed) *
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3/4 Cup Kalona Supernatural Organic Plain Kefir
- 1/4 Cup Coconut oil, melted
- 2 Large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/3 Cup Mini chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp Raw organic cane sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients up to the chocolate chips.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk until just moistened – the batter should have some very small lumps. Gently fold in the chocolate chips. That batter will seem quite thin.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Once chilled, preheat your oven to 450 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Scoop the batter into 10 cavities, filling them about 2/3 of the way full. Sprinkle with the remaining cane sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Then, reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and cook an additional 15-17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack to cool COMPLETELY.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT KALONA SUPERNATURAL. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: 12 POINTS+: 7. OLD POINTS: 5
(per muffin , based on the recipe making 10 muffins)