These Healthy Gluten Free Sweet Potato Muffins are packed with spicy-sweetness and lots of chocolate chips! Paleo friendly, made in one bowl and SO fluffy!
PIN Healthy Gluten Free Sweet Potato Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Hello my name is Taylor and I am obsessed with 5-spicing baked goods.
So obsessed, in fact, that I just turned it into a verb.
You remember the five spice eggless vegan zucchini bread from last month yes? This was the gateway bread. It started the subconscious goal that I apparently have-but-don’t-know-I-have-it to rule the world with my addicted-to-5-spice-shenanigans, which also showed up in the mulled red wine cake.
And then even morphed into a garam masala obssession in gluten free oatmeal carrot muffins .
Rule the world is probably a major exaggeration. But, when it’s just THIS GOOD, is it really?
Things to ponder.
What spices are used in Chinese 5 Spice?
This cozy-feeling, zesty-spicy blend is made of cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel and peppercorns, and has this zippy flavor profile, with rich notes of fennel and just that LITTLE bit of peppery-ness that is gonna sizzle down the back of your throat and wake up your taste buds like HELLO WORLD, I AM HERE AND I AM EATING.
You know what I mean.
So ya. This sweet potato muffin recipe? OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY, I am excited for you.
Mostly excited for your mouth/taste buds ‘cause when they taste a little bite of all the spice and sweet and then get PUNCHED in the face with velvety-smooth notes of kinda-nutty-sort-of-savory tahini and melty chocolate chips, that little bite is going to turn to eating 3 WHOLE MUFFINS PRONTO.
What can I use instead of tahini to make these healthy gluten free sweet potato muffins?
If you for some reason haven’t been down with the paleo sweet potato brownies with tahini, or paleo chocolate muffins with tahini and are secretly wishing I would stop using this ingredient-that-you-hate, you could totally use almond butter!
Or maybe peanut butter? But, is that weird with sweet potatoes?
Then again. Is peanut butter EVER really weird? Me thinks not.
How-EV-er, I pinky promise that these muffins with sweet potatoes WILL be T-H-E recipe that makes you like baking with tahini.
Yep. Promise. No matter how much you sit there and pout about hating the stuff and your “muffin elitist” ways tell you that we should only be making “normal” combos like low carb sugar free keto blueberry muffins, you WILL like these.
But, if I’m wrong, then I’ll just eat your healthy gluten free chocolate chip muffins. NO HARM DONE.
There are a few ways to go about collecting the baked sweet potatoes that are VRY VRY necessary to completing the muffin mission that I’m hoping you’ve decided to embark on with me:
- You could just bake a sweet potato in the oven
- You could be super trendy and make crock pot sweet potatoes
- You COULD kill two birds with ONE stone and make some kind of dinner recipe requiring baked sweet potatoes that will give you leftovers.
How ever you get there is really up to you. I just like you to know that you have OPTIONS.
Sweet, sassy and SERIOUSLY sensational sweet potato muffins are what is up this Tuesday.
And, PREDICTION, I think they might just be what is up for the WHOLE rest of your week.
Rest of your life too? Is that pushing it?
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Healthy Gluten Free Sweet Potato Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and rub a muffin pan generously with oil or spray.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the sweet potato, tahini and coconut sugar until combined. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat again until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add in the coconut flour, 5 spice, baking powder and salt and beat again until smooth and mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill 6 muffin cavities just over 1/2 way full (I like to use a large, trigger-released ice cream scoop to get nice domes!) and bake until a the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 23-24 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan COMPLETELY before running a sharp knife around the edges and gently removing the muffins from the pan.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 8 Points+: 5. Old Points: 4
STAY IN DA KNOW WITH THINGS GOING ON AT FFF (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!