These gluten free sweet potato pie bars are a healthy thanksgiving dessert that is WAY easier than making pie! A delicious, crowd-pleasing dessert!
PIN Gluten free sweet potato pie bars
You know what?
I didn’t have sweet potato pie until moving to the USA.
Now that I think about it, it seems like all the things we didn’t eat were at Thanksgiving. Clearly America has the leg up on Thanksgiving over Canada because a life without sweet potato pie is not a life that I want.
I love Sweet Potato Pie
I mean, I fell in love with it so hard that I made pecan pie stuffed sweet potatoes so I could get two of my newfound favorite pie flavors at dinner time.
And then I wanted to make a straight up healthy sweet potato pie that was way way way easier than having to make your own almond flour pie crust. Because, although it is tasty, it adds a lot of steps to making your sweet potato dreams come true.
Sometimes you just wanna eat without doing the WORK you know?
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
Before you start making your like squares of spicy-sweet bliss, you gotta collect your ingredients:
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes for Pie
The key to making the best sweet potato pie is to cook the potatoes right. You want to boil them for a good 30-50 minutes until the skins peel off and the inside is super soft. This is not time to make crock pot sweet potatoes because the inside will not get soft enough and you’ll have chunky bars.
No good friends, no good.
Flour – instead of all-purpose flour, we’re making our own oat flour to add some wholesome grains and fiber to our tasty treats.
Sugar – swapping in coconut sugar for brown sugar gives a pretty similar taste but a little less refinement.
Pecans – Adding pecans to the crust adds some extra crunch and flavor but also a whole lot of heart-healthy, good for you fat that will also make these bars extra satisfying!
How to make Sweet Potato Pie Bars Dairy Free
If you want to make dairy free sweet potato pie, it’s super easy.
Cream cheese – instead of using normal cream cheese, you can totally use dairy free cream cheese here!
Ghee – if you don’t want to use ghee, you can use vegan butter and still have tasty bars!
They’re sweet and spicy with cinnamon and ginger and they have the most bomb crumbly topping that is golden-brown, toasty and pretty much just dang delicious.
This healthy sweet potato pie recipe might just be your new go-to this turkey day because you have much better things to do than trying to roll crusts into circles am I right?
3 cheers for pie in your mouth without all the work!
Other Healthy Desserts:
Gluten Free Sweet potato pie bars
For the Crust:
For the Filling:
- 4 oz Full Fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature (dairy free works)
- 6 tbsp Raw organic cane sugar
- 6 tbsp Coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 Cups Mashed sweet potato (360g)*
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 Tbsps Pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsps Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Ginger powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the oat flour, pecans and sugar. Add in the melted ghee and mix until crumble.
- Press into a greased 9x13 baking dish, leaving about 1/3 of the mixture aside to sprinkle over the top of the filling.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the crust has gone golden brown.
- In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the cream cheese with the 2 sugars until smooth and creamy. Add in the egg and beat again until well mixed, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary. Add in the rest of the ingredients and use a hand whisk to whisk until smooth and mixed.
- Pour over the still-warm crust, and sprinkle with reserved crumbles.
- Bake for 30-32 minutes until it begins to turn golden brown,
- Turn your oven to HIGH broil and broil for 2-3 minutes (watch closely!) until the crumbles have gone crunchy.
- Take out and let cool for 30 minutes, and then cover and refrigerate overnight to set.
- Cut into squares and devour!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 8 POINTS+: 9. OLD POINTS: 8
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!