These Cheddar Gluten Free Biscuits With Buttermilk are SO flaky, soft and buttery that you won’t believe how easy they are! The BEST gluten free biscuits!
PIN Cheddar Gluten Free Biscuits With Buttermilk
Lightly crisp outsides with BUTTERY and soft, FLAKY insides. JUST like Grandmas.
These are truly the best gluten free biscuits. I promise you.
Side note: they are not at all like MY Grandma’s because, CONFESSION, my Grandma never made biscuits. They are what I imagine the world’s best-biscuit-making-Grandma’s recipe would taste like.
Confession, the sequel: I had never even eaten a biscuit until ONE YEAR AGO.
Annnnnd you’re about to “x” out of the screen because you no longer think you can trust someone who didn’t ever eat the buttery-flaky-HEAVEN-ON-EARTH that is a buttermilk biscuit until she had been alive on this planet we call Earth for 27 years.
Like the paleo pecan pie bars and healthy sweet potato casserole, biscuits are just not as much of a “thing” in Canada, so I never had one until Mr. FFF and I visited “The Loveless Café” in Nashville last year.
This visit made me realize that everything I knew about delicious food (and life in general) was basically just one. BIG. FAT. LIE.
WHERE HAVE BISCUITS BEEN ALL MY FOOD EATING LIFE AND HOW COULD YOU GUYS LET ME THINK I HAVE EVEN BEEN CLOSE TO LIVING MY LIFE WITHOUT THEM?
For real. We went back to Loveless when we went to Nashville a few weekends ago, just ‘cause this girl needed her biscuit fix.
Buuuuut, considering I can’t drive 7 hours whenever the biscuit craving hits (IE: almost every day of my life) I decided that we would all be much happier if we could make a gluten free biscuit recipe from the comfort of our own home, IN OUR PAJAMAS. Can you imagine eating something like gluten-free chicken and biscuits IN YOUR PJS?
Because could there be any more of an ultimate life goal than to eat a rich, flaky and buttery biscuits without having to put on real pants?
I THINK NOT.
Just kidding. There could be because, WHAT IF IT HAD CHEESE?!
I know, I know. You’re about to explode from goodness when you image that situation in your real-life-thinking-brain. Breath. Innnnn and ouuuuut.
How To Make Gluten Free Biscuits
- You’re going to start by making your own gluten free flour blend (taken from my fav healthy protein donuts recipe) by mixing cornstarch, white rice flour, oat flour and xantham gum
Like in the Easy Sweet Vegan Cornbread with Applesauce, the Xantham gum gives structure to these cheddar gluten free biscuits with buttermilk, so do not even T-H-I-N-K about skipping it.
- Stir in some (read:lots) finely grated cheddar and garlic powder.
- Cut in some VERY COLD butter. You want to work the butter just enough so that the dough looks like it has little peas in it, but not too much that your butter melts! Cold butter is the SECRET to the flakiest, YUMMIEST biscuits.
- Add your buttermilk and STIR until the dough JUST comes together, make sure you don’t overwork it! Now is NOT the time to be working on your stirring skillz.
- Drop these gluten free biscuits onto a pan, bake and EAT.
Seriously. Do not even wait until they cool.
This is not a drill.
Your steps to success are as follows:
Cut –> Extra shmear of butter (not optional) –> MUNCH
No pants required.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Cheddar Gluten Free Biscuits With Buttermilk
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cornstarch, oat flour, rice flour, baking powder, salt and xantham gum. Once mixed, stir in the cheese until well incorporated.
- Add in the butter cubes and either use a pastry blender, or your hands, to cut it into the flour mixture until you have only small pea-sized pieces of butter.
- Add in the buttermilk and stir until it starts to come together. Then use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl, until it just starts to come together about 1-2 minutes (I find it easiest to use SLIGHTLY damp hands) Don't over-knead. The dough will be soft and sticky.
- Drop by heaping 2 Tbsp balls onto the prepared pan and press out about 3/4 inch thick. Bake until the outsides are crusty and some of the cheese starts to brown, about 17-18 minutes.
- DEVOUR! **
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 6 POINTS+: 4 . OLD POINTS:3
(per 1 biscuit, based off the recipe making 14)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!