This crowd-pleasing, gluten free BBQ Baked Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole is cheesy, flavorful and delicious! You’ll never know it’s low carb and only 214 calories!
PIN BBQ Baked Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
NOTE: Post originally posted nov 2014. Updated 10/30/2017
It’s been awhile since I talked about squash, since I did promise you guys a break and all. AND, this isn’t kabocha squash so, technically, that break has not been broken.
I can only not talk about squash for so long, it’s hard when you love something so much.
Im serious, my squash addiction is starting to even become a joke at work! Every time I go for a lunch break, my co-workers go “squash?” and if I say “no” they look like their brains just exploded or something. I almost feel like I HAVE to bring it now, or else they might die and it would be all my fault, you know?
The other day they asked “squash?” and I said “Nope, had it for breakfast.” I guess they usually think of something like cookie dough overnight oats for breakfast, and they have never heard of squash a breakfast item, ’cause they look on their faces was priceless. I need to bring my camera places.
But really, I need help.
Spaghetti squash is definitely my second favorite variety, as it is SO versatile. I love eating it on its own, as a Paleo Spaghetti Squash Bowl with Cauliflower Alfredo, or Hawaiian Baked Spaghetti Squash casserole, or just with different varieties of spices on top. However, my favorite way is to eat it as pasta!
The creation of this bbq baked chicken spaghetti squash casserole was a Monday and I had been
tasting new treats for the blog slaving at work all day. So, It was one of those I-dont-know-what-to-make-so-I’m-just-gonna-throw-stuff-in-a-dish-and-call-it-casserole-and-hope-it-tastes-good kinda nights. You guys ever have those?
I feel like you know all about them, since we are BFF’s and all.
Well, my dear friends, it tasted G-O-O-D!
So good that both the hubs and I willingly ate leftovers of this bbq baked chicken spaghetti squash casserole for dinner the next two days. So so so good. The hubster was even shocked that there was spaghetti squash in it as he thought the taste and texture was very meaty.
I wasn’t even trying to do the infamous disguise-the-healthy trick that I usually try to pull on him with this chicken spaghetti casserole recipe.
By now, he’s kinda figured that one out.
This bbq baked chicken spaghetti squash casserrole is low carb, gluten free, pretty low in fat, and protein packed! The Greek yogurt adds a cool, creamy texture that balances out the kick from the BBQ sauce and red pepper flakes. Then you have little crunchy bits of grilled, smokey love from the red onion and that crispy panko topping.
I MEAN. How could that EVER lead you astray?
You know I would NEVER risk our internet BFF status and do that to you. I pinky promise to always put delicious food in front of you.
And, I am TELLIN’ YA: this bbq baked chicken spaghetti squash casserole? DOG GONE DELICIOUS.
Confession: I don’t even know what dog gone means, but it sounds good so I’m gonna leave it be.
I also think old people say it? Am I Getting old? Don’t actually answer that.
So, if it’s Monday, Or any day of the week really, you should also have a throw-stuff-in-a-dish-night.
Except, don’t just throw just ANYTHING in a dish. Throw THESE stuffs (word?) in a dish to make a spaghetti squash and chicken casserole.
Yummy in your tummy.
Other recipes you might like:
BBQ Baked Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
This crowd-pleasing, gluten free BBQ Baked Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole is cheesy, flavorful and delicious! You'll never know it's low carb and only 214 calories!
- 2.5 Cups Roasted spaghetti squash about 1/2 a medium sized squash
- 2 Cups Shredded chicken breast about 1 medium sized breast
- 1/2 Red onion thinly diced
- 1/4 Cup Green onion diced
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro diced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chile powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes, use 1/4 if you like some heat
- 3/4 Cup Grated Reduced fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 Cup Natural BBQ sauce of choice
- 6 Tbsp Fat free plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Gluten Free panko (such as Ians)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut you squash in half and scoop out the seeds and the guk inside. Place it on a cookie sheetface down, and bake it until it is fork tender (about 40 mins)
- Bring a medium sized potof salted water to a boil and boil your chicken until cooked through (20-25 mins.) Let cool.
- While your chicken and squash are cooking, dice the red onion and throw it into a grill pan on High heat, until it is has nice grill marks. (about 5 mins.) Set aside.
- Dice the green onion and cilantro and grate the cheddar cheese and set everything aside.
- Once your squash has cooked, it's time to throw everything together.
- Spray a casserole dish or cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Using 2 forks, shred the chicken into small pieces and throw into a large bowl.
Add in the spaghetti squash, grilled red onion, green onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, chile powder, cumin, garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes and 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, reserving the rest for later
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the BBQ sauce and Greek yogurt
Pour the yogurt mixture over the squash mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour into the casserole dish and top with whole wheat panko and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Then turn your oven to HIGH broil and broil for around 5 minutes, until the topping is brown and bubbly.
Prep time and cook time does not include time to roast the squash.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfit
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: SmartPoints: 7 Points+: 2. Old Points: 4
(per serving of bbq baked chicken spaghetti squash casserole)
\IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTRAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS! 🙂
Want more BBQ chicken?
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!