Let the slow cooker do all the work for you this Thanksgiving with this quick and easy paleo healthy sweet potato casserole! You won’t even miss the marshmallows!
PIN Paleo Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
I’m SRSLY starting to question everything that I knew about this big day called “Thanksgiving.”
At least, question its food-choices if you’re celebrating it in CANADA.
The selection of yummies on the T-Day pretty much looked like this:
- Turkey. Obviously.
Side note: I don’t know why I am telling you this, but I dislike gravy. And, to this day, I still put KETCHUP on my turkey. Do you judge? You’re allowed.
I judge myself.
- Easy gluten free stuffing. <– Not gonna lie, my plate is about 6/8 stuffing. WHY IS IT SO TENDER AND SOFT AND PERFECTLY CARBY-DELICIOUS? I could eat it forever and always goodbye the end. I know you feel this way too.
3. Some kind of Brussels sprouts. Last year, I made my family these Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Sweet Potatoes and Bacon. Liiiike, they hadn’t even had BACON in their Brussels sprouts before.
I only learned this is a “thing” once I moved down to the land of ‘MERICA. Can you even TRUST my taste buds now?
RLY THOUGH, we COULD have made room for pecan pie.
On Thanksgiving, calories do NOT count, and there is ENDLESS ROOM in my stomach for 2 desserts. You too?
I knew I liked you.
What I am trying to say, with a lot of words, is that there was no paleo healthy SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE.
Zero marshmallows (this part I’m okay with) topping a creamy-dreamy, sweet and spicy mish-mash of carb heaven that is BASICALLY the quintessential (did I use that word right? TRY’NA IMPRESS YOU) staple of a Thanksgiving table.
There are days when I miss my Canadian life.
And then, there is Thanksgiving.
Of course, the CLASSIC casserole of the sweet potato variety is, liiiike, NOT VERY GOOD FOR YOU. And, if you’re going to eat a few slices of paleo pecan pie vegan pumpkin cheesecake, you need to try to conserve the aforementioned don’t-count calories in SOME WAY…without, you know, making things taste ICKY.
Which, my peeps out there in internet land, this STUPID EASY paleo sweet potato casserole, is not. It’s about to hit your face with SWEET-SPICY-CREAMY-CRUNCHY-TOASTY flavor profiles that will make you be like “hey butter and marshmallows, why you be RUINING my paleo healthy sweet potato casserole for all the past years of my life, without me even KNOWIN’ IT”
Truf. This paleo easy healthy sweet potato casserole with pecan topping is THAT GOOD GUYS. I pinky-promise. I tested in on my American Hubster. He knows his casserole.
You know what’s even MORE “THAT GOOD?” The fact that you can make this in the S-L-O-W-C-O-O-K-E-R.
Real life talk: you are doing about 30 gazillion things TOO MANY already on the big day. Why NOT let your crock pot SWOOP IN and save the day by doing all side-dish-makin’-magic? You could even use the extra time to have a few more glasses of wine before crazy aunt Susy comes over.
Don’t lie. We ALL have a crazy aunt Susy.
Let’s put our had-time-for-this glasses of wine together and cheers to creamy-crunchy, spicy, paleo healthy sweet potato casserole perfection that’s just-so-happens to be stupid easy, stupid-simple and STUPID-DELICIOUS in your side-dish-loving MOUTH.
Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole in the Slow Cooker
- Place the sweet potato halves in a large pot and cover with about 1 inch of water. Add a generous pinch of salt
- Bring to a boil on medium-high heat, and let simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20-30 minutes, depending how large you cut them.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and place the pecans on a small baking sheet. Let bake until golden brown and toasted, about 8-12 minutes. Watch them closely, because they burn quickly! Roughly chop them and set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water out and add the sweet potatoes into a 7 quart slow cooker.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (except the pecans) and mash together until smooth and mixed, leaving a little bit of texture in the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with the pecans.
- Cook on the high heat setting for 3-4 hours, depending on how hot your slow cooker runs. You want them to be creamy but not runny. Mine were perfect at 3.5 hours.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 8 POINTS+: 5. OLD POINTS: 4
(based off 8 servings)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more healthy Thanksgiving sides?
Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole from around the web:
Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole – Tastes of Lizzy T’s
Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole with Bacon Pecan Streusel – Wicked Spatula
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!