These cauliflower tater tots are a lower carb version of the classic comfort food that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. You’ll never know they’re healthy!
I think this is the perfect opportunity to tell you something about me:
My family nickname….is Tater-Tot.
There. It’s out for all of internet-land to read. My family associated me with a small, golden-brown and deep fried potato bite.
You know what? They’re delicious.
So, I’m okay with that.
BUT, there are a few things I’m not okay with (and I’m thinking you aren’t either) when we’re discussing tots of the Tater variety (what?)
- Deep fried. In last year’s healthy vegan green bean casserole, we discussed how SOMETIMES you just need to deep-fry something. But, I don’t think potatoes are those things. They be SO delicious just baked in the oven
- Weird ingredients. Have you read the ingredients on the package from the store?
Don’t. It’ll ruin you.
P.s am I the only one who is SRSLY bugged about the tag showing in the napkin in the below above? #NotPayingAttention
Now, let’s be real for a second. I grew up eating tater tots, liiiike, all the time.
Which, looking back, seems kind of weird that Momma FFF would feed me the exact thing she calls me. But, that is neither here nor there.
Anyway. Childhood tater-tots were the BOMB.com (do people still say this?) And, sometimes, I know you just NEED to bite into a carb-o-rific fried piece of tater goodness that is slathered in a MEGA THICK dunking of ketchup.
I understand you.
But, for all the other times of life when this craving hits, but healthy-smart-food-choices-making-you comes out, there are paleo CAULIFLOWER TATER TOTS.
Because I am Taylor and, once I learned how to cook cauliflower rice, I make everything cauliflower rice forever and ever the end. bacon cauliflower fried rice, cauliflower pizza, vegan sloppy joes with cauliflower. N-O-T-H-I-N-G is safe.
We even at Grilled cauliflower steaks once and NOT MAD ABOUT IT.
More real talk for your Monday: I 100% realize that cauliflower tots are actually nothing new and thrilling and exciting, and actually got really popular, liiiiiike, 2 or 3 years ago.
But, as per usual me, I am behind the times.
Which is actually my secret strategy that I just decided was my strategy RIGHT NOW. If cauliflower tots are SO 3 years ago, that means you may have forgot about them, and not made them in awhile. WHICH, in turn, means that MY cauliflower tots will be the BEST ONES YOU’VE EVER had since you don’t remember what all the others taste like.
Smart? I think yes.
Let’s dive face first into a few “tot-tips” or “Cauliflower tot 101.” Whatever you prefer:
ONE. GENEROUSLY GREASE THE PAN.
This is not the time to skimp and assume that somehow melty cheese and crispy panko will NOT stick to your pan. Even if your one of those fancy people that has an equally fancy ultra non-stick baking sheet. Even if it was developed my NASA. SPRAY THE PAN.
Feels good to get that off my chest
TWO. The best and most easiest way to get your tater-tots to be that perfect cylindrical shape is by stuffing a Tbsp measuring with the mixture, packing it in, and LIGHTLY tapping it onto your hand until it falls out.
POOF – like magic, you have hidden veggies that look E-X-A-C-T-L-Y like their questionable ingredients counterparts.
Then do a little bake-and-flip-and-extra-spray action and sink into glorious-childhood-good-food-memories.
MEGA DUNK of ketchup is obviously mandatory.
For step-by-step instruction of this recipe, watch my video tutorial below:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE! New recipes posted each week!
- 3 Cups Cauliflower florets (290g)
- 6 Tbsp diced onion
- 3 Tbsp Light cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large Egg white
- 3/4 Cup Reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp Gluten free panko
- 3 Tbsp Parsley, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat you oven to 400 degrees and very GENEROUSLY spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the cauliflower florets into a food processor and blend until broken down and “rice-like.” Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir and then microwave and additional 2 minutes.
- Add in the onion, cottage cheese and garlic and stir until well mixed. Microwave again for 20 seconds.
- Finally, add in the egg white, cheddar, panko, parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Stir until well mixed and the egg white is evenly distributed.
- Using a 1 Tbsp measure form the cauliflower into tots. I find the easiest is to really pack the cauliflower into a 1 Tbsp measuring spoon and then gently top it onto your hand until it comes out of the spoon in a perfect tot shape. Place it on the pan. Do this for all the cauliflower. You should end up with 32-34 tots.
- Generously spray the tops with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes. Then, spray the tops generously again, and bake an additional 7-10 minutes, or until the tots are golden brown and crunchy.
- DEVOUR! (I like them with ketchup!)
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 4 POINTS+: 4. OLD POINTS: 4
(per 1/4 of the recipe)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ONTWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!