This Easy Sweet Vegan Cornbread with Applesauce is the best cornbread! Perfectly sweet, dense and SO chewy, you will never believe it’s gluten free and healthy.
PIN Easy Sweet Vegan Cornbread with Applesauce
So good that I’m CORNfident that you CORNnot get enough of it.
Those are probably the CORNiest (and also worst) cornbread puns ever, but you KNEW I could not resist.
For real though. This is the best vegan cornbread ever. It’s:
- A little bit dense and SUPREMELY chewy
- A little bit salty-sweet A-N-D a little bit savory ALL at the same time
- REALLY DELICIOUS
To be honest with you, just like gluten free biscuits, I’ve never met a cornbread that I DIDN’T LIKE. Give it to me savory with some herb-y, cheese-y action OR give it to me simple and sweet. Heck, even give me some gluten-free sweet potato cornbread. As long as there is some variety of bread made of corn inside my hungry mouth, I am ONE happy girl.
But, if I H-A-D to pick (don’t make me choose!) I would have to go sweet. I mean I AM the girl that puts sugar on her gluten free paleo sweet potato pancakes SOOOOO there’s that.
Mr. FFF is equally infatuated with gluten-free cornbread. Except we should probably use the word addicted because “infatuated” seems like something that can come and go and our cornbread love? IT IS TRUE.
Anyway, when I told him that I was making a DAIRY free easy sweet vegan cornbread with APPLESAUCE his eyes basically lit up like a meteor shower in the DEAD of night. I could basically see the daydream that was going on his head.
I imagine it looked a little something like him frolicking (do men frolic?) through a field of daisies (or maybe thistles, since they are painful and manlier?) holding hands with a slice of this dairy-free vegan cornbread recipe and being in total life-bliss.
I’m oddly okay with his imaginary-cornbread-escapades because I understand. It’s just THAT GOOD.
How to make vegan cornbread
Typical cornbread is made with eggs as the binder but, in this recipe, we’re making it a vegan cornbread by using a combination of applesauce and agave to bind all the ingredients together. We’re also using some xantham gum for a little structure that eggs would usually give. Do NOT omit this.
I tried. It was the weirdest cornbread situation I’ve ever experienced. It was honestly like what I image sawdust would be like and it just kinda went “POOF” in my mouth and it was GONE.
Not even telling an ounce of a lie to you right now.
What to serve with vegan cornbread
I don’t think that you would be making any kind of un-wise life choices if you decided to just eat it STRAIGHT UP, as is. NO HOLDS barred kinda gluten free cornbread eating, my internet friends.
But if you want to be a little more socially acceptable in your eating choices, the following meals would ALL be that perfect vessel to drag a slice of cornbread through, adding this obscenely delicious level of salty-sweetness and CARBY GOODNESS to your dinner plans:
- Easy Homemade Crockpot Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Chili
- Vegan broccoli cheese soup
- Moroccan Roasted Acorn Squash soup
- No Bean Whole30 Keto Chili in the Instant Pot
There really are just a CORNucopia of cornbread-acceptable meals.
Done now. Promise.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- 1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal, GF if needed (162g)
- 1/2 Cup Non GMO Cornstarch (71g) *
- 1/2 Cup Raw organic cane sugar
- 6 Tbsp Oat flour, GF if needed (42g) Click to see how to make your own!
- 2 Tbsp White rice flour (18g)
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Xantham Gum (vegan-friendly)
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 Cup Vegan butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp Agave
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper, rubbing the sides with oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients, up to the applesauce.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, butter and agave until well mixed. Pour over the dry ingredients and still until combined. Your batter will be quite thick.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-27 minutes. Let cool COMPLETELY in the pan.
- Once cool, slice and DEVOUR!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE SMART POINTS: 8 POINTS+: 5. OLD POINTS: 4
(Per 1/12 of the bread)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!