Does it make me a grandma that I love bran muffins?
I JUST LOVE IT. ❤️
I remember my mom making them for me as a kid and I was that weird 6-year-old who just loved them so much.
There’s something about the texture that just gets me. They’re kind of chewy and have these wholesome flecks of goodness that just make me want to keep going for another bite.
And these gluten free OAT bran muffins are no different!
Why you will LOVE these Muffins
There’s nothing better than a warm pan of delicious, freshly made muffins to start the day! From paleo lemon poppyseed muffins to zucchini muffins with applesauce and beyond, I love them for breakfast or really anytime of day for a healthy snack. Today’s heart healthy oat bran muffins are tender, moist and absolutely delicious with just the perfect amount of sweetness to curb your cravings. They are also dairy free and use better-for-you ingredients instead of the typical refined ingredients that are often used to make muffins. You and your people will absolutely LOVE these, and that’s a guarantee!
- Oat bran
- Oat flour
- Baking powder/salt
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut oil
- Almond Milk Eggs
How to make Healthy Oat Bran Muffins
Mix the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until JUST moistened. Don’t overmix or your muffins won’t be as fluffy.
Cover and refrigerate the batter for 1 hour! This will result in the best dome topped, fluffy muffins!
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Top Tips for Making Healthy Oat Bran Muffins
- Don’t Overmix: The trick to achieving the fluffiest bran muffins is to mix the ingredients until JUST incorporated. Overmixing will make the muffins more dense.
- Refrigerate the Batter: Although it may be tempting to skip this step and get straight to baking your muffins, resist the urge! Chilling the batter will result in fluffier, dome-topped muffins and that’s the best kind of muffin, if you ask me!
How to Freeze Muffins
Freezing muffins is very easy if you follow these 3 simple steps:
- Let the muffins cool COMPLETELY to room temperature
- Place the muffins on a large cookie sheet and freeze until firm, about 2 hours. Freezing them individually first prevents them all from all sticking together in the freezer.
- Once frozen, put them in a freezer safe bag and mark the date on them. Then, toss the bag back in the freezer!
Muffins will stay good in the freezer for 2-3 months. Just simply grab one, microwave it, shmear some butter on it (optional. But not really) and go to town!
Bran Muffin FAQ
Yep, oat bran and regular bran are two different things! Oat bran is a piece of an oat grain. When oat grains are processed, the inedible exterior body of the grain is removed which leave behind the oat groat. The oat bran is the outer layer of this oat groat kernel and is right underneath the inedible grain portion, whereas oatmeal is the inner portion of the grain.
Oat bran is a better and more reliable source of protein, iron, fiber and B vitamins than oatmeal is. It is also more filling than oatmeal and is better at slowing down fat and sugar absorption. Overall, it is considered to be better for you!
When making this healthy banana oat bran muffin recipe or any bran muffin recipe, you can use wheat bran instead if you like! The two types of brans will bake well and are interchangeable if you do not have oat bran in your kitchen.
Other Healthy Muffin Recipes
- Whisk the bran, flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk all the remaining ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until combined. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Use an ice cream scoop (a spoon works too) to fill 9 muffin cavities about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Then, turn the oven temperature down to 375 degrees and bake another 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan COMPLETELY.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS:POINTS+:5 OLD POINTS:4
(per 1 muffin based on the recipe making 9)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!