Just wanted you to know that my friends at Pompeian are sponsoring this recipe, and packing it with a big ol’ flavor PUNCH!
These easy, 5- ingredient roasted Brussels Sprouts, sweet potatoes and bacon are tossed with maple syrup for a healthy, paleo-friendly side dish that is perfect for Thanksgiving!
Easy, 5 ingredient side dishes that taste like WHOA but take you ZERO time to make. Does it get any better than that?
Especially when there is bacon involved. Little flecks of perfectly smokey-crispy bacon nestled between golden brown tender-roasted sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts and onion with a surprise pop of sweet, sweet maple syrup.
You guys, it’s my idea of healthy side-dish-food heaven. And I’m SORT of thinking that it would look REALLY GOOD on your Thanksgiving table. Side note: I’m actually just straight up telling you that it’s perfect for Thanksgiving.
Real talk friends: Thanksgiving is ALL about the side dishes amIright? I meaaaannn, I ALL THE EMOJI hearts love my turkey, but give me a variety of salads, gluten free stuffing, or scalloped sweet potatoes and the variety-food loving soul that lives inside my 5’2 little body is ULTRA happy. Think creepy-big smiley emoji kind of happy.
Side note, the sequel: I have emojis on the brain because I HEARD that there was now a TACO EMOJI with the last update. But, sadly, my phone is out of storage so I do not get to witness this sort of awesome. Old school hearts and smileys for this girl.
Don’t mind me. I’ll just be sitting here being a sad emoji-less human and drowning my sorrows in tender-crisp Brussels Sprouts. Heads up: When you come over wanting me to share them, I may have just picked out ALL the bacon pieces.
A wise person once said that bacon is way to mend all emoji-less broken hearts.
But I may have just made that up. Liiiiike, right now.
Alright peeps. Enough talkin’ about emojis and more eating these SUPER-RIDICULOUSLY-EASY-YOU’RE-GONNA-EMOJI-HEART-LOVE-‘EM roasted veggies. Yes, the emoji snuck in there. But it’s just how I have to describe my idea of side dish perfection.
It’s out there. I would never think that roasted veggies with just a hint of maple syrup and smoky bacon would have me so enamored that I would be actually CHOOSING to eat veggies. Like, all the time. Every meal. Breakfast. Snack. Lunch. Snack. Dinner. Snack. All of them. NOT ONE FOOD-EATING MOMENT of my LIFE is safe.
You know what though, can I let you in on a little secret? Actually more like HYOOGE-flavor-punch of a secret because it’s Pompeian’s Robust Olive Oil! Remember the Moroccan Cauliflower Soup where we used the Pompeian Smooth Olive Oil since there was already SO.MUCH.FLAVOR exploding in one dish, we didn’t want to add ANOTHER ONE? Well, this is the opposite.
I mean, not that it’s flavorless. Don’t go inserting words that are NOT THERE.
Just that it’s a simple side dish. Like if we were going to liken these veggies to the IKEA showroom (because it’s the happiest place on earth. Besides Disneyland) it would be that ultra-hip and modern totally white room with those square couches that are not comfortable at ALL.
You know what I’m talking about.
I’m just trying to tell you that this side dish considers itself a minimalist. Easy. 5 ingredients. Not a lot of work involved.
This is why we need to use the Robust Olive Oil in this recipe. Unlike the fruity, delicate taste of Pompeian’s Smooth Olive Oil, the Robust Olive Oil is spicy, peppery and FULL OF LIFE. This AMPS UP x100 the flavors of the sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts and onions.
And, you guys, you know what else is just screaming of awesome? Our minimalist veggie friends require almost no prep-time which means your family-loving self can actually, you know, HANG OUT WITH THEM on Thanksgiving. No hiding out in the kitchen listening to them have fun WITHOUT YOU.
Go forth and create memories. Or just eat SUPER YUM roasted veggies.
I’m cool with either.
Paleo Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Sweet Potatoes and Bacon
- 2 Lbs Sweet Potato cut into 1 inch cubes (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 1 1/2 Lbs Brussels Sprouts trimmed and halved *
- 1 1/2 Cups Onion roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp Pompeian Robust Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 Strips thick-cut Hickory smoked bacon
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and rub two large rimmed baking sheets with Olive oil. Additionally, cover another rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil and lay a wire rack on top of it.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes, halved Brussels Sprouts and chopped onion in a very large bowl and toss with the Olive oil and maple syrup. Really make sure to mix well so all the vegetables are coated.
- Divide the veggies between the two oiled baking sheets, spreading out in a single layer, and trying not overcrowd the veggies. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the bacon on top the wire rack.
- Place all the sheets in the baking tray (you'll need to put one of the trays on the bottom rack of the oven) and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, stir around the veggies and swap the tray from the bottom rack with one of the top racks, for even cooking. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes until the veggies are fork tender and the bacon is crispy.
- Transfer all the veggies into a large bowl and crumble the bacon over top.
- Mix well and DEVOUR.
Recipe Notes*weight is before trimming, you will end up with about 1 lb of Brussels Sprouts once they are trimmed)
If you're not making these for a HUGE family holiday gathering, you can easy half the recipe - it's still the same cooking time!
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT POMPEIAN. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: Points+: 6. Old Points: 4
Based off 10 servings
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more healthy, fall side dishes?