These 6-ingredient, kid-friendly taco breakfast egg muffins have all the Mexican taste without the carbs! They’re an easy, healthy, gluten free and protein packed portable breakfast for busy mornings with only 105 calories!
Except not really because E-E-E-EGGG MUFFINS.
IE: Portable, protein-PACKED bites of cheesy, spicy taco goodness but without the CARBS.
Or the work of trying to pile your taco HIGH with toppings and gracefully fit it into your mouth without aforementioned toppings spilling out all over your plate. Or really, onto your lap.
AND you wore white pants that day. #AlwaysHappens.
Don’t lie. You’ve been there.
Taco Tuesday. It is the champion of my right now in the sense that is does not just happen on Tuesdays. I mean, why limit the goodness of tacos to only ONE day a week you know? I say Taco ALL THE DAYS.
Especially since they are super easy to make and have SO many varieties. You can make mason jar healthy taco salad, you could make green curry pork tacos with pineapple salsa, cauliflower rice fish taco bowls , or you could even make banana pancakes: TACO STYLE.
But, like we just talked about, tacos? NOT desk-lunch friendly.
How awkward and unprofessional would you be greeting SUPER important flashy client with a big ol’ salsa stain on your shirt. Umm, ZERO percent professional amIright?
Which is why these egg cups were invented for all the people of the world who love tacos (umm, everyone) and want to include them in ALL their meals without the risk of looking like the kind of “adult” who can’t even eat food without a bib.
Which might be an exaggeration. I mean egg cups were were probably JUST invented for the YUM and PROTEIN and lack of carbs (which will keep aforementioned adorable white pants fitting REALLY NICE) but I am just making sure we cover all the possibilities.
Did I also mention that egg muffins are legit the easiest things that you will ever make in all the years that you have on this planet we call earth?
Well, they are.
If you can crack an egg (I know those shells are tricky, but we can do this!) and cook some stuff in a pan while stirring? YOU’RE GONNA NAIL IT.
If you also like things that are spicy and cheesy and just all together delicious? These are gonna NAIL your taste buds.
Don’t worry, in a RLY RLY good, not painful kinda way.
BUT, before we foray into the Mexican fiesta that is the taco egg muffin, we MUST discuss the MAJOR MAJOR need to spray your muffin pan.
And then spray again. You need to be LIBERAL with the spray my friends.
I completely forgot to do this the first time I made these. Straight up: I had to THROW away the muffin tins. The amount of stick that eggs can have? I HAD ZERO CLUES until that fiasco.
I warned you.
The last parting warning I leave is this:
Don’t be alarmed if you decide to forego “real” taco Tuesday (or taco Wednesday, Thursday, Friday etc.) because taco flavored goodness inside a creamy egg muffin sounds SO MUCH BETTER instead.
I can sense it happening.
Taco Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 2 tsp Extra-virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 Lb Lean ground beef I use 93% lean
- 1/2 Tbsp Taco seasoning
- 3/4 Cup Salsa of choice
- 6 Eggs
- 4 Egg whites
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 Cup Reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and GENEROUSLY spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in the ground beef and cook, breaking up, until no longer pink. Add in the taco seasoning and stir until well mixed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the salsa. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and egg whites with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Using a ladle, divide the eggs between 12 muffin cavities.
- Divide the beef mixture between the cavities, which is about 2 Tbsp per cavity.
- Finally, top each muffin cavity with 1 lightly heaping Tbsp of the cheese.
- Bake until the eggs are set and lightly golden brown, about 20-23 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and them remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 3 POINTS+: 3. OLD POINTS: 3
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!