Make Ahead Breakfast egg muffins with ham and Mediterranean inspired flavors, make a healthy, quick and easy meal on the go!
Today I bring to you a new kind of meal: the brappetizer.
It’s a little bit of breakfast and a little bit of appetizer all in.one.dish. Eat these at breakfast before you make yourself presentable to the world OR at a fancy party in fancy clothes with your pinky up, all will be equally delicious.
The greatest part of these is that they look like you slaved in the kitchen whipping up the fanciest of food that only the queen (or king) of Fancy Pants Land would eat. Guess what? You didn’t. You spent a grand total of 5 minutes in there, and half the time you weren’t even paying attention because “Reba” was on TV.
I could just be speaking for myself though.
Really though, these little Mediterranean-inspired ham breakfast egg muffins could not be any easier. Just shove a muffin tin full of some deli ham and then throw a little feta and spinach in there. Top if off with some egg whites and throw that bad boy in the oven. When they come out, make them extra prettiful with some pesto, roasted red peppers and basil…BAM!
Apparently 2014 has turned me into Emeril Lagasse. I hope the hubs doesn’t mind the change.
The hubster and I ate these as part of our Christmas Eve dinner and we both totally fell in love with them. This is a very good thing because the batches following the original just did not work out. It’s actually a sore spot and I don’t want to talk about it, which means that I will tell you about it anyways.
The first time I tried these they were BEAUTIFUL, 10 times more so than these pictures guys. But, we ate them all. So, I had to make them again because I can’t post pictures of empty plates and tell you to use your imaginations. The next few batches were ugly. So, so ugly. Some exploded, some sunk, and some looked like egg hockey pucks. Eventually I settled for these. They’re pretty and they taste amazing and that’s the most important thing right? Right.
Needless to say, we have mountains of ham and egg cups exploding out of our fridge. This is why it is a very good thing that we devoured these because we will have to continue to do so for the rest of our lives. The FFF household don’t do that wasting thang.
Between those, the rest of the leftover appetizers from appie week and Mr.FFF’s leftover hard apple cider, it looks like the inside of our refrigerator is about to throw it’s own shin dig.
Brappetizer, that’s what’s for breakfast. Or dinner. The world is your oyster.
Mediterranean Ham And Egg Cups
Make Ahead Breakfast egg muffins with ham and Mediterranean inspired flavors, make a healthy, quick and easy meal on the go! Low Carb, Low Fat, High Protein, Low Calorie & gluten free!
- 9 Slices of thin cut deli ham
- 1 Large red bell pepper roasted
- 1/3 Cup Fresh spinach minced
- 1/4 Cup Crumbled fat-free or low-fat feta cheese
- 8 Egg whites (1 cup of liquid egg whites)
- 1 Whole egg
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsps Pesto sauce
- Fresh basil for garnish
- To roast the peppers:
- Turn your oven to high broil and line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- De-seed the pepper and cut it into quarters.
- Place the pepper cut side down on the prepared baking tray and broil until it is completely black. This takes anywhere from 15-25 minutes, so keep an eye on it,
- Once it is blackened, throw all 4 quarters in a ziploc bag and throw it in the refrigerator to cool until you are ready to use it.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Stuff each muffin tin with 1.5 pieces of ham, making sure you don't leave holes for the egg mixture to explode out of.
- Take the roasted red pepper out of the bag and peel off the black skin. Cut half the pepper into 6 chunks, setting aside the other half for later.
- Place one chunk of roasted red pepper in the bottom of each muffin tin.
- Place 1 Tbsp of minced spinach on top of each red pepper.
- Top the pepper and spinach off with a heaping 1/2 Tbsp of crumbled feta cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, 1 whole egg, salt and pepper. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the 6 muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until the eggs are puffy and feel set.
- Remove each cup from the muffin tin and garnish with 1/4 tsp pesto sauce, additional roasted red pepper slices and fresh basil.
These are also great cold if you want to eat them for breakfast or a quick snack.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfit
Need more healthy breakfast ideas?