This healthy taco mason jar salad recipe is low carb, gluten free and Paleo friendly! It’s served in a mason jar for a portable, easy lunch, that wont get soggy!
PIN Taco Mason Jar Salad
I am pretty sure that I am one of THOSE people who just can’t get my head around the “dang fangled new trends of the 21st century”
And by that I mean, I am an 80 year old living in a 24 year olds body.
I mean, when did we start putting salads in jars? Back in the old country where I walked UPHILL both ways to school (WITH NO SHOES) we ate our salads in a bowl. You know, like all mixed up. Not in layers of COLOR and flavor that made my eyeballs happy because PRETTY.
But then my blogging gal pals wanted our next monthly post to be Mason Jar Salad Recipes so I had to take off my grandma panties (don’t picture that) and GET WITH THE TIMES.
You wanna know what salad creations these chicas are bringing? HERE THEY BE:
Kelly has a Mason Jar Carrot Noodle Salad with Sweet Chili Sesame Vinaigrette. This carrot noodle salad is vegan, but don’t let that fool you. It’s filled with plant-based protein so that you’ll actually stay full ’til dinner! It’s the perfect way to transport healthy, nutrient-packed salads to work… and it’s gorgeous, delicious, and totally satisfying.
Lee has a Spring Cobb Salad with Raspberry Basil Vinaigrette. No time to make a healthy lunch? I think not! Prep the ingredients for this Spring Cobb Salad and arrange it in a mason jar for easy access during the week!
Brittany is bringing a Strawberry Spinach Salad with Citrus Poppy Seed Dressing. Take advantage of the spring’s bounty and make yourself this Strawberry Spinach mason jar Salad with roasted asparagus, grilled chicken, crunchy cucumber slices, avocado, red onion, toasted almond silvers and a citrus poppy seed dressing. Toss all the ingredients into a mason jar for a healthy, portable lunch that’s way better (and prettier) than your average restaurant salad.
Lexi has a tasty Thai Chopped Chicken Salad with Chili Vinaigrette. All of your favorite flavors come together in one jar! This Thai Chopped Chicken salad is loaded with veggies and packed with flavor. Taste the hints of chili and lime with a touch of sweetness in this easy-to-pack on the go meal!
Davida has a yum-a-licious Tropical Sriracha Chicken Salad. Change up your usual salad game with this spicy and sweet Tropical Sriracha Chicken Salad. It’s packed full of veggies and flavor with an added boost of protein from the Sriracha-Pineapple Marinated chicken breast.
Because my life motto is “CILANTRO ALL THE THINGS ALL THE TIME.”
For serious. I have about 6 bunches in my fridge right now. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME that I go to the store I walk by the leafy green section and go “BUT WHAT IF I HAVE NO CILANTRO AT HOME? WILL MY WORLD GO ON?” so I buy some out of sheer panic and terror.
If a zombie apocalypse happens, don’t worry. I got your Mexican needs COVERED. I bet I have enough to make Chipotle burrito bowls, grilled cauliflower rice Mexican chicken bowls and even “cheesy” Mexican quinoa for ALL OF YOU if that time comes.
See, I always have YO’ BACK.
And, you know, your taste buds. BFFS.
What I didn’t understand about this whole salad-in-a-jar-shenanigans was exactly HOWONEARTH I am supposed to eat said salad out of said mason jar. Would it magically mix together if I just gave it a little shake and be ready for me to munch? How would I fit my fork into the bottom of the jar once I had gotten down to the end?
It stressed me OUT.
Until I was informed that you don’t, in fact, eat a mason jar salad OUT of the jar. It’s strategically layered so that the ingredients don’t do that gross soggy/mushy/veggie thang that happens when you bring pre-mixed salads to the working environment. You then dump it into a bowl and faceplant into your perfectly fresh and crisp green lunch and feel the healthy energy from your head to your tippy toes.
And, really, now that I actually get concept, HOW BRILLIANT IS THAT?
This salad. It’s seems unassuming and low-key. And it is. If I were taking the IDEA of this salad on a date, I would think just a small, cozy café lunch date would do the trick.
And then you take a bite and the creamy-smooth-avocado and toasted cumin hit you SQUARE in the taste buds, and you know this salad deserves something more than that. It needs to be wined and dined.
I really don’t even know what all the means. But, let’s roll with it.
How long does a salad in a jar last?
This mason jar salad will last a good 5-6 days in the refrigerator, if you layer it as I’ve outlined here. The layers are strategic so it stays fresh and not soggy!
THIS mason jar salad salad, with its healthy vegelicious unassumingly-delicious ways was declared “a salad that I actually don’t mind eating” by the kale-fearing-only-eat-steak-always-forever-the-end Huberoni.
In Mr. FFF speak that is like reaching the Mecca of salad GLORY.
And I know you want a piece of that.
So I suggest you shovel your nutritious nums into a pretty jar and watch as you give all those lovely co-workers a MAJAH case of LUNCH ENVY.
For step-by-step instruction of this recipe, watch my video tutorial below:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE! New recipes posted each week!
Healthy Taco Salad
This healthy taco salad recipe is low carb, gluten free and Paleo friendly! It's served in a mason jar for a portable, easy lunch, that wont get soggy!
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil divided
- 8 Oz Chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cup Large carrots sliced (about 1 of slices)
- 1 Large Red Bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 Cup Large onion roughly chopped (about 1/2 )
- 2 tsps Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Cumin seed not the powder
- 1 Large avocado
- 1 Large Lime juiced
- 1 Cup Salsa of choice
- 2 Cup Roma tomatoes chopped (about 1 )
- 1/2 cup a Cucumber chopped (about 1 )
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro roughly chopped
- Fresh spinach
- 2 Quart Wide-Mouth sized Mason Jars
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken breast until golden brown, and no longer pink on the outside. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the remaining 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil into the pan turn to medium/high heat. Cook the carrots until they begin to just soften, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium and add in the pepper, onion and garlic. Cook until soft and the outsides begin to look charred.
- While the veggies cook, place the cumin seeds in a small, dry pan over medium/high heat and toast them, stirring frequently until golden brown and fragrant, about 2-minutes. Transfer them to a cutting board and crush. I use the bottom of a glass, which works really well.
- Add the crushed seeds into the pan with the veggies and season with salt. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- Scoop the avocado and the lime juice into a small food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. You can also just mash them together in a bowl if you wish.
- To assemble:
- Place 1/2 cup of salsa in the bottom of each jar, spreading evenly. Divide the avocado/lime mixture on top, gently spreading out. Then, divide the cumin roasted veggies, followed by the chicken. You may need to lightly pack everything in to get it all to fit.
- After the chicken, place the chopped tomatoes, and then the cucumbers. Finish off by dividing the cilantro and then as much spinach as you can stuff in there!
- Seal and refrigerate until ready to DEVOUR.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfit
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTRAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more healthy salads?
Healthy Broccoli Salad with Curry Cashew Dressing
Superfood Salmon Kale Salad
STAY IN DA KNOW WITH THINGS GOING ON AT FFF (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!