PIN Cumin Roasted Carrots
I know, whenever you think of savory carrots you only think of dunking carrots in ranch dip, don’t you?
WRONG. Because these savory carrots might even rival my love for oven roasted maple bacon Brussels sprouts, they are THAT GOOD. <–Weird suggestion: mix them with pomegranate arils. SO GOOD.
Health Benefits of Cumin
Cumin is a spice I like to make sure I always have on hand in my kitchen. It is a spice you can often find incorporated in Mexican, African and Indian cuisine, among others! I love how it can amp up or add pizazz to any dish, like in Cumin Healthy Chicken Stir Fry with Carrot Noodles and Easy Moroccan Chicken Recipe. I also love it for its many health benefits!
Did you know that cumin:
- Is a rich source of Iron: Yes, that’s right! One teaspoon of cumin contains 1.4mg of iron! Not many foods are as iron dense as cumin.
- Promotes digestion: A common traditional use for cumin was to help with indigestion! Fascinating, right? It may increase the activity of digestive enzymes, which could speed up digestion.
- Contains Plant Compounds that are beneficial: It is loaded with antioxidants!
- May help with diabetes, improve blood cholesterol, and prevent food-borne illnesses.
Cumin Roasted Carrots Ingredients
Add cumin to veggies, roast them, and serve them to me, please! Seriously, adding delicious flavor by using spices like cumin to veggies makes eating them FUN! I am seriously addicted to these indian carrots and they make a FABULOUS side dish for family get togethers for holiday meals! The warmth of the indian spices combined with the sweetness of the carrots is going to have you hooked too! For this recipe, you will need:
- Small carrots, peeled and sliced
- Coriander Seeds
- Cumin Seeds
- Coconut Oil
- Garlic Cloves, diced
- Salt and Pepper
How to Roast Carrots
Roasting veggies is probably my favorite way to cook them. It really brings out the flavor and there are so many ways to season and roast them to perfection! Roasting carrots like these cumin carrots is super simple to do! Here’s how:
Set your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and let it preheat fully.
Heat up a small pan to medium-high heat (do not use any cooking oil) and add the coriander and cumin seeds. Toast them until they are lightly golden brown (about 1 minute), but stir them constantly as they burn quickly! Crush the toasted seeds and set aside.
In a large bowl, add the carrots, coconut oil, garlic, and crushed seeds. Mix it up well until the carrots are evenly coated.
Spread the carrots onto a large baking sheet, and be sure that there is space between each piece. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and pop them in the oven to bake. It will take 30-40 minutes to bake, but you will want to pull them out to stir them around a bit every 10-15 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro and enjoy your carrots- one of my FAVE paleo carrot recipes!
What to serve with Cumin Roasted Carrots
These carrots are great as a snack on their own, but you can also use them as a tasty side for a meal! Pair them with a protein and a salad for a delicious dinner. I recommend:
Salad: Harvest Black Rice Salad would go great with these carrots, especially as the weather cools and the holidays are near.
Other Healthy Carrot Recipes
Coconut Cumin Roasted Carrots
- 16 Small Carrots, peels and slice 1/2 inch thick (1 3/4 lb or about 6 cups)
- 2 tsps Coriander seeds
- 2 Tsps Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil melted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Garlic diced
- Salt and Pepper
- Cilantro to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a small pan to medium/high heat (do not spray with cooking spray or oil) and toasted the coriander and cumin seeds, stiring constantly, until lightly golden and aromatic, only about 1 minute (they burn quickly!)
- Crush the toasted seeds and set aside. *
- In a large bowl combine the carrot, melted coconut oil and garlic. Stir in the crushed seeds and mix well until the carrots are evenly covered.
- Pour the carrots onto a large baking pan so that they are in one layer and have space between each stick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and devour!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 3 POINTS+: 3 OLD POINTS: 2
(per 1/4 of the recipe)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!