This keto steak recipe is topped with garlic butter mushrooms and grilled to perfection! A low carb, paleo and whole30 healthy Summer dinner!
PIN Keto Steak with Garlic Butter Mushrooms
Not that Mr.FFF doesn’t like those recipes, but he IS from Nebraska.
He likes some keto steak recipes, like this recipe or the coffee rubbed steak, a WHOLE lot more than cucumbers and fru-fru, fancy salad dressings, you know? Unless that fru-fru salad is a balsamic steak salad. Then it’s okay.
Every once in awhile I throw him a bone. Like when he was going through his Cajun phase and we ate Cajun Instant Pot chili for him. And now we’re having a keto steak dinner. Gold star wife points for me? I am going with YES.
I’m going to just be straight up with you. No beating around the bush. I almost NEVER like mushrooms. There is a few instanced when I like them…and this is still not one of them.
Bet you thought I was going to tell you how these mushrooms changed my opinion and now I want to eat mushrooms forever and ever the end, didn’t you? Told ya, keeping it real. ?
BUT, Mr. FFF loves mushrooms, especially on steak. So, I tried adding them for him and he thought I should definitely keep them as part of the recipe. But, I did not eat them. So now you know that this recipe works for mushroom lovers or NON mushroom lovers. Just push that fungus to the side and GO TO TOWN on your juicy, garlic-buttery steak and be VERY VERY happy about summer food.
How long to cook steak?
You want to grill you steak until golden brown and slightly charred, which is about 4 to 5 minutes. Then you’ll flip it over and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes for medium rare (an internal temperature of 135 degrees F) 5 to 7 minutes for medium (140 degrees F) OR 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well (150 degrees F. ) This is for steaks that are about 1 1/2 inches thick. I personally like mine medium rare!
How to make steak tender
There are many ways to make steak tender but my top 3 are:
- Bring the meat up to room temperature before placing it on the grill.
- Salt the steak JUST before putting it on the grill. If you let salt sit on the meat for too long before cooking, it can dry it out and toughen it.
- Once it’s cooked, cover and let it rest for at least 5 minutes, but preferably 10. This looks in the juices!
What to serve with keto steak?
You could serve so many options with this recipe since it’s super simple! But some of my favs are:
- Low Carb Baked Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Low Carb Mock Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Easy Sauteed Fresh Green Beans
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Any way you slice it, this easy-peasy, garlicky steak is going to be a summer dinner sensation.
Unless you don’t let it rest first. ?
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Keto Steak with Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- Gas grill
- 1 Lb Grass-fed Top Sirloin Steak (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 4 tsp Ghee, softened to room temperature
- 1 tsp Fresh garlic, minced
- Sea salt
For the mushrooms:
- 2 Cups White mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Ghee, melted
- 1 tsp Fresh garlic, minced
- Sea salt
- Pre-heat your grill to high heat
- Pat the steak dry with a paper towel. In a small bowl, combine the ghee and garlic (for the steak) and spread half of it all over one side of the steak. Sprinkle with salt.
- When the grill is hot place the steak on it, butter side down and cook for 4-5 minutes, until charred*. Rub the remaining ghee mixture all over the top side, flip and cook until desired done-ness. Remove from heat, cover and let rest while the mushrooms cook.
- Combine the mushrooms, melted ghee, garlic and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Place two layers of tinfoil on top of each other (shiny side inwards) and place the mushrooms in the center in one layer. Wrap the sides up tightly to make a packet.
- Place the mushrooms onto the grill, so the folds of the packet are facing up and grill 5 minutes. Flip and grill another 4-5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender,
- Serve the mushrooms over the steak and DEVOUR!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 8 POINTS+: 8 . OLD POINTS: 8
(Per 1/4 of the steak and mushrooms)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!