These quick and easy, low carb cauliflower mashed potatoes only have 5 ingredients, 62 calories, 1 SmartPoint and use a secret ingredient to pack them with protein! They’re perfect for a healthy Thanksgiving!
BECAUSE EVERYBODIES DOIN’ IT.
Errr….more like “already done it.”
We’re doin’ the CAULIFLOWER MASHED POTATO DANCE.
The one that you’ve probably done 42 bazillion times because I am pretty sure this DELICIOUS pile of creamy-dreamy, lusciously smooth vegetables that SOMEHOW tastes like carb central got SUPER popular, liiiike, BEFORE I WAS BORN.
More like 2 years ago. But, you know I exaggerate sometimes (a lot.)
B-b-b-BUT you have not seen the way that I do them in this teeny tiny little corner of the internet space that we lovingly have called FFF. Well, until right THIS VERY MOMENT in your real, potato-loving-life, that is.
There is this weird part of my inner soul that I was trying to decide if I should tell you about because:
- Potential judgment
- I’m not even sure if I am comfortable acknowledging this inner-person part of me as of yet.
But, in the name of TRU friendship that lasts FOREVER due to HONESTY AND TRUST, I am going THERE.
There’s a part of my inner being that FORGETS about the existence of mashed potatoes.
THERE, I SAID IT.
Scalloped Sweet potatoes? Dream about them things. Sweet potato salad? Give me an IV (been married to a nurse too long) of that goodness. But, when it comes to mashed potatoes, there’s this place in my heart that somehow just gets SKIPPED when thinking of any potato side-dish to make for dinner.
And then, I happen to eat it at some point in my life and it’s like WHOA. How has this not been happening in my EVERYDAY eating because it’s fulfilling ever possible need and desire and LIFE DREAM that I have ever KNOWN.
You understand the feeling.
But then I remember something………
As yum-tastic as the steaming hot plate of carb GLORY tastes rolling around my tongue, it feels MUCH LESS awesome sitting on my waistline.
And this is the part of the story where cauliflower comes in and saves the day.
But, what else is new.
Especially when you mash it together in a food processor with COTTAGE CHEESE. <– Did you see that one coming? I bet you thought I was gonna throw butter into the mix DIDN’T YOU?
Not saying you shouldn’t though. You know what they say about butter…..
It makes E’RYTHANG BETTER.
But, I digress.
Cottage cheese is the super-secret ingredient that takes the level of creamy goodness from here to WAY OVER THERE BEHIND YOUR HEAD. It also happens to add a MEGA dose of protein, so you can basically fill your plate with cauli mash and easy gluten free stuffing, and have your carbs (stuffing) and protein (cauli mashed) requirements MET.
Like we discussed in the paleo sweet potato casserole, T-Day is ALL about the sides. SO permission to eat an entire meal made of them?
YOU’RE DIGGIN IT.
Before you ask. No, the cottage cheese does not make the cauliflower chunky and weird like the actual consistency of cottage cheese. It melts right into it, making it achieve the ultimate level of healthy-but-doesn’t-taste-healthy comforting side dish B-L-I-S-S
On the topic of food bliss: roasted garlic.
Put in mashed potatoes. Slather it on bread (because you have room for extra carbs now. GO YOU) or just slather it on your face and lick it off. Just make sure it’s a regular part of your mouth’s munching because it’s SO FREAKING DELICIOUS.
I can say with GREAT GREAT certainty that you’re going to be sayin’ “NO THNKS” to the “real person” potatoes this T-day.
Believe it baby.
For step-by-step instruction of this recipe, watch my video tutorial below:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE! New recipes posted each week!
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes with 5 Ingredients
- 1 Head of garlic
- 1 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 Cups Cauliflower cut into florets (1 lb)
- 1/2 Cup Low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 Tbsp Milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
- Generous pinch of pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice 1/4 inch of the top of the head of garlic, peeling off the excess papery skin, and trying to keep the head intact.
- Place the garlic onto a piece of tinfoil and drizzle with the oil, rubbing into into the top and sides of the garlic. Close the tinfoil to make a packet around the garlic (remember to put the shiny-side in!) and roast until the center of the garlic is very soft, about 40 minutes.
- While the garlic cooks, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in the cauliflower florets, cover and cook until fork tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and spread onto a thin kitchen towel. Let cool for 5-10 minutes until cool enough to handle.
- Wrap the cauliflower in the kitchen towel and ring out as much excess moisture as you can. Really put some muscle into it, as this gives you thick and creamy cauliflower potatoes, not thin, soupy ones!
- Once you've gotten the moisture out, place the cauliflower into a large food processor, along with all the remaining ingredients. Squeeze the softened garlic cloves out add them into the food processor (*read notes!)
- Blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the food processor as necessary. You'll need to let it run a few minutes to get the cottage cheese nice and smooth.
Recipe Notes*I loved the amount of garlic in here, but Mr. FFF thought it was a little too much. I recommend adding half of the head, blending, tasting and adding more to taste!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 1 POINTS+: 2. OLD POINTS: 1
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more healthy Thanksgiving side ideas?
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!