This vegan One Pan Mexican Quinoa Casserole is SO easy, and made in the crock pot. It’s healthy, loaded with flavor and perfect for a weeknight dinner!
PIN One Pan Mexican Quinoa Casserole
If you came here looking for the most perfect crock pot meal prep recipe, then today is your lucky day.
Because this Mexican Quinoa is pretty much the EPITOME of that.
It’s super easy to make, loaded with flavor and has all kinds of healthy goodness that even the pickiest of eaters will love.
It’s the south of the border version of my healthy bbq chicken quinoa casserole and, if you dig Mexican flavors (who doesn’t) I am willing to bet it’s going to make many appearances at your dinner table…
Or lunch bag because HELLO perfect for dinner OR meal prep!
See also: you probably can’t throw ENTIRELY random things into your crock pot, they gotta be REAL ingredients that actually MAKE SENSE together. Although sometimes nonsensical things like energy quinoa breakfast bars in the slow cooker work and then you really realize the magic of this cooking device.
2. It makes your house smell REALLY amazing while it does its thang.
“WOW, your house smells so good! What kind of dog do you have?” Said no one ever.
Now, I’m sure there are many other comparisons to make in the dog vs slow cooker debate but, let’s be real, those are PRETTY compelling ARE THEY NOT?
ESPECIALLY when we’re talking about spicy, one pan Mexican quinoa casserole that is topped with ooey-gooey cheesy goodness. <–You can also totally leave the cheese off and it’s SUPER YUM. You know, for my Vegan friends. <3 <3
The only way to get some Mexi-goodness out of your dog is to put a sombrero on its head.
And, although adorable, that’s just not the same. I also think your dog might not enjoy that so much.
Now, this Mexican Quinoa Bake. It’s almost embarrassingly easy. I mean, all you really have to do is make a FEW chops, open some cans, and then the slow cooker does the rest for you.
How awesome is that right? Who wants to spend all night slaving in the kitchen when you COULD channel inner smart-person-you and get a quinoa bake in the slow cooker, which basically requires you to do NO WORK. This also allows you MORE time to binge watch your favorite guilty pleasure on Netflix ALL NIGHT LONG.
Not that I know anything about that. BUT MEREDITH GREY MIGHT.
Annnnd the only people that understand are the people that watch Grey’s Anatomy.
Besides being easy-peasy, this mexican quinoa salad is loaded with ALL the healthy goodness: chickpeas, black beans, corn, peppers, AND tomatoes with spicy goodness from homemade fajita seasoning! It’s kind of like deconstructed crock pot chicken enchiladas, but with quinoa.
Liiike, THIS is the casserole that actually made me like black beans. I usually DO NOT.
Liiiike, that time that someone told me that “you can’t taste the black beans in these brownies.” LIES LIES LIES. I COULD.
But swimming in a slow cooker of cozy, creamy quinoa and spicy south of the border flavors? SIGN THIS GIRL RIGHT UP FOR THE BLACK BEANS.
More Gluten Free Recipes
We have TONS of gluten free recipes on Food Faith Fitness! Explore them all in our gluten free Library!
After this I even started actually eating them in my everyday life. Like in that Quinoa Chickpea Avocado Salad with Black Beans! CRAZY.
This one pan Mexican Quinoa casserole is a veggie fiesta up in here folks.
And, you’re on the VIP invite list.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get crock-in’.
Sorry, had to.
I also shared the Mexican Crockpot Quinoa recipe over on Food Fanatic, so be sure to check it out there!
Similar recipes you might like
- 1 Cup Quinoa, Uncooked
- 1 Cup Frozen corn
- 2/3 Cup Reduced Sodium Chickpeas, Drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Black Beans, Drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Red Pepper, Chopped
- 1 Cup Roma Tomato, Chopped,
- 1/2 Cup Onion, Roughly chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1-1 1/2 Tbsp sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 Cups Reduced Sodium Vegetable Broth
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese, For garnish (optional)
- Fresh Cilantro, For garnish
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and place the uncooked quinoa, corn, chickpeas, black beans, red pepper, tomato, onion cumin powder, garlic, salt, pepper and adobe sauce inside, stirring until well combined.
- Pour in in the vegetable broth, stir well, and cover the pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours. Mine was perfect at 3 hours, so check it and make sure the quinoa isn’t burning.
- Once cooked, season to taste with additional salt and pepper and garnish with cheese and cilantro.
Tips & Notes:
- I preferred the quinoa with 1 ½ tablespoons of adobo sauce, because I like a little bit of kick. If you’re very sensitive to spice, I would go with one tablespoon.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
*For vegan option, leave off the cheese as a garnish.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 4 POINTS+:7 . OLD POINTS: 6
(per 1/4 of the recipe – not including cheese)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!