These blueberry high protein muffins are made gluten free with quinoa. They’re naturally sweetened and so quick and easy to make! Perfect for a healthy on the go snack!
PIN Blueberry High Protein Muffins
(photos updated 5/6/2018, narration not changed)
On this lovely morning, I bring you yet another episode of #marriedlifeconversations.
Remember the oh-so-enlightening chat that Mr. FFF and I had about energy bites? Here’s another tale for you.
The story begins as Mr. FFF comes home from school and sees these protein breakfast muffins on the counter, just sitting there waiting to meet his face.
Little did he know that I had already hid the evidence of quinoa in the cupboards, knowing that he has a weirdo “quinoa complex” and somehow believes that he doesn’t like it.
I didn’t want him to judge these quinoa muffins before he had a taste, you know?
He bit in. His face glowed. But, not like in that creepy way that your teeth glow when you’re under a black light.
In a “yum-this-muffin-is-BLOWING-MY-MIND” kind of way. You understand.
“I REALLY like these babe! They’re SO moist and tender, with the perfect amount of sweetness.”
Me: “I thought you ‘didn’t like quinoa?’”
And that, my peeps, is the story of Mr. FFF eating his words.
You know I had to take that pun and run with it. <– COULD NOT RESIST.
Now that you know that these muffins are the kind of yum that changes stone cold, quinoa hating hearts into full, beating, hearts full of L-O-V-E, let’s talk about something.
How to make muffins with protein powder
Making muffins with protein powder can be RLY RLY tricky because the protein powder can dry out the muffin REALY FAST. Which is why I decided to do a little 1-2-switch-er-oo and use quinoa to make them! Quinoa is also naturally higher in protein than other grains, adding to the protein powder to make some SRSLY high protein muffins!
Simply just cook the quinoa and then use it like you would a regular flour when making muffins. Mix it all together with the batter, put it into muffin tins and then bake until perfectly “domed” and delicious!
However, you will want to use a hotter oven than usual – 400 degrees to be exact. That extra heat helps bring up the muffin, giving it that circular top that we all loooove.
Now, let’s talk about what’s in these blueberry high protein muffins!
The dates really add a chewy texture and natural sweetness, while the blueberries BURST in juicy goodness, as notes of coconut and vanilla swirl around your taste buds. The quinoa gives them this crave-able chewy texture that I cannot get ENOUGH OF.
The best part though? You can totally make these ahead of time which means you have an easy portable, high protein snack that will keep you full until your next meal! <– I mean there’s a whack load of healthy carbs, fats AND protein here.
It’s basically the trifecta of “I’m so hungry Imma eat my arm right off” prevention.
So, go on, eat a few.
All in the name of arm safety.
Blueberry High Protein Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 400 and line a muffin tin with liners.
- Combine the uncooked quinoa and coconut milk in a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook until the milk is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and honey in the microwave until smooth and liquid.
- Add in the eggs and beat well. Then, add in the vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Mix until well combined. Add in the cooled quinoa and stir until well mixed.
- Place the diced dates in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of the protein powder and mix around. This will coat the dates, so they don't stick together and all clump together in one muffin.
- Add the remaining protein powder, dates and blueberries into the quinoa mixture. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture between 7 muffin cavities filling almost full. Bake until the top is golden brown, puffed up and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and dry, about 17-20 minutes. Let cool in the pan completely.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
(per 1 muffin – can vary based on your protein powder)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!