All the flavor and ooey-gooey cheesiness you love, and a healthy pizza chicken lettuce wrap form! All the taste without the calories!
Ok guys, it’s story time. So, it was just me and the hubs 6 month anniversary (I know, not a HUGE deal…but I thought it was kinda important!) So we wanted to do something cute and romantic to celebrate right? I had this brilliant idea of getting Chinese take out for dinner (it ain’t healthy, but anniversary calories don’t even count in my books) and then getting all dressed up….and bringing the takeout home to have an indoor, candle-lit picnic. Cute idea right? That’s what I thought.
So, we got all fancied up and went to the only Chinese restaurant in our small little town. We ordered our sweet and sour pork and sesame chicken, and they told us it would only be 5 minutes. That should have been our first red flag. Seriously, how can you make good food in 5 minutes? While we waited, we needed to get candles. We assumed that a gas station would have some, and there was one right across the street. We boogied over there only to find out that it was closed. At 7 pm. On a Saturday. What kind of gas station closes at 7 on a Saturday? We didn’t have time to go anywhere else due to the 5 minute Chinese, so we decided to fore-go candles. Back to the restaurant we went.
We then arrived home and were pretty excited to eat the food. That all changed after bite #1. It was super duper extra bready, greasy and just plain nastiness on a fork. We are troopers so we tried to get through a few more bites. However, we both started feeling icky pretty quick. I don’t know what they put in the food but we both needed to lay down as our stomachs were not happy campers. We ended up falling asleep on the couch at 8pm. It was pretty much the least romantic anniversary ever guys.
The point of this story? In the morning, the hubs said “we shoulda had pizza.”
This got my crazy little brain thinking about what would happen when you combine 2 amazing comfort foods, and so pizza lettuce wraps was born.
Everyone loves pizza. It’s just one of those things that you need to be a crazy person to not like. How can you go wrong with bread, ooey gooey cheese, and saucy goodness? You just can’t. Unfortunately, it’s not something that can be eaten too regularly if you want to keep a healthy waistline.
These yummy little lettuce wraps take away the carbiness of pizza, but still maintain the ooey gooey, cheesy sauciness that is really what makes pizza ah-may-zing. The lettuce cup also give them a little bit of a crisp crunchiness and an Asian flair that makes them so fun to eat that you don’t even notice it’s not real pizza. That might be a little bit un-true, but this is a REALLY good substitute for when you have a pizza craving but also wanna be healthy ya know? Read: Every single day of my life.
The beauty of these lettuce wraps is that they are SO versatile. You can really fill them with whatever it is that you like on your pizza. I did a Hawaiian and a “meat lovers” variation, and both were equally delicious. In the “meat lovers” I used shredded chicken and turkey bacon instead of ground beef and bacon to really lighten it up, but keep the taste. Even my carnivorous hubby gave them a stamp of approval!
Top these babies with some pizza sauce and reduced fat cheese (’cause it just ain’t pizza without cheese) and bite into ooey-gooey-can’t-believe-it’s-good-for-me Heaven.
So, as they say, have your pizza and eat it too.
- For the filling:
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 a yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 a Green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup White mushrooms, diced
- 4 Strips of turkey bacon, cooked and diced.
- 1 Small chicken breast, shredded (about 1 cup shredded)
- Salt, to taste
- Green cabagge, or butter lettuce. **
- Reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Low sugar Pizza sauce
- Turkey pepperoni slices
- Before you can eat these guys we need to do a little chop chop chop-eroo.
- In a small pot of boiling water, throw in the chicken breast until it is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, dice the onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and turkey bacon.
- Put the 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in a large pan and heat on medium-high heat.
- Add in the peppers and onions and cook until softened, about 3 min.
- Add in the mushroom and bacon and continue cooking until the bacon is crispy, around 5 minutes, stiring occasionally.
- While the veggies and bacon get cozy, its time to shred the chicken. Use two forks and shred until, well, shredded.
- Add the chicken into the pan and turn to medium. Season with salt and cook just until the chicken is warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in lettuce or cabbage wraps and top with cheese, pizza sauce and turkey pepperoni slices.
Want some more healthy pizza recipes?