This Homemade Greek Yogurt Gluten free Mac and Cheese Recipe is a healthier, protein packed dinner that has a pizza twist! Great for kids and adults!
PIN Homemade Greek Yogurt Gluten free Mac and Cheese Recipe
I just have to warn you for a second. Especially because I am aware that you could be reading this very early in the morning, and I wouldn’t want to startle you.
But, I have to yell at you. Right. NOW.
YOU GUYS, THIS IS PIZZA AND MACARONI AND CHEESE. COMBINED.
COMBINED AS IN “TOGETHER.” AS IN “IT’S ALL IN THE SAME BOWL.” AND, IT JUSTSOHAPPENS TO BE SUPER EASY, HEALTHY AND HIGH PROTEIN.
WHOA. I feel so much better getting that all off my chest. Thank you for allowing me to do that.
But, as I probably just made SUPER CLEAR x 100, I am SO pumped to share this gluten free macaroni and cheese recipe with you today.
Any way you slice it, pizza is just GOOD.
But, also because, let’s be realz for a second yo, what’s better than comfort food? How about 2 comfort foods?
Nothing. Nothing, my friends, is better than the above sentence.
So. Let’s break it down by comfort food, starting with the “Mac and Cheese” portion of this taste-bud blowing bowl of noodlies.
Like most good macaroni and cheese’s, I started with…well…macaroni noodles and cheese. I thought those would be the good building blocks to Yum town, you know?
HOW-EV-ER, Instead of the usual Cheddary goodness I used Mozzarella and Parmesan. You see how my brain is a spinnin’ here.
Nothing TOO crazy and out of the ordinary going on in our homemade Greek yogurt gluten free mac and cheese recipe, until we get to the SECRET INGREDIENT.
How to make healthy mac and cheese
The SECRET to making healthy mac and cheese is to sub some of the usual amount of cheese with Greek yogurt!
Simply melt the cheese in your pot like usual, but then stir in some 2% plain Greek yogurt at the very end and it gets HOLY SO CREAMY.
Make sure you use 2% yogurt as fat-free does NOT give you the same creamy vibes as cheese. ALSO, make sure you stir the Greek yogurt in at the end or else it will cook and be grainy and just NO.
Seriously. A protein PACKED healthy Greek yogurt mac and cheese recipe THAT TASTES LIKE PIZZA can be yours for breakfast, lunch AND DINNER.
Yea, you read that right. I said breakfast. Greek yogurt = breakfast appropriate. You agree with me.
As we mentioned above, the combo of chees-a-liciousness aids to the whole “pizza experience,” of the gluten free macaroni and cheese situation at hand. BUT, the real deal is the roasted tomatoes and turkey pepperoni.
Instead of using jarred pizza sauce, just toss your bright red orbs of vegetal yum into some olive oil and Italian seasonings and pop them in the oven. Don’t forget to add the pepperoni in too. FOR THE CRISPY.
No one wants limp, soggy pepperoni pieces no matter how many comfort foods you try to mush together into one comfort-food-transformer. It will always ends in sad-food-eating-you.
So, what’s left?
No, not eating. I know you’re excited, but don’t get ahead of the game. We’re ALLLLMOOOST there.
FIRST, you have to actually toss it all togetha to marry the mac and cheese/pizza into one happy-ooey-gooey-cheesy-BUT-NUTRITIOUS bowl of love and general warm fuzzy feelings.
THEN, you eat.
And, if you’re taste buds are anything like mine,
They’ll fall right out of your FACE.
I’m sharing the Healthy Mac And Cheese Recipe over at Julies Eats and Treats, so head there to grab it!
Other recipes you might like:
Homemade Greek Yogurt Gluten Free Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 4 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Turkey Pepperoni (50g or 30 slices)
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic salt, Divided
- 8 oz Gluten free macaroni noodles
- 6 oz Mozzarella cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (about 2/3 cups, packed)
- 1/2 Cup 2% Plain Greek Yogurt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the sliced tomato, turkey pepperoni, olive oil, 1 tsp Italian seasoning and ½ tsp Garlic Salt. Spread in one layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with a pinch of pepper.
- Bake until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 13-15 minutes. Note that the pepperoni will only take 6-7 mins to crisp up, so check them often and remove from the pan when done, continuing to cook the tomatoes until soft. Set aside
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the pasta according the package directions. Drain the cooked pasta and reserve ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Transfer the cooked pasta back into the pot and stir in ¼ cup of the Pasta water. Then add in the cheese, a little bit at a time. Stir between each addition until the cheese is fully melted, and then continue to add the cheese.
- Once the cheese is melted, stir in the Greek yogurt until creamy and well mixed. Stir in the remaining 1 tsp of Garlic salt and Italian seasoning and season with a pinch of pepper. If it’s too thick, add the remaining pasta water.
- Stir in the cooked tomatoes and pepperoni and DEVOUR.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 14 Points+: 13. Old Points: 10
STAY IN DA KNOW WITH THINGS GOING ON AT FFF (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!