Let the slow cooker do the work for you with these chipotle healthy Keto pulled pork sandwiches that are topped with creamy avocado ranch sauce! Delish!
PIN Chipotle Healthy Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker
2 things you should know about this recipe:
1. It makes your mouth really happy
2. Just like then “pho” slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches, it’s also so insanely easy that you could do it with your eyes closed.
Except, if you’re going to do that, please make sure you peek a little once you get to the part with the food processor. I lost my finger tip in a food processor battle once. Side note: I am typing this with all 10 tips in tact. It grew back. You were concerned. I know.
This slow cooker pulled pork comes out SUPER tender and insanely easy to shred. You could be all dainty and proper and use forks to shred up this bad boy, or you can be uncivilized, like myself, and just get all up in there and use your hands. You know you want to.
Side note: I tried to make this healthier by going all healthy cobb salad on this slow cooker pulled pork, and using Greek yogurt and subbing the Ranch dressing for Ranch dressing powdered mix. Do NOT do this. Unless you like things to do not, in any way, shape, or form, taste like Ranch dressing.
Is Pulled Pork Keto?
On your back deck on a hot summer night, the PERF meal to serve your family and friends at a cookout is simple: pulled pork! It’s a great meal to feed a crowd and keep them happy. If you’re following a keto diet, you’re in luck! Not only do I have SO many keto options for main dishes on my blog like easy low carb keto stir fry and desserts like keto pecan pie, NOW you can add this keto pulled pork recipe to your list of must-tries! If you serve it on lettuce instead of a bun, it is both keto AND paleo friendly. Feel free to omit the coconut sugar too. It’s a keto friendly meal that is flavorful, healthy and DELISH.
Keto Pulled Pork Ingredients
The ingredients in this tasty pork recipe really bring on the flavor, so it’s anything but boring! You’re going to love it-dress it up or keep it simple, and it’s going to be a crowd pleaser for sure! Here’s what you’ll need to grab from the store to make it:
- Medium Yellow Onion, sliced
- Fresh garlic, minced
- Coconut Sugar
- Chili Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Adobo Sauce
- Smoked Paprika
- Pork Shoulder
- Whole wheat or gluten free buns or lettuce for wraps
- Paleo ranch, for garnish
- Coleslaw mix for garnish
- Lime Juice
- Green Tabasco
How to make Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker
Slice the onion thinly and mince the garlic, placing them in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add one cup of water.
Prepare the Pork
Put all the spices for the dry rub into a small bowl and set aside. Taking your pork shoulder on a large cutting board, trim off any big visible chunks of fat. Rub the entire piece of meat with the dry spice rub.
Place the pork over top of the onions and garlic in the water and cook it in the slow cooker until it’s done!
Once the pork is cooked, drain off most of the liquid, but keep the onion and garlic and place them back into the slow cooker. On a large cutting board, shred the pork up with 2 forks and transfer it back to the slow cooker with the onions and garlic. Mix it up with the onions and garlic and keep it on the “warm” setting until ready to serve.
Serve up your healthy pulled pork on a bun or lettuce wrap and top it with ranch coleslaw mix, some green tabasco and a squeeze of fresh lime juice! DEVOUR!
How long should I cook Low Carb Pulled Pork for?
If you want to cook your pork on low, I recommend letting it cook 8-10 hours before shredding. If you’re cooking it on the high setting, cooking it for 6-8 hours before shredding it will do the trick!
How to freeze Keto Pulled Pork
If you’ve made a bunch of this tasty pulled pork for easy meals, you’re my kind of person! I’m always looking for ways to plan and cook ahead to make meal times more simple on those really busy days. To freeze, I recommend placing individual portions in smaller baggies, so that it’s easier to thaw rather than freezing it all in the same container or bag.
Other Healthy Pork Recipes
Chipotle Healthy Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker
For the Pork and rub:
- 1 Medium yellow onion sliced
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsps Fresh garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 tsp Smoked paprika
- 3 1/2 - 4 Lbs Pork shoulder excess fat removed.
- Whole wheat or gluten free hamburger buns OR lettuce wraps, for serving
- Paleo ranch, for garnish (I used Sir Kensingtons)
- Coleslaw mix for garnish optional
- Lime Juice, For garnish
- Green tabasco, For garnish
- Slice the onion and mince the garlic and place it in the bottom of your crock pot. Pour in 1 cup of water.
- Combine all the spices for the spice rub in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut any huge, visible chunks of fat off your pork shoulder and then rub it all over with the spice rub, until it is evenly coated.
- Place the pork on top of the onions, garlic and water and cook until it is tender and moist, 6-8 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
- Once the pork is cooked, strain most of the liquid out of the crock pot and place the solids (which is made up of the onions and garlic) back into the crock pot.
- Transfer the pork onto a cutting board and shred with 2 forks.
- Transfer the shredded pork back into the crock pot and mix with the onions and garlic. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve the pulled pork on a a bun or lettuce, topped with ranch coleslaw mix and a squeeze of lime juice and green tabasco.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
(Nutrition information is without buns or lettuce wraps)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!