This slow cooker pulled pork has a little “island” flair and is easy to make. Great for a weeknight meal, and makes great leftovers!
I AM SO PUMPED FOR MONDAY.
See? Remember last week when we ate mango chicken and I hated on Mondays, and then told you I was going to end that hatred?
I stick to my wurd yo’.
But really, today is a SUPER exciting day guys! I have ANOTHER book to tell you about! AND this one is a cookbook.
AND it is filled with slow cooker recipes so that you can come home to dinner for your face…ALREADY MADE.
So much caps lock so little time.
AND it’s for a good cause! I’m trying to calm down, but I CAN’T. I promise I am only yelling at you because I am realllllly excited.
So now that I’ve yelled at you for approximately 9 sentences, lemme tell you about this here little bookey-doodle:
I teamed up with over 30 other bloggers and we put together a cookbook that is CHOCK FULL of healthy, affordable slow cooker dinner recipes. We called this book “Where Slow Food and Whole Food Meet: Healthy Slow Cooker Dinners from our Kitchens to Yours.”
Just as a little taste (pun intended) here are some of the AWESOME recipes you’ll find: Chicken Burrito Bowls, Chicken Korma, Thai Pork with Vermicelli Salad and, the recipe that I contributed, Coconut Curry Beef and Broccoli.
It’s yummy. Lots of yummy.
Oh, and the slow cooker pulled pork recipe you see here? It’s ALSO in the book. So this one is a literal taste of what you’ll get!
Now. Onto a serious topic. Did you know that September is Hunger Action Month? This is a nationwide campaign mobilizing the public to take action on the issue of hunger. Did you know, the sequel,that 6 million people in the US deal with hunger issues, including 12 million children and 7 milllion seniors?
So. We wanted our book to help! Here’s what we came up with! (Warning: there are a lot of words in this post. I promise it’s worth it)
All the proceeds from the print copy of the book are going to Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida. In addition, Feeding America food banks across the country are giving the ebook version as a free gift to their donors. If you make a donation you will be given the ebook as a free gift. Here’s the link to donate and get your free copy of the ebook! http://www.feedhopenow.org/cookbook
We also have some awesome sponsors! Together, San Miguel Produce http://www.sanmiguelproduce.com/, Grimmway Farms http://www.grimmway.com/ andOld Oak Farms by RPE Produce http://www.oldoakfarms.com/ are contributing food to their local food banks AND giving $5 for every printed copy of the book that we sell. That’s in addition to the proceeds from the book that are already going to the food bank! CA-RAY-ZAY! When you buy a copy of the book, over $11 will be going to the food bank. SO great!
Plus these sponsors, along with Hamilton Beach, have put together some amazing giveaways to help launch the book! Here’s the deets:
1) Each participating blogger is giving away TWO print copies of the book. You can enter using the widget below and make sure you visit all the other bloggers for chances to WIN! The giveaway of these books is sponsored by San Miguel Produce http://www.sanmiguelproduce.com/, Grimmway Farms http://www.grimmway.com/ andOld Oak Farms by RPE Produce http://www.oldoakfarms.com/
2) Many of the participating bloggers are also giving away a Hamilton Beach Set & Forget® Programmable 6 Quart Slow Cooker (model 33464) which looks like this: http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/programmable-slow-cookers-set-and-forget-programmable-6-quart-slow-cooker-33464.html A HUGE thank you to Hamilton Beach for giving us these slow cookers to donate! They are AWESOME peeps!
3) The co-editors of the book, Christine and Jennifer, are also giving away some additional (and AWESOME prizes) so make sure to visit their blogs to find out what they are, to see who participated in the book and to see where you can go to enter to win a LOT of amazing prizes!
We’re ALMOST done, but I need to tell you about our Twitter parties!
Our main twitter party is September 18 at 9pm Eastern. Follow #slowNwholeCookbook. There will be prizes guys, so be there!
We will also be joining Courntey Crozier, a former contestant from The Biggest Loser, for her weekly #justcrunchem twitter parties. There are three dates: September 11th, September 18th and September 25th from 8-9pm Eastern. I hope to see you guys there!
Now, word break. Here’s the recipe:
Slow Cooker Island Pulled Pork
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoons and 1/2 ground cloves
- 1 teaspoons and 1/2 ground allspice
- 1 teaspoons and 1/2 thyme
- 1 teaspoons and 1/2 dry mustard
- 1 teaspoons and 1/2 coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 3 lb . boneless pork butt
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 8-10 Whole wheat hamburger buns sliced open
- BBQ sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients up to the cayenne.
- Using your fingers, rub spices together to ensure that ginger is evenly dispersed. Then, rub the spice mixture all over pork.
- Put the pork in the slow cooker fat side up and pour the apple cider over top of the pork and add in the bay leaf.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Then, remove the pork from slow cook and shred it using 2 forks.
- Skim the fat off the liquid in the slow cooker and drizzle a couple tablespoons of the liquid over the meat and stir around.
- Serve on a bun with BBQ sauce (your favorite) and sprinkled with fresh cilantro!
by Jill Holland, Sous Chef of Catering for Good and Chef Instructor of Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTRAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS! 🙂
Old Oak Farms by RPE Produce
San Miguel Produce Inc,
Subscribe to the Cook the Story newsletter: http://www.cookthestory.com/newsletter/
Want more pulled pork?
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!