This slow cooker paleo pulled pork has a little “island” flair and is easy to make. Great for a healthy weeknight meal that basically makes itself!
Pin Slow Cooker Paleo Pulled Pork
Is it just me or as soon as the weather cools down do you just wanna ram your face into a sandwich piled HIGH with pulled pork?
I feel like ram might be too graphic of a word for eating a pulled pork sandwich. But, that’s what came to my mind and that is what I am going to stick with!
I know we just ate chipotle healthy keto pulled pork and it wasn’t that long ago that we had “pho” slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches (MUST TRY!!) but I’m just going on a pulled pork bender right now, if you must know. And, I hope you’re willing to stick around for it.
Especially because this one is loaded with sweet and spicy Island flavor and is going to make you think you’re on a beach in hawaii….as long as you have a REAL good imagination, that is 😊
Why your family will LOVE this
I’m all about a healthy meal that keeps you full and tastes FABULOUS, and I know you are too. This healthy pulled pork I’ve got for you today hits ALL the points on your list of a go-to meal for you and your crew. First off, it includes good-for-you ingredients that you’ll feel great about feeding your family! Second, it’s seriously SO easy to make because your slow cooker does all the work for you! Last but not least, it’s a great make-ahead meal because it freezes really well! Pop a few bags of this pulled pork in the freezer and thaw on a busy weeknight for an easy meal!
What makes this pulled pork Paleo?
A lot of people are on the paleo train these days, and this is one of those healthy pulled pork recipes that is totally paleo-friendly! This recipe avoids processed sugar by using paleo-friendly BBQ sauce instead of regular sauce, and also avoids grains. Instead, it uses meat and a variety of flavorful spices that result in the most delicious pulled pork!
How long to cook Paleo Pulled Pork in the slow cooker?
This is seriously one of the EASIEST meals ever, but you’d never know it when it comes to taste. Just toss the ingredients in the slow cooker and let the magic happen! It will need to cook for about 8 hours on the low setting before you can shred it up with 2 forks and enjoy it!
Can I make it in an instant pot instead?
If you’re LOVING the sounds of this tasty paleo pork recipes and want to speed up the cooking time by using an instant pot, you totally can! Go ahead and give it a whirl and let me know how it goes! I have not tried this recipe with an instant pot myself.
Ways to serve Paleo Pulled Pork
This delicious pork recipe really speaks for itself: it is seriously SO flavorful and tender and is tasty all on its own! To make it a meal, though, there are lots of ways you can get creative to enjoy it with your crew. Here are a few ways I like to enjoy pulled pork:
- Rice: Pulled Pork pairs great with rice, so cook up a pot of regular white or brown rice to go with it! For a lower carb, yet still super delicious alternative, I suggest cauliflower rice! Check out how to cook cauliflower rice for a few ways to make it, or snag my coconut cauliflower rice from my mango steak recipe!
- Bun: Pulled pork on a bun is a classic summer meal and it’s great for feeding a crowd! You can use whatever type of bun or roll you want, or try out sweet potato buns for a unique and tasty option!
- Lettuce: Pulled pork can be so delicious when enjoyed as a lettuce wrap! Place it in a piece of romaine or butter lettuce, add whatever sauces and other veggies you desire, then devour!
Other Healthy Pork Recipes
Slow Cooker Paleo Pulled Pork
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds boneless pork butt
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 8-10 Whole wheat OR Gluten free hamburger buns OR lettuce for paleo option
- Paleo friendly BBQ sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients up to the cayenne.
- Using your fingers, rub spices together to ensure that ginger is evenly dispersed. Then, rub the spice mixture all over pork.
- Put the pork in the slow cooker fat side up and pour the apple cider over top of the pork and add in the bay leaf.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Then, remove the pork from slow cook and shred it using 2 forks.
- Skim the fat off the liquid in the slow cooker and drizzle a couple tablespoons of the liquid over the meat and stir around.
- Serve on a bun or lettuce with BBQ sauce (your favorite) and sprinkled with fresh cilantro!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
(per 1/10 of the recipe – no bun included)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!