There is SO much flavor in these Chipotle Chicken Bowls with Pineapple Salsa! The perfect mix of spicy and sweet in this tasty meal!
Sweet, spicy 🌶 and everything nice-y!
The last word may not have been English, but it perfectly describes this bowl.
I have to say, I am VERY sensitive to chipotle pepper. They’re a strong flavor, no?
Why you will LOVE this recipe
I am ALL ABOUT a good bowl recipe. It’s an all-in-one meal that is loaded with flavors, textures and colors and I could eat them every day! From keto low carb pizza bowls to thai peanut butter chicken quinoa bowls, I am such a fan, and today’s recipe is a new favorite of mine! Introducing whole30 Chipotle Chicken Bowls- a chicken and sweet potato bowl that is bursting with Mexican flavor and flair, topped off with a fresh tropical salsa that provides that perfect sweetness and zing you’re looking for. You and your crew are going to love these, and you’ll also love how easy they are to put together!
Like so many of the recipes here on the blog, this chicken bowl recipe uses whole, healthful ingredients to create a delicious and nutritious meal that you can feel good about feeding your family. The spices work together to create the perfect amount of flavor and the salsa provides that freshness that brings it all together in your bowl. Here’s what you’ll need to gather before getting started:
- Sweet Potato
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Breast
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chipotle Chili Powder
- Sea Salt
- Whole30 Approved BBQ Sauce
- Medjool Dates
- Medium sized Avocado
- Red Onion
How to roast Sweet Potato in the Oven
Cooking up your sweet potatoes is an important part of this recipe, as the way you cook them adds so much flavor! I recommend chopping up your sweet potatoes and roasting them to perfection- golden brown and crispy on the outside and perfectly soft and fluffy on the inside! Here’s how:
Peel your sweet potato and carefully chop it into bite sized pieces.
Place the pieces of sweet potato in a large bowl. Toss them with a splash of olive oil until they are evenly coated, then spread them onto a baking sheet that is lined with tin foil.
Place your pan of sweet potatoes into the oven. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until fork tender. Serve and enjoy!
How to make Pineapple Salsa
A chipotle chicken bowl simply isn’t a chipotle chicken bowl without some sweet and zingy, freshly made salsa to top it off and make it a meal! To make your delicious pineapple salsa, you’ll want to start by dicing up your pineapple and red onion, as well as mincing up a bit of cilantro. Place it in a small bowl and squeeze a half of a lime overtop, or as much lime as you want! Serve it on top of your chipotle chicken bowls and enjoy!
Is Chipotle Pepper spicy?
Chipotle peppers bring a slightly sweet, smoky flavor to any recipe that calls for them, and they also provide a bit of heat if you’re into mildly spicy food. They provide a earthy level of heat to a meal rather than being very bold and extremely hot. If your family and friends like a bit of spice to their food but not much more than that, these Chipotle Chicken Bowls are a great choice!
More healthy “bowl” recipes
For the bowls
- 1 Medium Sweet potato, cubed (about 150-170g)
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Lb Chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- Sea salt
- 1/4 Cup Whole30 approved BBQ Sauce (I used Primal Kitchen Unsweetened)
- 2 Medjool dates, sliced (omit if your BBQ sauce is sweetened)
- 1 Medium Avocado, diced
For the pineapple salsa:
- 1 1/4 Cup Pineapple, roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, diced
- 2 Tbsp Red onion, minced
- Juice of half a lime (plus more for serving)
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the sweet potato with 1/2 tbsp of the oil and spread onto a baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 mins, until fork tender.
- Mix all the spices together in a bowl and coat the chicken breast, sprinkling with salt.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil in a medium, oven safe pan on high heat. Once hot, sear the chicken breast on both sides until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to the oven and cooked until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees F, about 15-20 mins
- While everything cooks, place the bbq sauce and sliced date in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until hot, about 1 minute. Place into a SMALL food processor (mine is 3 cups) and process until the date is broken down (a few little chunks is ok.) You will have to stop and scrape the sides down often.
- Stir together all the pineapple salsa ingredients.
- Dice the chicken and divide between two bowls, followed by the sweet potatoes, pineapple salsa and bbq sauce. Finally, dice the avocado and divide between bowls.
- Mix it all together and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
For This Recipe, I recommend:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!