This easy Microwave Strawberry Protein Mug Cake comes together in two minutes and is healthy, whole wheat, protein packed and SO fluffy!
PIN Microwave Strawberry Protein Mug Cake
Cake for your face.
Cake for your face in a mug.
Cake for your face in a mug that you can eat RIGHT NOW.
Cake for your face in a mug that you can eat RIGHT NOW and has PROTEIN.
Ok. I don’t really know what I’m doing. I’ll stop.
I can’t lie to you. This is my favorite mug cake. Sure, I liked the low carb keto mug cake, banana bread in a mug and vegan coconut flour mug cake but you guys KNOW I love my protein (remember I wrote a post on 15 ways to increase your protein intake) so I am JAZZED that this one has protein powder!
Protein Powder Cake for Breakfast!
“Cake is for dessert only” is such a closed minded statement, am I right!? I mean, I say we need to make that idea a thing of the past, who’s with me? Cake should be for ANYTIME of day- Sugar Free Angel Food Cake, Paleo Carrot Cake with Almond Flour, just give me all the cake and I’ll be a happy girl! It should be allowed as a snack, as a dessert, even as a nourishing and healthy breakfast! And with THIS delicious protein mug cake recipe, you really can have your cake and eat it too! I mean, it’s loaded with protein, it’s filling, not to mention the ingredients are nourishing and it tastes amazing- kind of like a strawberry protein shake in cake form!
The Importance of Protein
Something that I love about this protein powder mug cake is the fact that it has PROTEIN. Why is protein so important though? Protein actually is vital to SO many of your body’s functions. It transports and stores nutrients, it is used to build and repair tissues, and it also provides your body with the energy it needs to function.
Protein Mug Cake Ingredients
You’re going to love THE list of ingredients for this cake because they are healthy and the cake is refined sugar free! Here they are:
- White Whole Wheat Flour
- Strawberry Protein powder
- Baking Powder
- Coconut Oil
- Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
How to Make Protein Mug Cake
In a Medium bowl, add the white whole wheat flour, strawberry protein powder, baking powder and salt and stir to combine.
In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the honey and coconut oil together until dissolved (about 30 seconds).
Pour the honey mixture, greek yogurt and almond milk into a well in the dry mixture. Mix together until well incorporated.
Lightly spray a mug (mine was 12oz) with cooking spray and pour the batter into it.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook on high until it’s done. Be sure to watch it, though, to make sure your cake doesn’t explode in there! Allow it to cool for a minute while you stir together the “frosting”.
Top your cake with frosting or topping of choice and enjoy!
How Long to Microwave Mug Cakes?
When making delicious mug cakes like this one, it’s important to know that the time may vary from cake to cake and microwave to microwave. My microwave is 1000 watts and the perfect cook time for my cake in a 12 oz mug was exactly 1 minute and 10 seconds. You may need to tweak this timing a little, though, so watch your cake closely as it cooks.
Other Topping Ideas
Toppings can make a cake SO much better! Here are some more ideas to jazz up your mug cake in the morning:
- Nut Butter: Add a drizzle of almond butter, cashew butter, or oatmeal cookie granola butter.
- Other frosting: Snag the frosting from my Funfetti Breakfast Quinoa for a colorful, delish addition to your mug cake!
- Fresh Fruit: Chop up fresh strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries and serve it on top with a bit of regular or coconut whipped cream!
Other Healthy Protein Desserts
For the cake:
Cream cheese "frosting"
- 1 Tbsp Reduced-fat cream cheese softened
- 1 Tbsp Strawberry protein powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Greek yogurt
- Truvia to taste or sweetener of choice
Greek yogurt "frosting:
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Strawberry protein powder
- Truvia to taste or sweetener of choice
- In a medium bowl, stir together the white whole wheat flour, protein powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt the honey and coconut oil in the microwave (about 30 seconds.)
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the honey mixture, Greek yogurt and almond milk. Stir until smooth and well combined.
- Lightly spray a mug (mine was 12 oz) with cooking spray and pour the batter in. Microwave for 1 minute and 10 seconds, watching the microwave closely to make sure that your cake isn't exploding.
- Let cool for 1 minute and stir together topping of choice in a small bowl.
- Top with "frosting" and DEVOUR
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!