This easy quinoa crusted chicken with goat cheese is a healthy and gluten-free alternative to breaded chicken! A perfect, quick meal for busy weeknights that both kids and adults will love!
Table of Contents
Why You Will LOVE This Recipe?
Let me introduce you to your new, go-to weeknight dinner: Quinoa Crusted Chicken! There might be a lot of quinoa recipes with chicken out there, but this meal is one of a kind! The quinoa crust is deliciously crispy and crunchy and golden, and the chicken inside is delightfully, almost impossibly, tender! And, oh wait, did I mention the goat cheese? Yeah, it really doesn’t get better than this!
And I know what you’re thinking. You’re unsure about this recipe, because everything you’ve heard about quinoa is that it’s just kind of… Boring? Plain? Flavourless? Well, let me stop you right there, because everything you’ve heard is wrong! The beauty of quinoa is that it’s a blank canvas! It’s super versatile and you can cook it and flavour it in so many different ways.
Anyway, I’m now on a mission to change everyone’s mind about quinoa! Which starts with this hard truth: boring quinoa can only be blamed on one thing, and that’s a boring recipe. There! I said it!! Well, lucky for you, I’ve got a recipe here that’s far from boring! And I know it’s not nice to brag, but I guarantee this will become an instant favourite.
What do you Need to Make Quinoa Crusted Chicken?
Another reason this is such a great dinner recipe is that you’ll probably already have most of the ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Uncooked quinoa
- Extra-aged goat cheese – this is a hard cheese that can be grated, not the usual soft, crumbly goat cheese. Substitute for parmesan if you prefer!
- An egg
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Your choice of garnish – I recommend roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes or fresh basil.
You’ll also need either a spice grinder, magic bullet, or other very small blending device to turn half of the quinoa into a fine flour. Alternatively, you can get store-bought quinoa flour and skip this step!
Is Quinoa Chicken Good for You?
Definitely yes! Let’s start with quinoa– it’s actually a superfood! The seeds are full of all those good vitamins and minerals, and are also high in protein and fiber! Eating quinoa also keeps you feeling full for longer, so it can help with weight loss too! On top of all that, the antioxidants in quinoa can lower your risk of heart disease. Amazing, right?!
And of course, as we know, chicken breasts are super lean and packed with protein while being low-calorie. Combine the two and you’ve got yourself a winner chicken dinner!
Is Quinoa Crusted Chicken Gluten-Free?
Yes! This quinoa chicken recipe is gluten-free!! It’s a great, healthy alternative to breaded chicken. Quinoa is a whole grain that doesn’t contain any gluten.
How to Get the Perfect Crust on Your Chicken
I’ve got a few secret tips for you to help you achieve that perfect, golden crust on your chicken! The result will be so good that your quinoa crusted chicken will rival even the best breaded chicken tenders or schnitzel.
- Slice your chicken breasts in half to make two thinner, more even fillets. Or, cover the breasts in plastic wrap and use a rolling pin or tenderizer to pound the chicken into a more consistent thickness. This will help them cook evenly all around!
- Make sure to pat your chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. The quinoa flour and crust will stick better to the chicken this way!
- Brush off any excess clumps of quinoa flour before dipping into the egg white mixture.
- After transferring the chicken breasts into the cooked quinoa and cheese mixture, press gently to make sure the whole fillet is covered.
- Finally, if you want them extra crispy, spray the quinoa covered breasts with a little cooking oil so that the crust can turn a lovely, golden brown! Oh my gosh, my mouth is watering just thinking about how tasty these are.
What Goes Well With Quinoa Chicken?
I’ll try to limit my suggestions, because there are just sooo many ways that you can serve these delicious cheesy-crusted chicken breasts! Here are some of my favourites:
- The simple but classic combination– serve your chicken with a side of sauteed broccolini and healthy mashed potatoes. The contrast between the creamy potatoes and crunchy chicken crust is so good!
- Go for a Southern twist! Sub the Italian seasoning for Cajun seasoning and pair with homemade, oven-baked sweet potato fries (conveniently baked at the same temperature as the quinoa chicken!) or super easy air-fryer sweet potato fries. I also like to whip up this refreshing apple coleslaw which is always a hit!
- Serve your quinoa chicken as the protein alongside this low-carb, gluten-free avocado pesto pasta salad that uses zucchini noodles!
- Take this summery Mexican grilled corn salad to the next level by topping it with bite-sized pieces of your quinoa crusted chicken!
Now, since I know you’re all gonna be asking me for more chicken and quinoa recipes after trying this one, I’m including a bonus recommendation! This easy and healthy BBQ chicken quinoa casserole is full of those rich flavors that you only get from letting all your ingredients simmer in a slow cooker for a couple of hours. It’s sweet, it’s spicy, it’s smokey, it’s divine!! Seriously, go try it!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Uncooked quinoa divided
- 1/2 Cup Extra-Aged Goat Cheese Grated and divided*
- 1 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 Large egg white
- 1/2 Lb Chicken breasts 2 medium breasts
- Sliced roasted red peppers for garnish (From a jar, or I have a tutorial HERE)
- Sliced fresh basil for garnish
- Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil and stir in 1/4 cup of the uncooked quinoa. Cover, turn the heat to low and cook until all the water is absorbed (about 15-20 minutes.) Set aside to let the quinoa cool.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup of uncooked quinoa into a spice grinder (or a magic bullet!)** and process until ground into a fine flour. Pour the quinoa flour into a large, shallow plate.
- Transfer the cooled, cooked quinoa into a large bowl and add in 1/4 cup of the grated Goat Cheese, the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well and pour into a large, shallow plate.
- Pour the egg white into a large shallow plate.
- Dredge each breast into the quinoa flour, pressing to get it evenly coated. Then, transfer each breast into the egg white, also making sure to evenly coat it. Finally, transfer the breasts into the cooked quinoa/cheese mixture, really making sure to coat each side. You will really have to press the quinoa in to make it stick. You will probably have leftover quinoa flour and cooked quinoa!
- Place the breasts onto the prepared baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Bake until lightly golden brown and crispy, about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn your oven to high broil, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese on the chicken and broil until melted, only about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced roasted red pepper and basil and DEVOUR
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
(per 1 chicken breast, using all the quinoa but you will probably end up not using some)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!