This Dairy Free Vegan Caramel Sauce is quick and easy, and made with coconut milk! Perfect for ice cream, baking or anything else!
PIN Dairy Free Vegan Caramel Sauce
I am totally team caramel sauce over team chocolate sauce, and so is Mr. FFF
So, when we discovered he can’t handle dairy, I was like I better get to it and make a sauce that he can eat.
And here we are with this INSANELY easy, minimal ingredient kind recipe that even people who can eat dairy will LOVE
Is caramel vegan?
I could go on and on (and on and on) about caramel sauce and how much I love it. It’s smooth, it’s rich, it’s creamy and it’s downright decadent. The perfect sauce to drizzle over an ice cream sundae, to serve with apple pie, to dip fruit in or to incorporate in baking of all kinds!
Most caramel sauces use cream to add that thickness and richness that makes it SO AMAZING, so are therefore not vegan friendly. However, THIS vegan caramel sauce recipe is just as rich, indulgent and tasty but forgoes the cream! You’re going to love it and all your dairy sensitive/vegan buddies are going to go wild over it!
Dairy Free Substitutions
If you are eating a vegan friendly diet, have an allergy or sensitivity to dairy products, or simply try to avoid it for any variety of reasons, this caramel is for you! You’d be surprised how many recipes that call for dairy can easily be tweaked a bit to accommodate your dairy free needs! For this dairy free caramel sauce, here’s what I swap out:
- Butter: Instead of dairy butter, I opt for unsalted dairy free butter.
- Cream/Milk: I use coconut milk instead, just make sure it’s the full fat kind!
Dairy Free Vegan Caramel Sauce Ingredients
Another plus that has me RAVING about this recipe is how EASY it is to make! You might be surprised to know that It uses only 3 ingredients, but transforms into the most delicious sauce you’ll ever taste! For this healthy caramel sauce, you will need:
- Unsalted Dairy Free Butter
- Full fat coconut milk
How to Make Dairy Free Caramel Sauce
Easy, rich, delish- let’s get to it! Making this caramel sauce is super simple, so you’ll be ready to enjoy it in no time! Here’s how to make it:
In a medium saucepan, cook the sugar over medium heat. Be sure to swirl the pan every once in a while to ensure that the sugar melts evenly, and cook it until it is golden brown. This should take approximately 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and whisk in the butter until completely melted. Gradually add in the coconut milk, while whisking constantly.
Pour the hot caramel through a fine strainer into a heat proof container. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Heat it up for a few seconds before use if it becomes too thick!
Now wasn’t that literally the easiest recipe EVER!? Now that we’ve got our dairy free vegan caramel sauce made, here are a few ways to enjoy it:
- Apple Crisp: drizzle it over a vegan dessert for that added touch such as Paleo Vegan Apple Crisp with Coconut Flour or Easy Vegan Gluten Free Apple Crisp Crumble
- Ice Cream: add an extra bit of YUM to Almond Joy Coconut Ice Cream Bars, Cookie Dough Banana Ice Cream, or Chickpea Cookie Dough Homemade Icecream Cake
Other Vegan Dessert Recipes
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 5 Tbsp Unsalted Dairy Free butter (regular butter works too if not vegan)
- 1/2 Cup Plus 1 Tbsp Full-fat coconut milk
- In a medium saucepan, cook the sugar over medium heat, swirling the pan every so often to make sure that the sugar is melting evenly, until the sugar is a deep golden brown color (about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the butter until melted.
- Whisking CONSTANTLY (DO NOT STOP EVER) gradually add the coconut milk.
- Pour the caramel through a fine strainer into a heat proof container.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
- If the mixture gets to thick, just microwave it for a few seconds before using,
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!