These Whole Wheat Healthy Vegan Pancakes are so fluffy! You’d never know they are healthy, whole grain and dairy/egg-free! Your new go to recipe!
Table of Contents
There is not a day that goes by where I do not want to eat pancakes.
Whether it’s a stack of fluffy cottage cheese pancakes, oatmeal protein pancakes, healthy gluten free buckwheat pancakes or gluten free paleo sweet potato pancakes, I do not discriminate. Give a stack to me and I will douse it with sugar (not maple syrup because I’m weird like that and don’t like soggy pancakes) and GO TO TOWN.
But these pancakes?
Mr. FFF and I both tasted them and our eyes LIT UP because holy WHOA. These whole wheat pancakes are soft, SO FLUFFY and SO flavorful yet somehow, they have no eggs and are filled with magical, healthy whole-grain goodness!
Are pancakes vegan?
Typically, pancakes are NOT vegan because they use eggs to bind them together and make them fluffy and light, as well as milk for the liquid. But THESE healthy vegan pancakes are vegan because they are totally egg free and use nondairy milk instead of cow’s milk!
How to Make a Vegan Egg
Just like in the eggless chocolate chip cookies, we’re using a mix of water, neutral flavored oil and baking powder to make the egg. This works well because it provides the fat that egg typically provides, the lift that egg provides, and the oil also gives some really amazing flavor to these easy healthy pancakes vegan.
Like most pancakes, you need a few basic ingredients to make these happen in your life:
- White whole wheat flour
- Avocado Oil
- Baking powder
- Almond Milk (or check out how to make oat milk and use that instead!)
How to Make Healthy Vegan Pancakes
Making these pancakes is SUPER simple and quick. Perfect for weekend breakfasts or even meal prepping and freezing ahead!
Mix the dry ingredients – the flour, sugar and salt- together in a small bowl.
Whisk together the water, oil and baking powder to make the “egg.” Then whisk in the vanilla and almond milk
Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until JUST combined, but still a little lumpy
Cook on a 300-degree griddle for 3-4 minutes per side!
Douse with maple syrup and go to town!
Top Tips for Fluffy Pancakes
There are 3 main tips to remember when you want to make BIG, fluffy pancakes and they are the key to knocking this healthy vegan pancake recipe OUT OF THE PARK:
Don’t over mix
Just like the whole wheat blueberry muffins, you want to mix your batter until JUST MOISTENED. You should still see very tiny lumps in the mixture. Don’t go to town and whisk until totally smooth.
Don’t let the batter rest too long
Letting the batter rest can kill your baking powder, preventing your pancake from rising!
Don’t press your pancakes down
After your flip your pancakes, you will see that the center puffs up when it starts to cook. DO NOT PRESS IT DOWN or you will press some of the air out, leaving flat, lifeless pancakes!
I made these plain and think they are the BEST healthy vegan pancakes, but you could mix them up! Some great additions would be:
- Dairy free chocolate chips
- Diced apples (maybe with some cinnamon?)
- Toasted coconut flakes
Really, these pancakes are YOUR canvas and I guarantee you’re going to be making them again and again!
Other Healthy Pancake Recipes:
- 1 Cup White whole wheat flour (116g)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 Tbsp Warm water
- 2 Tbsp Avocado oil (or any neutral flavored cooking oil)
- 4 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened almond milk
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Set aside and Pre heat your griddle to medium heat (300 degrees).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the water, oil and baking powder until frothy. Add in the vanilla and almond milk and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk until JUST combined. The batter should have small lumps in it.
- Grease your griddle. Fill a 1/4 cup measuring cup about 2/3 of the way full and pour onto the griddle, spreading the batter out slightly. Repeat with all the batter. Do not make them bigger than this or they are hard to flip!
- Cook until the bottom if golden brown, about 3-3 1/2 minutes. Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 4 POINTS+: 1. OLD POINTS: 2
(per 1 pancake, based on the recipe making 8)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!