When I tell you that these are the best gluten free chocolate chip cookies, I feel NO QUALMS about it.
Liiiiiike, TOTALLY 100% KNOW that they are.
You know how cookies at bakeries are SUPER soft and chewy and basically perfect? THESE ARE LIKE THAT.
Except you know, without gluten and without ANY BUTTER OR OIL WHATSOEVER. I know your mind is BLOWN.
You all know about my obsession with avocados. They’re SO good on their own or as a sneaky-heart-healthy-ninja in things like mango avocado smoothie with watermelon or sweet potato salad with avocado pesto.
But, lately, I’ve been doing some MEGA sneaky avocado shenanigans in BAKING RECIPES by using your favorite, ULTRA creamy green healthy-fat friend instead of butter OR oil.
Think it can’t work?
SPOILER ALERT: it DOES.
Avocado made the most perfectly light and fluffy paleo german chocolate cake or paleo chocolate avocado cake with coconut flour and paleo breakfast avocado cookies with kale and now it’s injecting its magical little self into these super easy healthy chocolate chip avocado cookies.
Aside from the avocado situation that is going on in these cookies made with avocado, this gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe is made from one of my favorite ingredients: oat flour!
Do you know how to make oat flour in 1 minute? Like I said, EZ PZ.
Oat flour bakes up pretty similar to “wheat flour” AND adds some yummy whole grain goodness to our light and fluffy, SUPER chewy-with-melty-chocolate-chips cookie. <– These cookies straight out of the oven?
Ohmigosh. So much HEAVEN.
The other secret-except-not-so-secret-anymore ingredient is just a LITTLE bit of cornstarch. Like the whipped gluten free shortbread cookies, there is something about adding a little HINT of this ingredient that gives cookies that ULTRA soft and perfectly chewy texture that usually only comes from something you did NOT make yourself.
Look at you. Givin’ your local bakery a run for its MONEY.
Buuuut, if your bakery dreams are more in the realm of cookie BARS, try these gluten-free chocolate chip cookie bars from My Gluten-Free Kitchen!
There’s also a combination of sugars in the recipe that truly does make these the best gluten free cookies.
Typically, I like to serve you desserts that are made entirely of coconut sugar, honey or agave but, SOMETIMES, you just gotta do a little cane sugar action. This is VRY VRY much the case if you’re trying to make these avocado chocolate chip cookies.
Cane sugar helps cookies spread and brown sugar (or coconut sugar in our case) helps cookies become CHEWY. Too much cane sugar and you have thin, crispy cookies that are NOT chewy IN THE LEAST.
On the other hand, too much coconut sugar and you have SUPER chewy cookies…that don’t spread at all and are just awkward little balls of dough WISHING to be cookies.
So, the two together? COOKIE MARRIAGE PERFECTION.
Chilling the dough also firms up both the cane sugar and avocado, so that it doesn’t spread out TOO much when baking. <– This is another SUREFIRE way to guarantee that your mouth with experience TRUE and SUPREME chewy cookie NIRVANA.
SRSLY. I know you want to be eating this avocado cookie recipe, liiike, YESTERDAY. BUT DO NOT SKIP THE CHILLIN’ STEP.
You have now learned ALL the secretes to making the best chocolate chip avocado cookies.
What you do with them is up to you.
Buuuut, I suggest that you PUT THEM INTO ACTION.
For step-by-step instruction of this recipe, watch my video tutorial below:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE! New recipes posted each week!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Cookies
These Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Cookies are big, soft and chewy! You'd never know they are butter/oil free, gluten free, low fat and only 104 calories!
- 2 1/2 Cups Oat flour 270g,
- 2 tsps Non-GMO Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2/3 Cup Avocado mashed (150g)
- 3/4 Cup Raw Organic cane sugar
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 2 Large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsps Pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Mini chocolate chip
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oat flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together the mashed avocado, cane sugar and coconut sugar until well combined. Add in the egg yolks and vanilla extract and beat again until smooth and combined. If you have a few small pieces of avocado, it’s totally ok.
- Stir in the flour mixture and the chocolate chips until a sticky dough forms. Make sure to really scrape down the sides and get all the flour mixed in.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hour – to overnight.*
- Once chilled, spray 2 cookies sheets with cooking spray and preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Drop the dough by rounded Tablespoons full onto the prepared cookie sheets, pressing out slightly. You want the balls to still have some height to them.
- Bake until the tops of the cookies just look set, about 13-14 minutes. They will feel very soft, but they cook more as they cool.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Don’t skip the chilling! It makes the dough easier to work with, and makes the cookies nice and chewy! Also, note that the longer you chill the dough, the easier it is to work with!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfit
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMARTPOINTS: 4 POINTS+: 3. OLD POINTS: 2
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!