This crepe cake is made with whole wheat flour to keep it lighter. This impressive dessert is A LOT easier than you might think!
One. Pound. Of. Chocolate
Just throwing that out there.
If you’re Friday morning wasn’t going so well, you’re welcome.
And, if it was, methinks it’s about to get even better.
You’re welcome, the sequel.
Oh, and if that wasn’t enough, I have another thought for you:
BAILEYS Coffee Creamer Irish Cream. WITH 1 pound of chocolate.
BUT WAIT! There’s more!
If you make this cake, we’ll also include some crepes and coffee.
Which are breakfast items.
Are you reconsidering that bowl of oatmeal and cup ‘O Joe?
If not? More for me.
You guys, this cake may be the most decadent thing that I have ever shared with you here on FFF….it may also be the most epic-ally delicious.
I have been wanting to make a crepe cake for a loooooong time. I first saw one at IHOP (you know my love for that place) and knew that one also needed to happen in the FFF Kitchen.
When BAILEYS Coffee Creamers gave me the chance to try their new flavours, I knew this was the perfect opportunity.
We tried both the “Chocolatini” and “Cinnamon Dolce” flavours, and we basically wanted to drink them straight up. Our mornings have consisted of a LITTLE bit of coffee with our creamer. So.Much.Win.
Then, I went to the store to buy some more (sidenote: POETRY!) and all the new flavours were GONE. I cry.
Clearly, everyone else had also discovered the yum, and had been having the same mornings.
So, I altered my plans and used some of the classic Irish Cream flavour, but I think the Chocolatini would also be ah-may-zing if you are a lucky-pants person enough to find it.
I mean, what’s better than chocolate?
MORE CHOCOLATE. ALL the chocolate.
I’ll calm down.
A few fun facts about this cake:
- You should totally make it right before a party that requires you to dress up. Your costume? The monster from the chocolate lagoon.
Original AND delicious. DOUBLE THREAT.
Seriously though, when I made this, both my kitchen and I were COVERED in chocolate.
I also can’t confirm or deny that I caught my dog licking the WALLS. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that my dog is about a foot tall. How I got it down there, I’ll never know.
But, I’m going with magic. It makes me feel like less of a messy human.
- Contrary to what this beauty looks like, it’s actually purdy easy.
Now, I cannot tell a lie because my Momma taught me not to, so I can’t tell you that it isn’t time consuming. HOW-EV-ER, it just requires you to make some crepes and then stand around, watch TV, spread chocolate all over said crepes, and then stack ‘em up.
Like a foodie Jenga. FUN.
I also highly encourage licking the spatula clean between each layer. It spreads easier that way.
Or something like that. You understand.
The final point:
- It’s like dessert for breakfast OR breakfast for dessert.
Move over Brinner because Bressert is coming to a face near you.
- For the crepes:
- 2 Cups Whole wheat pastry flour (8oz)
- 2 Cups BAILEYS Coffee Creamer Original Irish Cream Flavour
- 1 Cup Strong, brewed coffee
- 4 tsp Olive oil
- 4 Eggs
- For the Ganache: *
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- ¾ Cup BAILEYS Coffee Creamer Original Irish Cream Flavour
- 3 Tbsp Light corn syrup
- 18 Oz Semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- Coffee beans, for garnish (optional)
- Place all the crepe ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and combined. Place the crepe batter into the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- In a large sauce pan, combine the whipping cream, ¾ cup BAILEYS Coffee Creamer and light corn syrup over medium heat. Bring the mixture to just boiling and remove from heat.
- Add in the chopped chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Then, whisk the chocolate until totally smooth and melted.
- Pour the ganache into a large bowl and refrigerate until solid throughout, about 3 hours.
- After the batter has chilled for one hour, spray a crepe pan (or small pan) with cooking spray and heat on medium heat.
- Using a scant ¼ cup scoop the batter into the pan and tilt with a circular motion so that the batter coats the pan evenly.
- Cook the crepe until the edges begin to go golden brown and lift away from the sides of the pan. Use a thin spatula to lift the side of the crepe of the pan, and then quickly flip the crepe with your fingers and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Place the cooked crepe onto a plate and repeat until all the batter is gone, stacking the crepes on the plate. Place the cooked crepes into the refrigerator to cool until the ganache is ready.
- Once the ganache is solid throughout, beat it with an electric hand mixer until it turns lighter in color and is soft and fluffy.
- To assemble the cake:
- Place one crepe down onto a plate. Drop a heaping Tbsp of whipped ganache on top and spread out very thinly to cover the whole crepe (an offset spatula will help you out A LOT here!) Add another crepe on top and repeat until you get to the last crepe **
- Add another 2 Tbsp of ganache onto the top of the cake and smooth out. Then spread some of the whipped ganache over the sides of the cake until you can no longer see the edges of the crepe, and it is smooth and even.
- Place the cake back into the refrigerator until the ganache is set, about 30 minutes.
- While the cake sets, place the remaining ganache back into the microwave for 10-20 seconds until it is just melted, you don't want it too hot. Pour it into a liquid measuring cup and let it stand and come to room temperature until the first layer of ganache sets.
- One the first layer is set, place the cake on a cooling rack set over top of a parchment lined baking sheet. Pour the ganache over (if you make the whole batch of ganache, start by pouring only half) the cake, letting it drip down the sides.
- Smooth the ganache out over the whole cake. Garnish with coffee beans if desired and place back into the refrigerator until ready to serve! ***
**If some of the crepes are a lot bigger than the others, just pull a little bit of the sides off. It's ok if they aren't totally perfect, as you are going to cover all the sides with chocolate.
*** Cake can be covered and made a day ahead if desired.
GUESS WHAT? There’s still more! Now you can make your own crepe cake, because BAILEYS Creamers is being TOTALLY rad and is going to send one lucky winner a pack of coupons to try the creamers themselves! Trust me, you guys are gonna love these!
Entry is supa simple! Just use the widget below. Good luck!
Giveaway is open to residents of the USA and Canada only, and to participants 18 years of age or older. The Giveaway will run from Friday, August 15/2014 12:00am EST to Friday August 22/2014 12:00am EST. A winner will be chosen and displayed on this page within 48 hours of the closing of the giveaway. The winner has 48 hours to respond to email to claim the prize. If 48 hours go by, a new winner will be chosen.
Want more chocolate?