These whole wheat blueberry pancakes are big, fluffy and creamy thanks to the addition of Ricotta Cheese! Easy, healthy and packed with protein!
PIN Whole wheat blueberry pancakes
Big, pillowy-soft pancakes bursting with juicy berries and all around yumminess? I mean, what is NOT to love!
You guys know that I am a pancake queen. I love getting creative with flavors like brownie vegan pancakes or buckwheat pancakes with roasted peaches. But, when it comes down to it, I’m a really simple girl and blueberry pancakes (or blueberry kefir pancakes!) will always have my heart.
Especially these ones, because this recipe is from my Auntie Lonnie, who is no longer with us, but was the BEST cook. She made these for me growing up (I just tweaked them to be whole wheat!) and they remind me of my childhood! They actually sparked the cottage cheese pancakes because I figured if ricotta cheese makes pancakes amazing (it does!) why not cottage cheese?
Health Benefits to Whole Grains
We all know that whole wheat flour is “better” than white all purpose flour, but why is that? Here are a few benefits of eating whole grains:
- Nutrient dense: whole grains contain a wide variety of vitamins and minerals such as protein, fiber, B vitamins, antioxidants, and trace vitamins to keep your body running well.
- Disease Fighting Properties: Not only do whole grains aid in the fight against illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, but they also work to prevent them too!
- Support Digestion: They keep things moving!
Healthy Blueberry Pancakes Ingredients
When whipping up a batch of pancakes on a Sunday morning, adding some blueberries is par for the course. Blueberry pancake recipes are such a classic in my house, and I love that! Blueberries are seriously so good in all kinds of breakfast foods like Healthy Whole Wheat Blueberry muffins and Blueberry Gluten Free Greek Yogurt Waffles, so adding them into your pancakes is a MUST! Here are the ingredients you will need:
- White whole wheat flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Reduced-fat Ricotta Cheese
- Pompeian Olive Oil
- Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
How to Make Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes with Ricotta
Straight forward shopping list, am I right? You may even already have all these ingredients in your pantry, fridge and freezer already. If that’s the case, let’s get started!
Spray a griddle with cooking oil and heat to medium heat.
Stir together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside. In another bowl, stir together the eggs, ricotta cheese, and olive oil until well combined. Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined. The batter will be lumpy. Gently fold in the blueberries.
Drop the batter by ¼ cup portions onto the heated, oiled griddle and gently spread them out, but you want to keep them nice and thick still. Cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
Top with syrup and DEVOUR!!
What is the Trick to Fluffy Pancakes?
When cooking up pancakes, I know that I want ALL THE TIPS and tricks to make them the fluffiest and best they can be! Pancakes shine all on their own but if I can make
them thick, fluffy, and cook them to perfection, I’m all about it! Here’s a few I have up my sleeve when it comes to this Best Blueberry Pancakes Recipe:
- Use ricotta cheese: The extra fat will make them super fluffy and tender!
- Don’t overmix the batter. You should see small lumps of flour, which will keep the pancakes airy and fluffy!
- Only flip the pancakes once per side: flipping too much can overcook the pancakes and make them less tender!
How to Freeze Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes with Ricotta
Have you overshot and made too many pancakes for your brunch get together? Or perhaps you MEANT to make a ton because you want to meal prep for those busy weekday mornings on the way to school or work!
Pancakes are a great make ahead meal because they freeze well and are easy to pull out of the freezer and reheat! All you need to do is stack the pancakes separated by thin sheets of parchment paper, then put into a zipper lock freezer bag and pop it in the freezer! The pancakes will freeze well as they won’t stick together this way, and they will last for up to a month in your freezer! Hello easy, delicious breakfasts!
Other Healthy Pancake Recipes
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 Cup White whole wheat flour 120g
- 1/4 Cup Granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup Reduced-fat Ricotta cheese
- 3 Tbsp Pompeian Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Blueberries fresh or frozen
- Spray a griddle with cooking spray and heat to medium heat
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, ricotta cheese, and olive oil until well mixed.
- Add the ricotta mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just moistened, the batter will be a little thick and lumpy. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Drop the dough onto the heated griddle, using a scant 1/4 cup. Use your spoon to spread out slightly, but you want them nice and thick.
- Cook until golden brown and the edges begin to firm up, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and repeat another 2-3 minutes.
- Top with ALL THE SYRUP and DEVOUR!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!