These shredded Sweet Potato Hash Browns are easy and better than store bought! Naturally gluten free and healthy! Learn the secrets to making them crispy!
PIN Shredded Easy Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Move over hash browns from a bag because this HOMEMADE sweet potato hash brown recipe is HERE TO STAY.
I don’t know about you, but I never knew how easy it was to make my own hash browns until I made this easy recipe and now I don’t think I will EVER GO BACK.
Whether you serve them with oven baked eggs or slices of crispy bacon or make them to feed a crowd alongside some healthy gluten free breakfast casserole or breakfast quinoa casserole, they are going to just be such a HIT.
But, before we even dive into making them, we need to get back to making shredded sweet potato hash browns 101.
How to grate a sweet potato
The very basic part of this recipe is grating a sweet potato, so let’s break that down.
Step 1: Peel your sweet potato.
This is not the time to try to eat sweet potato skins, because it just doesn’t taste great in these hash browns. So, grab that vegetable peeler and get peeling!
Step 2: Grate
Grab a large box grater and use the large-holed side. Get a firm grip on your peeled sweet potato and grate it into the box grater. You may have to lift it up and empty it out every so often, so the potato doesn’t build up!
VOILA! That is the hardest part of making sweet potato hash browns!
How to Make Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Now you’re armed and ready to enter into crispy-carby BLISS
You’ve done this. Grate your sweet potato using your box grater
Place your shredded sweet potato into a large kitchen towel and ring out ALL the excess moisture. This is similar to making a cauliflower pizza and is a very important step that you cannot miss!
Mix your dry sweet potato with a little bit of cornstarch until all the shreds are well coated.
Heat your olive oil up in a large non-stick skillet on medium high and add all the shredded potatoes into it, packing them down together.
Cook until the bottom is golden brown and crispy – about 3-5 minutes. They burn fast so watch them closely!
Use your spatula to separate them into 4 squares (this makes it easier to flip!) flip them and then cook another 3-5 minutes
Secrets to CRISPY Sweet Potato Hash Browns
There are 3 things you cannot skip to make the crispiest hash browns in ALL THE LAND
- Ringing out the moisture – this is the main reason these are so crispy – you ring out all the water content in a kitchen towel. Having nice dry sweet potatoes ensures they will stay crispy!
- Cornstarch – tossing your dry sweet potatoes in cornstarch dries them out even more! And, when oil touches cornstarch, it crisps up!
- Lots of oil – this is not the time to skimp on the oil! If you want crispy golden-brown goodness, you need the oil!
Sometimes all you really need in life is potatoes and everything just seems a little more bearable, you KNOW.
Other Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes:
- 1 Large sweet potato (about 1 lb)
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- Peel the potato and grate it using the biggest side of a cheese grater.
- Transfer the potatoes into a kitchen towel and ring out AS MUCH water as you can. This is the secret to crispyness! Once the water is drained, transfer the potato to a bowl and toss with the cornstarch.
- Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp of the oil in a LARGE nonstick pan on medium heat. Once hot, add in the potatoes and use a spatula to press them down and together. Cook until the bottom is golden brown about 4-5 minutes. They burn quick, so watch them!
- Use a spatula to cut the potatoes into 4 sections (to make it easier to flip) and drizzle with the remaining oil and a sprinkle of salt. Carefully flip each section and pat it down. Cook another 3-5 minutes until crispy.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 7 POINTS+: 5. OLD POINTS: 4
( per 1/4 of the recipe)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!