These 6 ingredient salty-sweet apple bites use powdered peanut butter, dates and kettle corn for an easy, healthy and gluten free fall snack! They’re ready in 15 minutes and are only 140 calories!
You know what I almost did today.
I ALMOST posted an epic healthy-fall-comfort-food recipe. Because I thought that, you know, Labor day is over and IT’S SEPTEMBER.
Break out them scarves, sweaters and STRETCHY PANTS.
But then I was like whoa Taylor, reel it in. Calm down. Don’t go fall-food crazy right from the get go.
So, we’re going slooooooowly into cozy-comfy-leaves-falling-off-the-trees-cool-morning-air kinda food vibes by starting with apples.
Which we actually kinda already started with the apple pie vegan overnight oats. So, pretend I didn’t jump the gun in August, MMKAY? I get excited about things.
See also: by going “slooooowly” I mean, liiiike, I only could contain my excitement/chill out for O-N-E day. Epic comfort food AND a PUMPKIN (!!!!!) recipe? COMING THIS WEEK.
You know I’m not the most good-at-waiting-patient person to ever exist on the planet earth. Some say I should try to work on it. But, I have better things to do. Like, eating peanut butter out of a jar and binge watching Supernatural on Netflix.
Don’t pretend like you don’t know what jars of nut butter + spoons + your face + Netflix marathons are all about.
On the topic of impatience: THESE APPLE BITES THOUGH.
They got my impatience meter hitting a -1 on a scale of 1 to WHERE IS MY FOOD NOW BECAUSE I AM HANGRY. I mean, they take only 15 minutes. Plus chilling time….which is REALLY only a suggestion. We all know “chilling time” is food-loving-person-secret-code for “you can totally skip it and just eat all 12 bites right now because YUM.” Real talk friends.
Also. KETTLE CORN. Like the crispy salty-sweet light-as-air kernels of love and magic and WONDER that my snacking mouth can’t stop, well, snacking on. It’s INSIDE THESE BITES.
Might have done it again in the caramel apple peanut kettle corn bars BECAUSE IT IS JUST SO GOOD.
These bites (which are VERY loosely based off the cranberry orange energy bites from last year) are sort of vibing on the flavors of the caramel apple healthy ginger snap recipe, but doing a stealthy-swap for crunchy kettle corn instead of velvety-smooth caramel. And then adding sticky-sweet dates, chewy dried apples, a hefty sprinkle of powdered peanut butter (FOR THE PROTEIN), blending it allll together and then drizzling it with melted, creamy-dreamy PEANUT BUTTER.
LAYERS of TEXTURE and SALTY.SWEET.DELICIOUSNESS.
This is what is inside these (totally adorbs) bites that I am actually so completely head-over-taste-buds in love with.
Side note: so is the hubs. I literally got a round of applause from him when he tried one. Which was sort of awkward just standing in the kitchen with a man clapping at you. Weird image in your brain, right?
In other news, how would you feel about an FFF rebrand? Perhaps I shall now call this little corner of the internet “the girl who hates waiting for food, so she just makes bite recipes.” I mean, it was only last week that we had pizza bites….and there’s been about elevently billion bite recipes in the 3 years that we’ve been hanging out with each other.
Maybe just “the bite blog?”
Less words to say means less time spent being rude by trying to say words while chewing.
Always eating. Always biting. Always hungry.
I KNOW you’re WITH ME there.
These totally-chewy-salty-sweet bites of fall-flavored comfy-food are gonna cure that case of the hangries RLY RLY nicely.
Peanut Apple Bites with Kettle Corn
- 1 1/2 Cups Firmly packed dates roughly chopped (240g)
- 1 Cup Very firmly packed dried apples roughly chopped (84g) + additional for topping
- 2 Cups Vegan kettle popcorn I used Boom Chicka Pop
- 6 Tbsp Powdered peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp + 1/4 tsp Coconut oil melted
- 4 tsp Water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Natural creamy peanut butter
- Add the dates and dried apples into a large food processor. Blend until broken down and they come together in a ball.
- Add in the kettle corn and powdered peanut butter. Blend until the kettle corn is broken down and the mixture is crumble and combined. Add in 2 Tbsp of the melted coconut oil, reserving the rest for later, and process until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a large bowl and add in the water. Use your hands to make the dough come together in a ball.
- Divide the ball by lightly heaping 2 Tbsp between 12 muffin pan cavities, pressing out firmly and flat.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt the peanut butter and remaining 1/4 tsp of oil until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. Stir together and divide between each bite, spreading out with a small spoon. Note: you won't be able to completely cover each bite, you'll still see bites of the date mixture through the peanut butter layer. Top each bite with a dried apple ring.
- Place into the freezer until firm, about 1 hour.
- To un-mold, use a small, sharp knife and cut around the outside of each bite, then insert the small butter knife under each bite to pop them out of the pan. You don't NEED to freeze them, but it makes getting them out of the pan MUCH easier.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMARTPOINTS: 6 POINTS+: 4. OLD POINTS: 2
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more healthy snack bites?
Apple bites from around the web:
Apple Cinnamon Cookie Energy Bites – Kristine’s Kitchen
Raw Apple Pie Bites – The Healthy Maven
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!