This Paleo casserole is made of layers of fresh veggies, bright herbs and turkey to make it protein packed and healthy! It’s easy to make, and the whole family will love it!
And I made you ugly food.
Clearly, I don’t beat around the bush. I believe in just coming out and SAYIN’ IT.
Casseroles? My friends, there is no such thing as a pretty slop of veggies, meat, who knows what else (don’t worry, there are no weirdo unmentionables in this GUD 4 U pile of ugly-osity) on a plate.
Which is why I may or may not have had a panic attack shooting it. And I also may or may not suggest that, if you’re a food blogger, don’t plan to shoot a casserole on your weekend.
Today’s post is a wee bit different from the normal insanity and cray crays that normally grace your peepers on this little space of the interwebz called FFF. Aside from the above paragraphs, of course.
Today, a whole bunch of us bloggers are getting together to help raise money for The Wagner Family.
Who are they, you ask? Well, Ashley Wagner is the sweet chica behind the blog “Center Cut Cook.” Although, I haven’t had a TON of connection with Ashley, her story really struck my heart and I knew I wanted to participate in this fundraiser.
Here’s a bit of a run-down of said story: Ashley and Ryan (her husband) found out they were expecting their first baby….one week before they found out that Ryan (who was super healthy) had stage 4 colon cancer that had spread to his lungs and lymph nodes in his abdomen.
Then Miles, their baby, was born. He was healthy…for 8 short weeks.
Ashley noticed him doing something odd, like a seizure, and immediately took him in. After many tests, it was determined that he, at 2 months old, was in kidney failure. He has a rare disease called “Primary Hyperoxaluria” and will need a kidney and liver transplant to save his little life.
I am not a parent, nor do I have any maternal instincts yet, but this totally breaks. My. Heart.
Their days are so busy dealing with all this illness, constant care, medications and all the other stuff that goes with being dealt such a rough hand.
Which is why we are all gathering together to make recipes that you would bring to people in this situation, to fill up their freezer.
This casserole is EZ PZ to make and is loaded with FRESH veggies, protein-packed ground turkey and full of how-is-it-still-delicious-without-cheese-because-don’t-casseroles-need-be-99%-cheese-to-be-good?
My peeps, we’re changing the sloppy ugly food GAYMEEEE around here today.
And it’s all for a good cause
Which means you can’t judge the brown-ness hiding under all that strategically placed green-tarragon-prettiness youhearme? 😉
Please check out all the other recipes to help raise awareness for the Wagner family, and it would be so great if you could help us out with our fundraiser. Really, anything helps!
Paleo Casserole with Turkey, Peppers, Zucchini and Tomato
For the casserole:
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Olive oil divided
- 1 Lb 93% Lean Ground turkey
- 1/2 Cup Onion diced (about half a small onion)
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 Large zucchini sliced 1/4 thick
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/8 tsp Oregano flakes
- 1/4 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Tarragon minced + additional for garnish
- 1 Large tomato thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Orange bell pepper diced (about 1 large pepper)
For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Almond meal
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Coconut flour
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and brush an8x8 inch panwith olive oil. Set aside
- In a large pan, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, and the outside is nice and browned. Stir in the diced onion, tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the sliced zucchini into a large bowl and toss with remaining tsp of olive oil and garlic. In a separate, small bowl, mix together the salt, cumin, cardamom, oregano and chili powder. Add into the zucchini and toss, making sure the spices are evenly coated.
- Spread the zucchini onto the bottom of the prepared pan (it's ok if you have overlap on a few pieces) and sprinkle the fresh tarragon over top.
- Spoon the turkey mixture on top of the zucchini and press down, so that the turkey is nice and packed. Lay the sliced tomato on top of the turkey in an even layer. Finish by sprinkling the diced bell pepper over top of the tomato evenly.
- Cover the casserole and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the casserole bakes, make the sauce by heating the olive oil in a large pan over medium/high heat.
- Add in the almond meal and coconut flour and cook until the flours begin to absorb into the oil and turn a dark brown, about 1 minute. Think dark peanut butter here.
- Pour in the almond milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium so that the sauce stays at a steady low boil. Stir often to ensure it does not burn.
- Cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 10-11 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the casserole bakes, pour the sauce over-top evenly and bake, uncovered, for another 45 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes and then slice, garnish with additional tarragon and DEVOUR.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfitness
(per 1/4 of the casserole)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTRAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Follow their story on Facebook or donate below! Thank you so much!
Here are all the other recipes for a good cause, be sure to check them out!
Sugar Dish Me made this Easy Chicken Broccoli Bake
That Skinny Chick Can Bake made Mexican Chicken Manicotti
Spend with Pennies made Chicken Noodle Casserole (from Scratch)
Wishes & Dishes made this Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini
Frugal Foodie Mama made Pizza Pierogi Casserole
Snappy Gourmet made Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole
Miss in the Kitchen made a Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Bake
Life, Love, and Good Food made this Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
Bless This Mess made Quick and Easy Summer Chicken Salad
Mandy’s Recipe Box collected 30 Freezer Meals
Hugs and Cookies made Baked Parmesan Meatball Casserole
Barbara Bakes made this Veal & Wild Mushroom Stew
A Cedar Spoon made Sausage, Roasted Red Pepper, & Gouda Macaroni & Cheese
It’s Yummi made an Easy Cheese & Sausage Pizza Bake
A Family Feast made these Easy Freezer Meatballs
Stuck on Sweet made Homemade Goulash
Two Healthy Kitchens made a 5-Ingredient Easy Pasta Bake
It Bakes Me Happy made a Peach Skillet Galette
STAY IN DA KNOW WITH THINGS GOING ON AT FFF (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!