This quick and easy one-pan, 30 minute Easy Moroccan Chicken Recipe is LOADED with spicy-sweet flavor. It’s a gluten free, paleo friendly weeknight dinner!
PIN Moroccan Chicken Recipe
Remember that time we went to Spain and Portugal in June?
Well, that trip was supposed to be to Morocco, because that is my dream place to visit. But then plans changed and we are going to Morocco NEXT year when Mr. FFF graduates!
So now, I’m getting all prepared and making all the Moroccan flavored foods to add to the list of Grilled Moroccan chicken kebabs, Moroccan healthy gluten free paleo breakfast casserole and Grilled Moroccan chicken bowls.
And now you know why I am dying to visit….they have my favorite flavor profiles!
Moroccan Chicken Ingredients
The ingredient list for this weeknight dinner might be a little long, but I am pinky promising you that it is worth it because the flavors are just so on point and are going to make your taste buds SO happy!
- Chicken (obviously)
- Orange Juice
- Pistachios (which I learned is great with spices in the pistachio crusted chicken)
- Spices – ginger, cinnamon, paprika, cumin and allspice
It probably isn’t the most AUTHENTIC Moroccan chicken recipe in the world, but it tastes like what I imagine the flavors over there taste like and I am here for it.
But, I’ll let you know for sure once we visit ????
What does it taste like?
Wellll, we’re talking one big pot of steaming, juicy chicken breast, tender-crisp carrots, cauliflower and onions all mish-mashed together with chewy, sweet dates, crunchy-roasty pistachios and this crazy-addicting sauce that mingles acidic tomatoes with bright, fruity oranges and then drops a flavor BOMB of spicy cinnamon, cumin, ginger, allspice and paprika.
Oh yeah. And cucumber. Because after your taste buds get punched square in their faces with all of THAT, they’re gonna need a crispy-refreshing bite to just calm them alllll back down.
You guys. Can you even GRASP all the flavors, textures and just general goodness coming out of ONE SKILLET. I told you. Your taste buds are going to get happy.
How to Make Moroccan Chicken
You want to use a meat mallet or rolling pin to flatten the chicken to an even thinness. This helps it cook evenly without over cooking!
Sear the chicken in olive oil until golden brown. This helps the juices stay locked in and makes it so tender!
Cook the vegetables and the spices in the pan until they just begin to soften, and then add the orange juice, crushed tomatoes and dates and boil for 2 minutes.
Simmer until the sauce just begins to chicken – about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken back in, cover and simmer until the chicken is totally cooked – about 10 minutes.
Add all your garnishes – cilantro, pistachios and cucumber – and EAT
Bulk it Up
Because this little winner winner chicken dinner is mostly just vegetables and protein, it might not fill you up and I have some suggestions for you to bulk it up:
- Serve it with rice or quinoa
- Serve it inside a tortilla (great for lunch!)
- Serve it with cumin roasted carrots
- Serve it with sweet potato fries
That last one sounds weird. But, trust, it’s delicious.
Dip the taters in the tomato sauce and you will be like YAS I UNDERSTAND.
We may not be able to hop on a plane to Africa, but we can get a little taste of it right here at our dining room table.
Other recipes you might like:
For step-by-step instruction of this recipe, watch my video tutorial below:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE! New recipes posted each week!
- 8 oz Chicken breast about 2 small breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive oil
- 2 Cups Cauliflower cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 Cup Carrot sliced (about 1 large carrot)
- 1/2 Cup Sweet onion roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh ginger minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Ground Allspice
- 3/4 Cup Orange juice not from concentrate
- 1/2 Cup Crushed tomatoes
- 2 Medjool Dates sliced
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro minced + additional for garnish
- 2 Tbsp Roasted pistachios roughly chopped
- 1/2 A small cucumber thinly sliced
- Using a meat mallet (or a rolling pin) pound out the chicken breasts until they are flat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet on medium/high heat. Cook the chicken breast until golden brown, about 1-1.5 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. Transfer to a plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the cauliflower, carrot, onion, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and Allspice to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the veggies just begin to soften and the spices are fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the orange juice, crushed tomatoes and sliced dates. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce begins to reduce and thicken, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken back into the pan, nestling it into the veggies and spooning some sauce over top. Cover and reduce the heat to medium/low. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and divide the chicken between two plates. Top each with the chopped pistachios and place the sliced cucumbers on the side.
- Garnish with extra cilantro, if desired, and DEVOUR.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMARTPOINTS: 7 POINTS+: 11. OLD POINTS: 9
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!