This quick and easy Greek yogurt French onion dip is a healthy, low carb, gluten free and protein packed appetizer that is perfect for parties! Only 110 calories and so creamy!
PIN Easy Greek Yogurt French Onion Dip
It’s PARTYYYY TIME!
It’s not actually party time right THIS VERY SECOND of life on this side of internet land. Sorry to get you really excited as the thought of happening upon a virtual party, complete with gluten free cupcakes or funfetti protein cookies, started dancing around your brain.
What I really SHOULD say is that December is PARTY SEASON:
- Post-Thanksgiving parties <–Not a real thing, but I feel like we should all celebrate the fact that we lived through turkey day WITHOUT exploding from ALL THE gluten free stuffing and scalloped sweet potatoes, right?
Any reason to party, I SAY.
- Christmas! Which is a moment where I will allow to say “LIIIKE DUH TAYLOR.”
- NEW YEARS EVE. *SPARKLY* <–Not really sure what that means, but it felt like the right thing to write.
Could also be another “duh moment.”
3 reasons to party. 3 reasons to eat appetizer PARTY FOOD.
And, my internet-party-loving-friends, this easy Greek yogurt French onion dip? Basically PERF. For this season in the sense that it is:
- Because I would never give you a French onion dip recipe, or any recipe for that matter, that was NOT going to tingle your taste buds from your tongue to your tippy toes.
- This homemade French onion dip uses GREEK yogurt to PACK it with protein, and deliver a 1-2 punch of creamy-tanginess that complements the sticky-sweet caramelized onions and smoky paprika in the most CRAVEABLY ADDICTING ways.
- EASY PEASY.
Lemme just break it down.
How to make French Onion Dip AND how to caramelize onions 101:
- Caramelize onions. The key to PERFECTLY caramelized onions – with no burny-nasty-yucky-bits is to cut your onions ALL the same thickness (IE. REALLY thin, with no awkward thick ones hanging out.) You also need to keep a close eye on them to make sure that you are adjusting the heat, turning it down as they begin to brown. ALSO, using your VRY VRY smart person brain and knowing JUST went to stir them.
Stir them too soon? NO GOLDEN-BROWN ONIONS FOR YOU! Leave them too long? BURNT! BITTER! BAD! Onions for you.
- Once onions are tender, golden-brown and you basically just want to eat them by themselves (RESIST) mix them up with some garlic and thick, creamy and HEALTHY Greek yogurt, cream cheese and a sprinkle of smoky paprika for a little flavor PUNCH.
- THAT’S IT.
Told ya it was an easy French onion dip.
Also. Apparently, I really like numbered lists today?
In other much-more-important-to-note news: do not skip the cream cheese in this recipe and try to add MORE health by using MORE Greek yogurt. <–If you want an “all Greek yogurt” dip, then just make some butter chicken dip.
You will be sad. The dip will be just that little bit TOO tangy and not as thick and lack the utterly-dippable-food-bliss qualities that it currently has. The little cream cheese addition blends allll the flavors together, balances out the Greek yogurt tang, and makes your dip-munching-mouth wanna keep going back for MORE.
Which is HIGHLY encouraged on the count of it’s a protein-packed app that does your body/muscles GOOD.
Good tasting. Good 4 U. Everyone’s A WINNER.
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 1/4 Cups Plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Reduced-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- Heat the olive oil up in a large, good-quality non stick pan on medium heat. Add in the sliced onion and cook to coat in the oil.
- Cook until the onions are soft and deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. The trick is to let them sit long enough to brown, but not too long so that they burn. You may need to reduce the heat as they cook.
- Once the onions are golden, stir in the garlic, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat if needed and cook an additional 5 minutes or so, until the garlic begins to brown,
- Place the onions into a large bowl and roughly chop them.* Add in the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- DEVOUR immediately! **
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 4 POINTS+: 3. OLD POINTS: 3
(per about 1/4 cup)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!