A twist on traditional butter chicken that is perfect for entertaining and parties…and, it’s healthy too! Perfect with fresh, homemade Naan!
I totally just lied to you guys.
There is actually NO butter in this what.so.eva.
In place of our fatty friend is only supa healthy, supa high protein, and supa dupa creamy greek yogurt.
You know those super amazing dips that you get at restaurants for an appetizer and then realize you just consumed your whole days worth of calories and there is still a main meal and dessert coming up? Just like the Greek yogurt dip with kale and parmesan, this is not one of those. You can even eat the whole thing! Who doesn’t love recipes where they can eat all.the.foods?
In our house, we LOVE Indian food, especially any kind of coconut curry, or the classic butter chicken. What I do not <3 is all the cream and butter that goes into butter chicken. So, I made it my mission to make it healthy, but still keep all that flavour and spice that goes into the traditional recipe.
Man oh man guys, this will totally satisfy your Indian craving, without ruining your waistline. Its got bold flavour with the cumin, garam masala and paprika, and has that thick and rich texture that is an absolute must in a dip. I hate me a watery dip. Plus, it is 10 zillion times easier than doing a traditional curry. Plus plus, it’s fun to bring to a party ’cause everyone and their dog brings homemade hummus or some sort of ok-to-eat-unbaked-and-somewhat-healthy-cookie-dough-dip. I was going to judge you for being one of those healthy peanut butter cookie cookie dough dip bandwagon people…but, I have also been on that bandwagon.
Not gonna lie, I would rather just risk death and eat raw cookie dough, eggs and all.
As you can tell, I live on the edge guys.
This would be equally good just served with veggies or chips to dip but, if you have some extra minutes, please please PLEASE (I am actually begging you) do yourself a favour and make naan bread. It is so easy and so so so good.
So good I want to make myself a naan sleeping bag and cozy up with this dip tonight.
Judge me later. Make healthy butter chicken dip first.
Butter Chicken Dip & Homemade Naan Bread (High Protien & Low fat}
- For the butter chicken dip:
- 1/2 Tbsp . Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp . Cumin
- 1/2 tsp . Paprika
- 1 tsp . Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tbsp . Garlic minced.
- 1/2 tsp . Salt
- 3/4 cup Crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Cilantro diced.
- For the Naan:
- 2 cups Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp . Salt
- 1/2 tsp . Baking powder
- 3/4 cup Low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup Shredded chicken about 1 medium breast
- To prepare the Naan:
- ) Mix the whole wheat pastry flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. baking power in a large bowl.
- ) Gradually add the 3/4 cup of light buttermilk, until the mixture forms into a ball.
- ) Knead the dough 15-20 times, and then set aside to rest while you make the dip.
- For the dip:
- Preheat 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a medium panover medium heat.
- Dice 1/4 cup of onion and 1/2 Tbsp. garlic and throw into the pre-heated olive oil.
- Add in the 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. garam masala, and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir until well combined.
- Sautee the onion and spice mixture until the onions are soft and the spices are fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- While the onion mixture cooks, dice the cilantro and shred the chicken breast with 2 forks.
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the 3/4 cup crushed tomato, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup diced cilantro and the shredded chicken.
- Stir until everything is well combined and transfer to a serving dish.
- To cook the Naan:
- Divide the dough into 4 sections and roll each with a rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick. You can lightly flour the counter if the dough begins to stick.
- Spray alarge panwith cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Place one or two naans (depending on the size of your pan) in the pan and cook until it begins to bubble (1 to 2 minutes), pressing down with a spatula so it is evenly cooked.
- Flip and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining sections and then serve with the butter chicken dip.
Want more dipping ideas?
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!