Jazz up your chicken dinner with this Instant Pot Tahini Chicken. So much flavor, deliciously creamy, and so easy to make!
Why you will LOVE this recipe
- My Instant Pot has quickly become one of my BEST friends. It cooks food up in a jiffy, with the same flavor and texture that you’d NEVER know it took WAY less time than usual! Here on the blog we have so many Instant Pot recipes, like Instant Pot apple butter, and even breakfast ideas like Instant Pot steel-cut oats!
- Today’s chicken in the Instant Pot is SO easy, SO delicious, and uses tahini to give it a unique and satisfying flavor!
What is Tahini?
Ok, so I know I just mentioned tahini and some of you might be thinking, What on earth IS that? Tahini, essentially is taking sesame seeds and grinding them into a paste. This paste can be added to so many dishes, both savory and sweet, and adds SO much flavor and flair to whatever dish you decide to use it on!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (not sodium-reduced)
- 2 Medjool dates, sliced
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp za’atar
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- cilantro, for garnish
- sliced fresh mint, for garnish
- drizzle of honey, for garnish (optional if not whole30)
Set your Instant Pot to the sautee mode and add in the onions along with a splash of oil. Heat for a couple of minutes, stirring, until they start to soften. Add in the cinnamon, cumin and nutmeg for a minute or so, stirring, until they are fragrant.
Microwave the dates and chicken broth in a large bowl until they are hot, which should take a minute or two.
Place the dates and pour the broth into a large food processor and blend until it is well broken down. Add in the tahini, salt and lemon juice and blend the mixture once again.
Once the onion is done cooking, season the chicken breasts and lay them overtop of the onions in the Instant Pot. Pour the blended sauce over the chicken and cover with the lid.
Set the lid to sealing on the Instant Pot. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes and do an instant steam release. Take out the chicken and place it onto a cutting board.
Turn the Instant Pot back to the sautee mode and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and place it back into the Instant Pot with the sauce.
Garnish your chicken and DEVOUR!
What to serve with Easy Instant Pot Chicken
This Instant Pot recipe is recommended to be served with roasted sweet potatoes and roasted cauliflower! Any roasted goodness would pair so well with this chicken, though, including roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts, air fryer roasted potatoes, and cumin roasted carrots!
If you don’t have chicken breasts to use for this recipe, or you simply prefer chicken thighs, you can absolutely use them for this recipe and they will turn out fab!
Yes, you can. See below for storage instructions.
Yes, if you have a Dutch oven, you can still make this dish. It will obviously take much longer though. A slow cooker would also do the trick.
How To Store Instant Pot Tahini Chicken
Let the cooked chicken cool completely. Put the pieces in an airtight container then store them for up to 3 days in the fridge and 3 months in the freezer. When reheating, I recommend putting the chicken in the oven on LOW heat. Be sure they achieve an internal temperature of 165 F.
More healthy instant-pot dinner ideas:
- asian instant pot pork tenderloin
- instant pot turmeric chicken and vegetables
- instant pot pasta primavera
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion, diced
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken broth (not sodium reduced)
- 2 Medjool Dates, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Tahini
- 2 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Za'atar
- 1 Lb Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Sliced fresh mint, for garnish
- Drizzle of honey, for garnish (optional if not whole30)
- Roasted sweet potato (not included in nutritional info)
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Heat your Instant Pot to sautee mode. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 2-3 mins. Then, add the cumin, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- While the onions cook, place the broth and dates in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave until the broth is very hot, about 1-1.5 mins
- Place the broth and date into a food processor and process until the date is mostly broken down – a few little pieces are okay. Then, add in the tahini, lemon and salt and process until combined.
- Once the onion is done, season the chicken with the za'atar. Place it into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover and set the lid to sealing. Cook for 10 mins on manual high pressure.
- Once cooked, do an instant steam release. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Sautee mode and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens. About 5-10 mins.
- Shred the chicken and stir it back into the pot.
- Garnish and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
For This Recipe, I recommend:
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!