Buffalo chicken bites made of potato and stuffed with cheese, for only 50 calories! Perfect for game day!
Do the bufflo do do do do do do do do do.
Things you should know about that sentence:
1) I know I missed an “a” but if you say it like “bufflo” it kinda sounds like that song “do the hustle.” Do do do…
2) I literally counted the “do dos” out loud, and typed them on the screen, to make sure that I was getting the right number to match aforementioned song.
3) I am really really really excited about sharing these with you guys!
The fact that I am really really excited about sharing these may or may not have something to do with the fact that
a. I am OBSESSED with buffalo chicken. I mean we’ve had buffalo chicken hash, buffalo chicken meatballs with cauliflower Alfredo AND buffalo chicken Egg muffins.
b. I tried this recipe for 2 days straight, and 6 different ways until I FINALLY got them how I pictured them in my brainular device. And by may or may not, I mean that it totally, 100% has to do with the fact that I tried this recipe for 2 days straight and 6 different ways.
These poppers were one of those ideas that came to me and I was like “OHMYGOSH THESE ARE GONNA BE SO AWESOME!” And then, I made them. Aaaand cried forever.
I made them with sweet potatoes. The hubs said, “well…the dipping sauce rocks.” Oh.
I wrapped them in sweet potato gnocci dough. Um, what?
I tried to fry them in cooking spray. That was ugly.
I rolled them in uncooked quinoa. That was weird.
The poor hubs wanted to go out and get some of his own stuff done on my last trial day, to which I said “Um, no. I need you home to try poppers.” Worst wife ever? Yes. But, he is a man and they are the king of all things buffalo chicken. I needed his taste buds.
He stayed home and sat on the couch for 4 hours while I brought him one popper at a time and anxiously awaited each response. I love him.
Side note: It’s our 1 year anniversary next week and we are going on a cruise to the Bahamas! More on that later. Back to poppers.
I almost threw in the towel you guys. I had almost decided that sometimes my crazy ideas are meant to be just that: crazy ideas that never make it into mouth world. AND THEN (suspense!) something magical happened. I found some Panko in my cupboard and poured it all over the counter (I was beyond trying to be clean and using a plate at this stage in recipe fail land) and rolled those babies in it. I also may have lied about not using a plate, but pouring things on counters adds extra emphasis. You get it.
Do you like cute, bite sized food that is crispy on the outside, super soft and creamy on the inside, bacon-a-rific, buffalo spice-o-rama, filled with melty cheesy yum AND is only 50 calories?! Yes, yes you do.
IF you don’t, I’ll pop yours into maaaa mouthhhh.
I said pop, ‘cause they are poppers. Get it?
And now you want to leave because I am really, really lame.
I will allow it. As long as you are leaving to stuff your face with cheesy buffalo chicken potato poppers and avocado ranch dressing.
Final thought: Oh, hey Superbowl.
- For the poppers:
- 2 cups Large Russet potatoes about 2.5 mashed
- 1 cup Medium Chicken breast about 3/4 shredded
- 1/4 Cup Reduced fat cream cheese softened. Do not use fat free!
- 1/2 Cup Franks Buffalo Sauce or to taste
- 1 Large egg white
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro roughly chopped
- 6 Strips of turkey bacon
- Salt pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 3 Reduced fat Mozzarella Cheese strings
- 1/3 CupGluten-free panko or whole wheat if you are not GF
- For the dipping sauce:
- 1 cup Small avocado about 1/2 mashed
- 1/2 Cup Fat-free ranch dressing of choice
- 1 Tbsp +1 tsp Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and line abaking sheetwith tinfoil.
- Poke holes all over your potato and bake until fork tender and soft, about 45-60 minutes. Set aside until it is cool enough to handle.
- While the potatoes bake, bring a large potof lightly salted water to a boil and boil the chicken breast until it is no longer pink inside (about 15-20 minutes.)
- Shred the chicken with two forks and set aside until the potato has cooled.
- Once the potato is baking and the chicken is shredded, spray alarge pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel and dab off any grease.
- Roughly chop the bacon and set aside until the potato has cooled.
- Once everything is ready to go, it's time to make the bites!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the potato and toss it into a large bowl. Mash it with a potato masher, or fork, until it is lump free.
- Add the softened cream cheese and mash until well incorporated.
- Add in the shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, egg white, chopped cilantro and chopped bacon and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Chop each cheese string into 12 pieces by cutting each string into 6 and cutting each of the 6 chunks in half.
- Pour the panko onto a large plate.
- Take a 1 Tbsp sized ball of the potato dough and press a chunk of cheese into the center. Wrap and roll the potato around the cheese until it is well centered and covered.
- Roll the ball around in the panko until it is lightly covered and place on the prepared baking sheet. Do this for the rest of the dough.
- Spray the poppers with a bit of cooking spray and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take the potato poppers out and give them another light mist of cooking spray. Bake until lightly golden and crispy, about another 10 minutes.
- While the bites bake, throw the avocado, ranch dressing, garlic powder and salt and pepper into a small food processor. Blend until well mixed and smooth.
- Serve poppers hot with the dipping sauce.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
Want more Bite-sized food?
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!