This gluten free Healthy Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Recipe uses a secret ingredient to make it low carb and protein PACKED. These do NOT taste healthy!
PIN Healthy Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Recipe
(First posted June 2014, Photos updated August 2018 – narration not changed.)
You know what’s the worst?
When you are SUPER pumped to go out somewhere new to eat….and then you are TOTALLY let down.
This happened to me the other day, and I’m still depressed about it.
We’ve talked about how I am a little bit obsessed with gluten free Pancakes, specifically the Blueberry Harvest Grain and Nut from IHOP. I’ve told you before that you MUST eat them. But, I am telling you again.
You MUST eat them.
Anyway, Mr. FFF was all “we should try somewhere new.”
At first, I resisted. I don’t like change. How-ev-er, we had JUST gone to IHOP 2 days before, so I figured it would be the best time to try somewhere new, since I had just gotten my IHOP fix.
We went to this cute little breakfast joint, and I had this egg white power wrap thingy, because it was on the “healthy menu.”
Two lessons from my experience:
- I should not order healthy breakfast items because, let’s be honest, brownie pancakes with cookie dough swirl with ALL THE BUTTER AND SYRUP would have been way better than egg whites and mushroom on a tortilla.
- I will never abandon IHOP again. <3
It’s to make this healthy chicken Enchilada recipe.
Yes, enchiladas just got breakfasted up.
Yes, this healthy low carb chicken enchilada recipe is awesome.
Are enchiladas healthy?
Typically, enchiladas are not what one considers “healthy.” They’re loaded with a lot of heavy, saturated fat and refined carbs that make them something you don’t want to eat on THE REG.
You guys know I’m all about balance though, so just wanna give the HEADS up that it’s also totally okay to eat them in their cheesy, tortilla glory and TRULY enjoy them every so often!
But if you wanna eat them, liiiiike, everday? (Me! Me!) Then you’re going to be ALL OVER THESE.
How to make healthy chicken enchiladas
The secret to making chicken enchiladas healthy is to make EGG WHITE TORTILLAS.
- Heat a GOOD QUALITY 9 inch, non stick frying pan to LOW heat and add ½ cup of LIQUID egg whites (it will take you WAY too long to separate eggs!). MAKE SURE IT IS A GOOD QUALITY NON STICK OR THESE WON’T WORK!
- Cover them and let them cook until the top is set, about 3 minutes. GENTLY flip and repeat on the other side
- Once they’re cooled, fill them with ALL the usual enchilada fixings, cover them with cheese and bake until the cheese is melted!
Even Mr. FFF (who can’t eat dairy) ate like 6 healthy enchiladas because they were SO GOOD he didn’t even care about the cheese situation at hand.
I’ve been making everything with this tortilla recipe lately. From a boring ham sandwich to some DELISH healthy BBQ chicken quesadillas , these are going to be your new best, muscle-BUILDING friend.
So, there are two things you need to do:
- Never order something just ‘cause it’s “healthy” again
- Make skinny chicken enchiladas.
Maybe for dinner after you go-out-for-breakfast-and-order-what-you-actually-want? Then you can have a whole day of EPIC FOOD. <– Breakfast for dinner. It’s ALWAYS a winner.
Good ideas. This post is full of them.
I also shared the healthy chicken enchiladas recipe on Food Fanatic, so be sure to check it out there!
Other recipes you might like:
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 7 POINTS+: 12 . OLD POINTS:10
(per half the recipe – 2 enchiladas and 1/2 of the avocado crema)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!