This easy Paleo Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole is only 7 ingredients and packed with protein! A family friendly, low carb dinner!
IT’s ALMOST GAME DAY.
Or should I say it’s almost “eat all the vegan buffalo patties, buffalo chicken egg muffins, buffalo chicken paleo sweet potato hash AND crockpot buffalo chicken dip with cauliflower DAY?”
Do you see the trend?
And now we are going to add a slice of this spicy, protein-packed baked spaghetti squash casserole to the list of “buffalo chicken things that it is mandatory to eat on Game Day.”
Which is also the list that I call “the only way to get Taylor to watch tiny men run around in WAY TOO TIGHT outfits, throwing a ball at each other’s heads.”
It’s funny how GOOD FOOD will just change your perspective, and make things that used to seem pointless (liiike, watching football) just make SO MUCH SENSE.
What Buffalo Sauce is Whole30?
I LOVE myself a good appetizer on game day! There are so many I love to whip up and feast on while I watch the game with Mr. FFF and our friends. One flavor I love in appetizers or just in GENERAL is buffalo. The zingy, hot, flavor gets me every. Single. Time. Whether it’s a hot bowl of Crockpot Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Soup or Instant pot Buffalo Chicken I’m all about it! However, not all hot sauce is whole30 approved. A safe way to enjoy buffalo sauce that is whole30 approved is by combining Frank’s Red Hot Sauce with butter in a 3:2 ratio!
What kind of Chicken to Use for Spaghetti Squash Buffalo Chicken Casserole?
As for what kind of chicken to use for this Paleo Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole, it really is up to you!
You’re free to use leftover chicken thighs, shredded chicken, boiled chicken, grilled chicken, leftover rotisserie chicken, or whatever you’ve got on hand! If you want to use baked chicken breast, it’s pretty easy to make. Simply set your oven to 350 degrees, line a pan with parchment paper, brush the chicken breasts lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash
When roasting a squash for this whole30 casserole, it’s super simple and easy to do.
Simply cut the squash in half horizontally (it’s pretty tough to cut through so I recommend using a sharp knife and jiggling it side to side once inside the squash). Next, drizzle with oil, salt and pepper, and bake cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet until it’s fork tender!
Want to make it even easier? Make Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash!
Is Spaghetti Squash Keto?
In short, YES! Spaghetti squash is absolutely a Keto friendly food. It is low in carbohydrates, even compared to other varieties of squash. Butternut squash contains about 15 net carbs per cup, whereas spaghetti squash only contains 8 net carbs per cup. It is a fantastic and delicious choice to incorporate into your diet if you are eating Keto!
How to Make Paleo Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
This recipe calls for healthy, simple ingredients that transform into a DELICIOUS, nourishing meal that’s bursting with flavor! A bonus about this whole30 buffalo chicken casserole is that it’s not complicated- just a few ingredients and some simple steps, and you’ll have a tasty meal for the whole family to enjoy!
Set your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Also grease a casserole dish with a bit of olive oil and set aside.
Prep the Squash
Cut the squash in half and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lay cut side down on the prepared pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until it’s fork tender and set aside to cool.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the chicken breast and cook, about 15-20 minutes or until it’s no longer pink inside. Drain and set aside to cool.
Using a spoon or fork, shred the spaghetti squash and place it on a large paper towel. Using another paper towel, press out as much moisture as you can. Repeat with all the squash and when you have about 3 packed cups of shredded squash, put it in a large bowl. Next, shred the chicken breasts and when you have 3 packed cups, put it in the bowl as well. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top is set. Turn the oven to broil on the high setting and broil for about 5 minutes to crisp up the top.
Let stand to cool for 5 minutes, then dig in and DEVOUR!!
What Goes with Spaghetti Squash Buffalo Chicken Casserole Keto?
If you’re planning to serve this to guests, I recommend pairing it with a fresh, delicious salad such as Spiralized Cucumber Salad with Chia Seed Strawberry Vinaigrette or Roasted Acorn Squash and Quinoa Salad with Orange Maple Tahini Dressing.
Other Healthy Casseroles:
Healthy chicken noodle spaghetti squash casserole
BBQ Baked Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 Whole Spaghetti Squash, 3.25 lbs
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 Lb Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Cup Hot Sauce
- 6 Tbsp Paleo-friendly Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Green Onion, sliced plus additional for topping
- 1 Egg white
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Additionally, grease a casserole dish with a little bite of olive oil.
- Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds. Rub the inside with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake, cut-side down, until fork tender, about 30-40 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- While the squash cools, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, cook the chicken breast until no longer pink inside, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Scrape the strands out of the cooled spaghetti squash and spread them out in one even layer on a piece of paper towel. Use another layer of paper towel to press out as much moisture as you can. Then, repeat with another paper towel.*
- Once this is done, you should have about 3 lightly packed cups of spaghetti squash (or about 480g) Place into a large bowl.
- Shred the chicken breasts (you should end up with about 3 packed cups of shredded chicken or 300g) and add it into the bowl with the squash.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Transfer into the prepared casserole dish, pressing out flat. Bake at 400 degrees, uncovered, until the edges are golden brown, and the top feels set, about 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven to high broil and broil for 5 minutes. Then, let stand for 5 minutes to cool.
- Garnish with extra onions and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 6 POINTS+: 9. OLD POINTS: 8
(per 1/4 of the casserole)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment