This Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan is SO crispy without the deep frying! Healthy, high protein, with a gluten free option! Whole family approved!
Table of Contents
Make crispy air fryer breaded chicken breast but make it ITALIAN!
Boy, oh boy, you guys are in for a treat!
This tender, cheesy little chicken seriously tastes like a restaurant meal but without all the deep frying and you can make it in the comfort of your own home thanks to the AIR FRYER.
Are you surprised though? It’s the best contraption for making crispy dinners (hello crispy air fried fish) without all the oil!
What Is Chicken Parmesan?
You know those filling, satisfying meals that are also considered comfort food? Yeah, those are my kind of meals and the people who love them? MY PEOPLE. Italian food is classic comfort food- whether I’m cooking up some Slow Cooker Italian Chicken with Zoodles or THIS parmesan crusted chicken air fryer, I know I’m going to be satisfied! Chicken Parmesan is a breaded chicken breast topped with cheese and tomato sauce and is often served over pasta. Talk about YUM!
How to Make Chicken Parmesan Healthy
Ok, so I know what you’re thinking- It sounds insanely delicious but also doesn’t sound like it’s all that healthy of a choice. Well, ladies and gents, you can easily make chicken parm air fryer by simply forgoing the deep fryer and use an air fryer instead, and you won’t have to sacrifice the flavor!
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Ingredients
The shopping list for this recipe includes simple, wholesome ingredients, some of which you may already have on hand at home. Let’s round up what we need and get going on this deliciousness:
- Chicken Breasts
- White whole wheat flour
- Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Italian Panko
- Italian Seasoning
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Large Eggs
- Marinara Sauce
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Sliced Basil, for garnish
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
Now that we’ve gathered our ingredients, it’s GO TIME! Seriously guys, this air fryer chicken parm is comfort food at its finest, in a better-for-you way! Here’s how to make it:
Place the chicken breasts in between 2 pieces of parchment paper and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to flatten them to about ½ inch thick.
Add the flour to a large rimmed plate. Next, mix together the breadcrumbs, panko, italian seasoning, salt, and ⅓ cup of the parmesan cheese together and spread it out over another large rimmed plate. Lastly, whisk the eggs in a medium sized bowl.
Use one hand to dredge the chicken in the flour, then the egg, shaking of excess. Use your other dry hand to press the chicken into the panko mixture, then place it in the air fryer’s mesh basket. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes or until crispy!
Top it off
Next, top the chicken with marinara sauce and cheese and allow to cook an additional 2-4 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees and the cheese is melted.
Sprinkle on the basil and enjoy!!
What do You Eat with Chicken Parmesan?
This air fryer parmesan chicken is flavorful and delicious all on its own, however, you can totally serve it up with something on the side to make it that much better! I recommend serving it with spaghetti squash- check out Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash to learn a super easy, fool proof way to cook it up! Some delicious veggies would also be tasty on the side, such as Easy Sauteed Fresh Green Beans with crispy prociutto or some air fried zucchini
Chicken Parmesan in the Air Fryer FAQ
Absolutely! Air Fryer Food like this recipe might be a bit deceiving, because it can often taste like you’ve fried it in oil thanks to its perfectly crispy coating and delicious flavour. However, an air fryer uses, well, AIR to fry food instead of oil, making it a much healthier option than deep frying.
For this recipe, you will need to cook the chicken for about 8-10 minutes or until it starts to brown up a bit!
When dredging the chicken breasts, be sure to shake off any excess egg before coating in the breadcrumbs. This will keep the chicken from becoming soggy.
Other Healthy Air Fryer Recipes
- 1 Lb Chicken Breast (about 4 small breasts)
- 1/4 Cup White whole wheat flour (or GF all purpose)
- 1/3 Cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (GF if needed)
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned Panko (GF if needed)
- 4 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, grated and divided
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/3 Cup Marinara sauce
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella cheese, Grated
- Sliced basil, for garnish
- Place the chicken between two layers of parchment paper and use a rolling pin or meat mallet to flatten about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the flour in a large, rimmed plate. Then, mix the bread crumbs, panko, Italian seasoning, salt, and 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese together and pour into another rimmed plate. Finally, whisk the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Use one hand to dredge the chicken in the flour and then the egg, shaking off the excess. Use our other hand to cover the chicken in the panko mixture, pressing it on to coat it well. Place into the mesh air-fryer basket and repeat with all remaining chicken.
- Bake at 400 degrees until the chicken starts to brown and get crispy, about 8-10 minutes.
- Then, spread the marinara sauce on top of the chicken, followed by the rest of the Parmesan cheese and the mozzarella cheese. Bake for another 2-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the chicken reads 165 degrees F on the inside.
- Sprinkle on basil and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!