Light and fluffy, gluten free Buckwheat pancakes that combine crunchy, toasted almonds with soft, sweet honey roasted peaches.
It’s Monday morning. Your alarm goes off and you have to get out of bed. Isn’t that just the worst thing ever?
You could be a grumpy pants about it. Or you could make these pancakes…and then proceed to have the greatest day ever.
You know why? Because they have peaches, brown sugar, almonds and honey in them. What is better than that I ask you?
Nothing, that’s what.
You know what else? They are healthy, gluten free, and much lower in carbs and higher in protein than your run of the mill pancakes. These puppies will keep your stomach happily full until lunch time guys!
The creamy ricotta cheese gives these pancakes a rich and smooth texture, while the toasted almonds provide a surprise crunch! It’s like a party (or a fiesta, since I am trying to be Mexican these days remember?) in your mouth! To top it all off (literally!) you have the warm, sweet peaches to keep the party going all day long. Mr. FFF said “It’s like having super fresh jam on top of a pancake. Just so ya guys know, he ate cold, leftover pancakes for dinner the next day….BY CHOICE. They were that yum-a-licious.
Have you guys ever had buckwheat? Do not mistake this for buckteeth, those are not good. Buckwheat, however, is amazing. It’s got this deep, nutty, rich flavor that I have yet to find in any other flour. And, as I mentioned, it’s gluten free! In addition to all these wonderful characteristics, buckwheat makes very light and airy baked goods. With all those super duper qualities, You could basically give it a cape. It’s practically a super hero. I can see the headlines now: “Captain Buckwheat saves Mr. Gluten intolerant from Evil Dr. Spelt Flour yet again!” Am I taking this to far? Yes? I’ll stop.
The just of this story is that I want to eat these pancakes every day of my life, and then have really awesome days everyday of my life. You too? Good.
P.s if you like spelt flour that’s cool, I still totally love you. I just think it tastes funny, and makes bread that looks like it’s from outer space.
- For the Peaches:
- 4 Peaches, pitted and sliced into quarters
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 3/4 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup toasted almond slices.
- 3 Eggs, separated
- 1 Cup Low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 Cup Low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup Splenda
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- For the peaches:
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Pit your peaches and cut them into quarters.
- Place the peaches, cut side down, in a greased baking dish, so that they slices are nice and cozy and close together in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and pop into the oven for about 25 minutes, until the peaches are tender.
- Take the peaches out and drizzle with 1 Tbsp honey.
- Turn your oven to HIGH BROIL, and broil for 8-10 minutes, until the peaches just begin to caramelize.
- Take out, and let cool.
- While your peaches cook, it's time to make pancakes!
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees, and toast the almond slices until lightly golden. About 5-7 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat together the Splenda, ricotta cheese, 3 egg yolks, buttermilk and vanilla. Set aside
- In a separate medium sized bowl, beat the 3 egg whites on HIGH with a hand mixer, until stiff peaks form. About 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and toasted almonds.
- Slowly add the ricotta mixture into the flour, and mix until almost combined.
- Gentle fold in the beaten egg whites, and mix until the batter is just moistened.
- Using 1/4 cup scoops, cook on a large griddle over medium heat.
- Flip only once, once the top begins to bubble. You need to cook these low and slow, so that the middle gets cooked as well.
- Serve immediately, topped with honey roasted peaches. Devour!