These Whole Wheat Banana Muffins are loaded with chocolate chips and are so moist and fluffy you will never believe they are so healthy!
PIN Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
As soon as September hits, for some reason my brain goes “MAKE BANANA BREAD.”
I think it’s because I start thinking about back-to-school and, although I am not a Mom, I feel like I can safely say that all kids want whole wheat banana bread or healthy banana muffins in their lunches? It’s true.
These banana muffins may not be as fancy as the time I made caramel stuffed paleo banana bread muffins but they are JUST as delicious. they also have a lot less sugar thanks to being MOSTLY sweetened with pure banana, which I decided was the best way to make banana bread in the sugar free banana bread recipe.
Health Benefits of Whole Wheat Flour
When you hear the word “muffin”, a treat that’s delicious but unhealthy, loaded with refined sugars and flours might come to mind. What if I told you that you can have all that sweetness, fluffy texture and delicious flavor with natural sweeteners and whole wheat flour!? Yes, that’s right, these healthy banana bread muffins are game changers for sure, and are going to be the PERF grab and go breakfast or snack for your busy days! Here are a few benefits to using whole wheat flour:
- High in Fiber: Whole wheat flour is great for the digestive system as it contains TONS of fiber- almost 3 times as much as white flour.
- Higher in Vitamins: Compared to white flour, whole wheat flour is higher in essential vitamins like folate, riboflavin, and B vitamins.
- Effect on Blood Sugar: White flour will cause your blood sugar to spike higher than whole wheat bread. If it spikes high, then crashes, you will feel tired and lose energy afterward. Whole wheat flour prevents that “crash” and keeps you feeling full longer!
What Whole Wheat Flour is best for Whole Wheat Banana Muffins?
You can use whatever whole wheat flour you prefer for these healthy banana muffins. In this recipe, I used white whole wheat flour because it has a sweeter flavor and lighter texture than regular whole wheat flour, but is definitely still 100% whole wheat!
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins Ingredients
I am a muffin LOVAH. Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins and Paleo Lemon Poppyseed Muffins really hit the spot, and include wholesome and healthy ingredients to boot! These banana muffins I’m introducing you to today are no different- you’re going to LOVE that they use good-for-you ingredients and also taste amazing! Making them is a cinch and devouring them? Well, that’s the easiest part! Here’s what you’ll need:
- White Whole Wheat Flour
- Baking Soda
- Ripe banana, mashed
- Coconut Oil
- Mini Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
How to make Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
Set your oven to 400 degrees and let it fully preheat. Line a muffin pan with liners or spray with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, soda, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips.
Add the dry mixture to the wet and mix until JUST combined- be careful to not overmix. Then, gently stir in the chocolate chips.
Fill the muffin cavities with the batter and pop the pan in the oven. Bake your banana muffins until a toothpick comes out clean! Cool them completely and DEVOUR!
Do Banana Muffins Freeze Well?
Muffins are also great because they are a grab and go snack or breakfast! Nutritious AND delicious, they are perfect for those busy mornings or to get you through a long afternoon. If you want to bake a batch ahead of time to freeze, go for it because they freeze so well! I recommend storing them wrapped individually in plastic wrap or all together in a ziploc freezer bag.
Other Healthy Muffin Recipes
- Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the remaining ingredients except the chocolate chips.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the wet ingredients JUST until combined - don't over-mix. Gently stir in the chocolate chip.
- Spoon into 11 muffin cavities - they should be about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 5 mins. Then, lower the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 12-14 mins, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool COMPLETELY in the pan and then DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!