This Healthy Stuffed French Toast with PB and J is a quick and easy breakfast spin on a classic, that is great for kids and adults!
In the FFF household, breakfast is a REALLY big deal.
As in, I am pretty sure that Mr. FFF could be happy eating Cheerios for every single meal for all the evers that he has left on planet earth (which I am hoping is still a lot.)
In fact, the other day I accidently FORGOT TO BUY CHEERIOS when he had non left.
Don’t worry, he stuck around. I am not currently typing this a single lady with multiple cats on my head. I’m not sure why they would be on my head, but whatever. You understand.
Breakfast. He loves it, I love it (if you’ve been around here long enough you know I am kinda-sorta-really-totally-obsessed with this oatmeal recipe with blueberry cheesecake swirl and these cookie dough overnight oats.) In fact, we go to Ihop for dinner a lot. Like it’s kind of ridiculous. BUT have you tried their healthy Harvest Grain and Nut Pancakes with Blueberries? I die.
Aside from Mr. FFF’s obsession with cheerios (and most cereals) he REALLY likes healthy French toast. I quite enjoy it too, but I do lean toward the pancake side of life. However, we both agree that Pb & J? Yeah, it’s good no matter if its on a pancake, French toast, in between bread, on a clean sock…..okay maybe the last part is far fetched. But, my dog just threw a sock at my face. Get it? Far FETCHED? I crack myself up.
And, you’re gone.
I ALMOST didn’t share this with you because it’s ridiculously easy and barely a recipe. Plus, everyone and their dog has made stuffed French toast in their life. Bread –> Egg –> Soak –> Fry –> Flip –> Face. Not so hard right? But, we eat this French toast A LOT because:
1. It’s a bazillion calories less than typical French toast, and it’s rockin’ on the protein.
2. It’s easy
3. I’m lazy.
4. Who doesn’t like peanut butter and jam?
5. I like peanut butter and jam.
Therefore, I decided that share-age was necessary.
Have you guys ever tried powdered peanut butter? It’s basically peanut butter that has been defatted and is turned into a powder (obvs.) but still tastes peanut-y. I will tell you it is definitely not as good and creamy as straight up peanut butter, but it makes an AWESOME substitute when you have a mega craving. Read: every day of my life. It’s super easy to find online and I also found some at Wal-mart the other day! I mix it in a lot of things: oatmeal, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and I love it on squash. Weird sounding? Yes, but so so great x 10. You guys really need to try this stuff!
OOO and make sure you make it into vegan cookie dough stuffed peanut butter bites. !!! <— DO IT.
PLUS you can feel really grown up eating because it’s totally a fancified peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
I may be grasping at straws because I still feel unjustified in posting something so easy, but you don’t mind right?
Go forth and enjoy a fancy Pb & J.
- For the french toast:
- 4 Pieces of whole wheat bread I use Sarah Lee's 45 Calorie and Delightful
- 1 Cup Liquid egg whites 8 egg whites
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- Stevia to taste (or other no calorie sweetener)
- Pinch salt
- For the filling:
- 1/4 Cup PB2 or any powdered peanut butter or peanut flour
- Stevia to taste. (or other no calorie sweetener)
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 Tbsp Sugar free strawberry jam
- In a large, flat, baking dish stir together the liquid egg whites, vanilla almond milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, Stevia and salt.
- Soak the bread until it absorbs the egg white mixture, about 10-15 minutes per side.
- Spray a large pan or griddlewith cooking spray and heat on medium.
- Cook the french toast until lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- While the french toast cooks, combine the PB2, Stevia and almond milk in a small bowluntil smooth.
- Spread the PB2 mixture over top of one of the slices of bread, followed by 1 Tbsp jam and another slice of bread. Repeat with the remaining slices.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
Want more French toast?
Pumpkin Pie French Toast Casserole
Raspberry cheesecake Stuffed French Toast
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment