This Healthy Stuffed French Toast with PB and J is a quick and easy breakfast spin on a classic, that is great for kids and adults!
In the FFF household, breakfast is a REALLY big deal.
As in, I am pretty sure that Mr. FFF could be happy eating Cheerios for every single meal for all the evers that he has left on planet earth (which I am hoping is still a lot.)
In fact, the other day I accidently FORGOT TO BUY CHEERIOS when he had non left.
Don’t worry, he stuck around. I am not currently typing this a single lady with multiple cats on my head. I’m not sure why they would be on my head, but whatever. You understand.
Breakfast. He loves it, I love it (if you’ve been around here long enough you know I am kinda-sorta-really-totally-obsessed with this oatmeal recipe with blueberry cheesecake swirl and these cookie dough overnight oats.) In fact, we go to Ihop for dinner a lot. Like it’s kind of ridiculous. BUT have you tried their healthy Harvest Grain and Nut Pancakes with Blueberries? I die.
Aside from Mr. FFF’s obsession with cheerios (and most cereals) he REALLY likes healthy French toast. I quite enjoy it too, but I do lean toward the pancake side of life. However, we both agree that Pb & J? Yeah, it’s good no matter if its on a pancake, French toast, in between bread, on a clean sock…..okay maybe the last part is far fetched. But, my dog just threw a sock at my face. Get it? Far FETCHED? I crack myself up.
And, you’re gone.
I ALMOST didn’t share this with you because it’s ridiculously easy and barely a recipe. Plus, everyone and their dog has made stuffed French toast in their life. Bread –> Egg –> Soak –> Fry –> Flip –> Face. Not so hard right? But, we eat this French toast A LOT because:
1. It’s a bazillion calories less than typical French toast, and it’s rockin’ on the protein.
2. It’s easy
3. I’m lazy.
4. Who doesn’t like peanut butter and jam?
5. I like peanut butter and jam.
Therefore, I decided that share-age was necessary.
Have you guys ever tried powdered peanut butter? It’s basically peanut butter that has been defatted and is turned into a powder (obvs.) but still tastes peanut-y. I will tell you it is definitely not as good and creamy as straight up peanut butter, but it makes an AWESOME substitute when you have a mega craving. Read: every day of my life. It’s super easy to find online and I also found some at Wal-mart the other day! I mix it in a lot of things: oatmeal, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and I love it on squash. Weird sounding? Yes, but so so great x 10. You guys really need to try this stuff!
OOO and make sure you make it into vegan cookie dough stuffed peanut butter bites. !!! <— DO IT.
PLUS you can feel really grown up eating because it’s totally a fancified peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
I may be grasping at straws because I still feel unjustified in posting something so easy, but you don’t mind right?
Go forth and enjoy a fancy Pb & J.
Skinny Pb and J French Toast
- For the french toast:
- 4 Pieces of whole wheat bread I use Sarah Lee's 45 Calorie and Delightful
- 1 Cup Liquid egg whites 8 egg whites
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- Stevia to taste (or other no calorie sweetener)
- Pinch salt
- For the filling:
- 1/4 Cup PB2 or any powdered peanut butter or peanut flour
- Stevia to taste. (or other no calorie sweetener)
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 Tbsp Sugar free strawberry jam
- In a large, flat, baking dish stir together the liquid egg whites, vanilla almond milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, Stevia and salt.
- Soak the bread until it absorbs the egg white mixture, about 10-15 minutes per side.
- Spray a large pan or griddlewith cooking spray and heat on medium.
- Cook the french toast until lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- While the french toast cooks, combine the PB2, Stevia and almond milk in a small bowluntil smooth.
- Spread the PB2 mixture over top of one of the slices of bread, followed by 1 Tbsp jam and another slice of bread. Repeat with the remaining slices.
Want more French toast?
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!