This Shredded Cabbage Salad with Apples has a creamy curry dressing and crunchy cashews! A healthy, paleo and whole30 side dish that everyone will love!
PIN Shredded Cabbage Salad with Apples
Liiiiike, I know we’ve been swimming in a sea of mango gluten free gingerbread cakes and sugar cookie gluten free greek yogurt cheesecakes lately, so I thought it was time for some food FROM THE EARTH.
And, when you taste the crunchy, RAW cabbage as it mixes and mingles with the CRISPY, juicy apples and chewy, sweet raisins with that CURRY KICK that just waaarrmmms up the back of your throat, ending with a salty, toasty cashew BANG?
I actually had to FIGHT MR. FFF for this bowl of “rabbit food” (as he usually calls anything green) because he WANTED to take it for lunch, and I wanted to keep it at home ALL FOR MEEEEEE.
We don’t fight often.
But, when we do?
I should probably be grateful for this. I’m sure there could be worse things to fight over. Did I tell you that our first ever, all-out-screaming, RLY RLY angry fight was over HOW TO CUT A BELL PEPPER?
Oh, the silly things that you fight about in marriage. But, that’s a story for a different time.
Back to this easy cabbage salad recipe. Whether you’re making this salad or your own Oriental Coleslaw with Asian dressing, you need to know how to shred cabbage.
How do you make a cabbage salad?
Making cabbage salad is really easy once you learn how to shred a cabbage! So here’s how to do it:
- Remove the hard-outer leaves from the cabbage and cut the very hard bottom end off.
- Then, cut your cabbage in half, right down the middle. Then, cut your halves into halves, so you end up with 4 quarters of cabbage.
- Take one of the quarters and place it perpendicular to you, slicing it SUPER thin.
- While the sliced quarter is still perpendicular, slice it parallel until you have fine shreds! Do this over and over!
- Add all your fixing and dressing and toss until evenly coated. And you’re ready to go!
Friends of the internet variety, has your food-eating-life been graced with most delicious and ultra-yummy-and-magicalness that happens with you combine the naturally-perfect sweetness of apples with a spicy-middle-eastern-flavor-PUNCH of curry?
I discovered in in the coconut curry with almond butter and pretty much have been craving it SINCE. It’s spicy. It’s sweet. And it’s gonna make both of our inner wanting-to-be-healthy-but-why-is-CAKE-SO-GOOD souls actually VRY VRY excited to be eating salads with cabbage.
RLY RLY. I am NOT lying to you. You’re actually gonna be munching through an EPIC bowl of from-the-ground-NUTRITION, packed with CRISPY things! CRUNCHY things! And all other kinds of things that will make your inner-texture-freak FLIP, and be like HELLO, MORE PLEASE.
Also. I will totally not tell if you decide to invite a few extra cashews to the party. I’m pretty sure that cashews are proof that God loves and wants us to be happy.
WHY ARE THEY SO GOOD.
On the topic of things that are supremely delicious: that DRESSING THOUGH.
They’re both squishy. They both can absorb water. They both can be warmed up and blended.
SO WHY NOT TRY ‘ER OUT.
Uhhh, SPOILER ALERT: boiling golden raisins, and blending them to THICK and CREAMY goodness is going to be your newest favorite way to make salad dressing, WITHOUT having to use any kind of sugar to add a little sweetness.
The raisins? ALREADY GOT IT.
Warm and spicy curry + sweet, creamy golden raisins + apple juice for a little extra “apple-y action” +rich, heart-healthy olive oil = GONNA PUT IT ON EVERTHING FOREVER AND EVER THE END.
Buuut, start with THIS shredded cabbage salad with apples okay?
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
For the salad
- 7 Cups Green Cabbage, Shredded (about half a 2 1/2 lb head)
- 2 Apples, Roughly Chopped
- 1 Cup Roasted Salted Cashews
- 1/2 Cup Golden raisins
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro , Chopped, packed
- 1 pinch Salt
For the Dressing
- 1/2 Cup Golden Raisins, loosely packed (75g)
- 1/4 Cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Apple Juice (not from concentrate)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Curry powder
- 2 Tbsp + 2 Tsp Olive Oil
- Add the cabbage, apples, cashews, raisins, cilantro and salt into a large bowl and mix well.
To make the dressing:
- Boil raisins with apple cider vinegar and apple juice. After they have come to a boil, transfer them to a high powered food processor and blend, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary, until well mixed. Add in the curry and salt and blend until well mixed - a little bit of chunkiness in the raisins is fine.
- While the food processor is running, stream in the olive oil, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 8 POINTS+: 5. OLD POINTS: 3
(per 1/8 of the salad)
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!