A Healthy Whole Wheat Crepes Recipe that are soft, tender and super easy to make! Load them up with your favorite fillings for a delicious breakfast!
PIN Healthy Whole Wheat Crepes Recipe
You know what’s funny? We’ve had more crepe cake than actual crepes on the blog.
And the number of actual crepes? 1. Just these simple paleo crepes.
BUT NOW, soon to be 2 because these fluffy, tender crepes are going to be coming to a breakfast near you. WITHOUT being turned into a cake…
…Although, not telling you it’s a bad idea 😉
Are Crepes a Dessert or Breakfast?
I love breakfast food. Whether I’m cooking up some Fluffy Cottage Cheese Pancakes or Blueberry Gluten Free Greek Yogurt Waffles, Sunday mornings are SO much better with amazing food! Crepes are a personal fave of mine, and you are going to be OBSESSED with these crepes with whole wheat flour, I guarantee it! If you’re wondering if they’re intended for breakfast or dessert, I say there’s no rules! They can totally be breakfast, whether sweet or savory, and you can ALSO enjoy them for dessert with rich and indulgent fillings!
Healthy Whole Wheat Crepe Recipe Ingredients
When you think of crepes, you may think that they’re unhealthy because they taste so delicious! But the fact is, you can have BOTH- tasty crepes that use wholesome and healthy ingredients that you feel good about eating! To make these crepes, you will need:
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Coconut Oil, melted
- Large Eggs
Sooo there you have it! You want yummy, healthy crepes that taste amazing, and now you know you totally can have BOTH! Here are some ingredients I swapped out to make these a better for you version of the classic!
- White Flour: Instead of regular flour, I used whole wheat pastry flour!
- Milk: if you are lactose intolerant, vegan, or simply prefer to avoid dairy products, you’re in luck! I used unsweetened almond milk instead and it worked great!
- Butter: Again, if you don’t do dairy, swap out regular butter for coconut oil
The Secret to Crepes
I’m all about hearing AND sharing the tips and secrets others have and the ones I’ve learned along the way! Here are a couple of tricks:
- I recommend cooking these crepes at a medium-low heat so that they don’t cook too fast. It will also prevent your fingers from burning as the crepes won’t get too hot this way!
- I suggest that you let the batter rest for 1 hour, as this allows the flour to absorb the moisture, resulting in more tender crepes!
How to Make Healthy Whole Wheat Crepes Recipe
Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
Allow the batter to sit, covered, in the fridge to allow the flour to absorb the moisture. An hour or more is best!
Heat a crepe pan or small pan to medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Pour ¼ cup of batter into the pan and swirl it around until it spreads to the edges of the pan. Cook until the outside edge just begins to curl and look lightly browned, about 1 minute. Flip and cook an additional 30-45 seconds. Repeat with remaining batter and keep crepes on a warm, covered plate.
DEVOUR with whatever toppings and fillings your heart desires!
Ok, so now it’s for the FUN part! Yeah, that’s right, I’m talking about the fillings. Here are a few ideas that will make your crepes insanely delish:
- Sweet: For a sweet crepe, fill it with strawberries (or any other berries for that matter) and the coconut whipped cream that I use for my Brioche French Toast Recipe! The raspberry cheesecake filling from my Stuffed French Toast would also be amazing in these crepes!
- Savory: The pesto, goat cheese and sundried tomatoes from my Egg White Omelette would make for an amazing filling for a savory crepe lover!
How to Freeze Crepes
If you’ve made a large batch of crepes and have some leftover, I recommend freezing them! They thaw and reheat easily and are just as tasty! Simply stack them with layers of wax or parchment paper in between each crepe so they don’t freeze stuck together, and place them in a zip locked freezer bag! They will keep in the freezer for about a month!
Other Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Healthy Whole Wheat Crepes Recipe
- 1 cup Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Coconut oil melted
- 2 Large eggs
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until well combined.
- Refrigerate the batter for at least one hour to allow the flour to hydrate. Don't skip this, and the longer the better.
- Lightly spray a crepe pan (or a small pan) with cooking spray and heat to medium heat.
- Pour a scant 1/4 cup of the batter in the middle of heated pan, swirling around so that the batter goes all the way to the outside.
- Cook until the outside edges become lightly crisp and just begin to roll from the sides, and the underneath is golden brown, about 1 minutes.
- Gently flip (I used a crepe lifter and then flipped quickly with my fingers so I didn't burn them) and then cook an additional 30-40 seconds on the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter. *
- DEVOUR with whatever toppings you desire!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!