Start your day off with this protein oatmeal that tastes just like a healthy cinnamon roll! It’s SO quick, easy, healthy and will keep you full until lunch!
Friends, have you ever wondered how do you make protein porridge?
Well, Let me introduce you to one of my most favorite recipes that I ever created in the 1.5 years that FFF has had it’s own little space in the interwebz.
And yes. It’s a bowl of oatmeal. WITH PROTEIN.
I know you’re thinking “but what about that Crepe Cake? Or Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies? OR Vegan Brownies Stuffed with Peanut Butter Cookie Dough? How are those decadent desserts not your most favorite ever?”
Well, I adore those too. Butcha don’t eat those everyday.
But maybe we should change that? Why DON’T we put vegan brownies into our faces every day that we wake up and feel ALIVE? Things to start asking ourselves.
That just so happens to be ready in 5 minutes. And you don’t have to make an actual homemade cinnamon rolls recipe and mess with yeast. Which means you don’t need to keep checking on your dough every 34.6 seconds to see if it’s risen enough so that you can bake it and FACE PLANT into all things sweet, gooey and full of cinnamon perfection.
Don’t lie. I know I am not the only one who does it when I make cinnamon rolls.
The “oatmeal” part of this protein oatmeal recipe is nothing fancy. I mean it’s oatmeal. You can practically get it for free (hello Bulk Food stores!) and you just mix it with water, sweetener of choice and give it a little one to one time with your stove top.
BOOM. You’re already 2/3 of the way done.
Look at you making a protein oatmeal recipe. You’re BASICALLY the Martha Stewart of breakfast.
NOW comes onto the best part.
And by “best” I mean tastes-like-the-inside-of-a-cinnamon-roll kinda best.
Cinnamon-roll-filling-with-absolutely-no-butter-and-uses-all-natural-sugar-and-its-so-thick-and-creamy-you’re-gonna-wanna-spread-it-on-yo’-face kind best.
However, control the urge. You want ALL of that to get up IN the bowl. Nowhere else, capeesh?
So. The swirl. I had this random idea to try to mix vanilla protein powder with just the TEENIEST ever bit of water, to see if it would get super thick and take the place of butter for the filling.
AND IT DID.
The crazy idea continues with a sprinkle (or 10 sprinkles – you can’t have a cinnamon roll without THE CINNAMON) and a dash (again, or 10) of coconut sugar. <3 <3 <3
I took a little nibble and the tiny little bowl of thick, brown goo (yeah, I know, it doesn’t look the numiest) punched my taste buds STRAIGHT IN THEIR FACES.
I literally texted Mr. FFF and was like “Move over IHOP, there’s a new breakfast fav in town.”
If you’ve been around here long than about 2 days, you know that means some serious love-age went down.
I swirled it into my oatmeal. I took a bite. I didn’t think it could get much better…..UNTIL.
da Da DAAAAAAAAAAA <– notice how the capitals grow as the intensity of the sentence grows? 🙂
Cream. Cheese. Swirl.
WITH sweetsweet cinnamon protein oatmeal goodness.
I can’t even.
Cinnamon Roll Protein Oatmeal
Start your day off with this protein oatmeal that tastes just like a healthy cinnamon roll! It's SO quick, easy, healthy and will keep you full until lunch!
- 1/2 Cup Rolled old fashioned oatmeal (GF if needed)
- 2 Tbsp Truvia or sweetener of choice to taste + more to sweeten the cream cheese
- 1 Cup water
- 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp Vanilla extract divided
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Whey protein powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 4-5 tsp Water depending how thick your protein is
- 1 Tbsp Reduced-fat Cream cheese softened (I use the Philadelphia 2x Protein with Greek yogurt)
- In a small pot, combine the oatmeal and Truvia.
- Add in the water and 1/4 tsp of the vanilla extract and bring to boil over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium/low and simmer until the oats are thick, stirring frequently. (About 5 minutes)
- Take the oatmeal off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- While the oatmeal cool, stir together the protein powder, cinnamon and coconut sugar in a small bowl. Add in the water, 1 tsp at a time and stir to create a thick, but spreadable, paste....like what you would spread in a cinnamon bun. Set aside,
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese, and remaining 1/8 tsp of vanilla extract. Sweeten to taste.
- Add the cinnamon mixture and the cream cheese into the oatmeal and swirl around.
*Brown sugar can be subbed if you do not coconut sugar. However, some people find brown sugar slightly sweeter than coconut sugar, so you may want to use a little bit less to suit your taste. 🙂
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
Want more easy, healthy breakfasts?
Protein Oatmeal from around the web:
Caffe Mocha Protein Overnight Oatmeal – ifoodreal
Strawberries and Cream Protein Oats – Oh Sweet Basil
Stay in DA KNOW (and get special behind-the-scenes info) by following along with FFF on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!