Just wanted to let you know that these spicy-sweet, festive gluten free vegan waffles are sponsored by my friends over at Enjoy Life Foods!
These FLUFFY vegan waffles are studded with chocolate chips and covered with eggnog “cream” sauce! A delicious, make-ahead holiday breakfast!
PIN Eggnog Gluten Free Vegan Waffles
Crispy, CRUNCHAY and FLUFFY waffles DOUSED in a THICK spicy-sweet EGGNOG cream sauce.
WITH magical little bursts of ooey-gooey MELTY CHOCOLATE CHIPS.
HOT DANG my internet friends. If that is not the highlight of your Christmas morning, then I do not know how to help you.
Christmas morning has always been my favorite thing. My Momma does the BEST stockings and we just hang out in our jammies opening them, drinking snickerdoodle martinis (because it’s Christmas and we CAN drink cocktails at 10am thank you very much) and then we have the BIGGEST breakfast. Usually we opt for something like an eggnog snickerdoodle baked French toast casserole.
This year? I’m putting a HARD vote in for stacks UPON STACKS of these eggnog spiced gems because, you guys, they are the BEST vegan waffles ever.
Maybe even the best waffles PERIOD. END OF STORY. Vegan or NOT.
Waffles with cream sauce and strawberries are an old, secret family recipe that we eat every Summer and they’re one of my most favorite foods to eat in my real-person-waffle-loving-life so I thought “why only have them in the Summer?”
Let’s HOLIDAY-IZE them.
And, so, healthy vegan waffles with flecks of chocolate were born and crowned with a thick, rich, spiced dairy-free eggnog cream sauce that is going to give you so much holiday cheer. Like, you do not even understand.
There’s something just so festive and perfect about the combination of sweet, indulgent chocolate and spicy nutmeg with all those rich flavors of eggnog. It sounds kind of like it might be a weird flavor combo in your mouth at first.
But, you guys, trust me on this one because you will be doing yourself a HUGE SOLID if you let chocolate+nutmeg dance across your tongue in tandem.
Especially because it’s Enjoy Life Foods allergy-friendly chocolate making another reappearance! Can’t stop, won’t stop with the high-quality, dairy-free chocolate BLISS that they bring to the table, elevating basically any and all dessert recipe EVER.
Just like the martini situation, it’s Christmas. Post breakfast dessert can TOTALLY be a thing.
Pulse your Enjoy Life mini-chocolate chips right into these EASY vegan waffles, making sure to leave a few whole for the OOEY-GOOEY, melty factor and you’re going to think you’ve died and gone to breakfast heaven.
Really do not even blame you one bit.
In other news, you can make these gluten free vegan waffles AHEAD so that Christmas-morning you can live your BEST Christmas life and be able to partake in golden-brown crispy waffle NIRVANA, without having to spend eleventy billion years in the kitchen.
You can make both the waffle batter AND sauce batter the night before! You can even be the super prepared person that I know you are and cook the sauce the night before as well.
HEAT AND EAT BABY.
Now put that NOGGIN to good use and commit to happy, cozy Christmas morning breakfasts with creamy, spicy-sweet nutmeg and chocolate waffles.
Martinis and post-breakfast dessert not optional.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- 2 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 Cups Light canned coconut milk, divided
- 2 1/2 Cups Almond flour (240g) *
- 1 1/2 Cups Tapioca starch (180g)
- 1 1/2 Cup Applesauce, divided
- 6 Tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- 8 tsp Baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg, divided
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chocolate Chips + Additional for topping
- 3 Cups Almond milk eggnog
- 1/2 Cup Raw organic cane saugar
- Place the 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar into a large measuring cup and fill with the coconut milk until it reaches 2 cups. Whisk and set aside for 10 minute.
- Once it's sat, add the mixture into a blender. Add in the almond meal, tapioca starch, 1 cup of applesauce (reserving the rest for later,) the coconut oil, baking powder, 2 tsp of the nutmeg (reserving the rest for later) the cinnamon and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape the sides down as necessary. Remove 1/2 cup of the batter and set it aside. Pulse in the chocolate chips. Let the remaining batter rest while you begin the sauce.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk with the almond milk egg nog in a large clear microwave safe bowl. Clear is important, as you'll need to see when the sauce boils. Remove 1/2 cup of the liquid and set it aside.
- Microwave the mixture until it just begins to boil, about 7-8 minutes depending on the strength of your microwave
- While the liquid boils, whisk together the reserved batter and milk mixture that you have set aside. Then, add in the sugar, remaining 1/2 cup of applesauce, and 1/2 tsp of nutmeg. Whisk until well mixed.
- Once the milk has started to boil, remove it from the microwave and immediately pour in the batter mixture, whisking until well combined. This is where it gets a bit tricky**. You need to microwave it until it begins to boil, then microwave it for 1 more minute once boiling. My batter boiled at 5 minutes, so I cooked it 6 minutes. Then, stop and stir.
- Repeat this process 4 more times, watching the sauce to see when it boils and then cooking 1 more minute. My sauce took 1.5 minutes to boil each round, so I cooked it for 2.5 minutes. It looked like this: cook 6 mins. Stir. Cook 2.5 minutes, stir. Cook 2.5 minutes, stir. Cook 2.5 minutes, stir. Cook 2.5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the microwave and let it stand for 10 minutes to thicken, stirring every so often so that it doesn't develop a skin over top.
- I usually begin cooking the waffles when the sauce is microwaving, and then keep them in the oven to stay warm (they will lose some crispness this way though, just to be warned.) Spray your waffle iron with coconut oil spray and heat it on the highest setting (note that I have a classic waffle maker, not Belgium!) Ladle in a 1/2 cup of the batter. Cook until your waffle maker stops steaming. Check it and, if you want them more crispy, cook them a few more rounds. I did ours another 2-3 rounds (or a total of about 3 minutes) until nice and crisp.
- Douse the waffles with sauce and additional chocolate chips and DEVOUR!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
THIS PST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT ENJOY LIFE FOODS. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
(per 1 waffle and 1/10 of the sauce, based on the recipe making 10 full-sized waffles)