These Easy Overnight Steel Cut Oats are a 2 ingredient, make-ahead breakfast that will keep you full until lunch! Healthy, gluten free and dairy free too!
PIN Easy Overnight Steel Cut Oats
Liiiike breakfast you can make the day before so prepared you wakes up to breakfast already made!
Can you make overnight oats with steel cut oats?
YEP. You can make overnight oatmeal with steel cut oats.
You probably didn’t even know this and here you were making cookie dough overnight oats or peanut butter banana overnight oats because you didn’t know there was another way.
If your brain thought of steel cut oat you probably thought you had to boil them or make instant pot steel cut oats but there was NO OTHER WAY.
I mean, you do have to boil this overnight steel cut oats recipe but not for very long!
Overnight Steel Cut Oats Ingredients
The beautiful thing about making overnight oatmeal with steel cut oats is that you only need 2 ingredients:
- Steel Cut Oats
Two ingredients that you likely have at home and if you don’t, steel cut oats are very inexpensive to buy!
How to Make Overnight Steel Cut Oats
Soaking steel cut overnights does involve one extra step to make perfectly chewy oats for breakfast.
Combine the oats, water and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. These oats rise a lot so if you don’t stir them, they will boil over!
Once boiled for one minute, cover and let stand overnight or for at least 8 hours.
Voila! You will perfect textured overnight oats ready for you to eat.
Steel Cut Oats Texture
Speaking of texture, steel cut oats are much different than rolled oats. Rolled oats are much softer and break down more in water. Steel cut oats, on the other hand, are much firmer and chewier. So, keep that in mind if you decide to make steel cut oats!
Once you have the boiling and sitting down, you can really make these oats your own!
- Add protein powder! This is a great way to add flavor AND increase your protein intake!
- Add nut butter. Adding some healthy fats adds flavor and the combination of carbs and fats will also keep you fuller longer. My go-tos are cinnamon roll cashew butter and homemade almond butter!
- Add Greek yogurt! Like the cinnamon roll overnight oats, stirring in some Greek yogurt can help you get more protein, add flavor AND make these oats even creamier!
- Add nuts! Want a little more texture? A handful of nuts adds some crispy crunch and adds that heart healthy fat to keep you full and nourished!
My favorite way to eat these is with sautéed apples and GENEROUS dollop of almond butter or cashew butter! Especially on a cold winter morning it is SO GOOD.
Make a big batch once and have them for breakfast all week long!
When there are so many ways you can top ‘em your taste buds will NEVER get bored!
Other Healthy Overnight Oats
Vegan Snickerdoodle Overnight Oats
- 1/4 Cup Steel cut oats (GF if needed - not quick cooking)
- 3/4 - 1 Cup Water*
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, cover and let stand overnight.
- The next day, stir together, put it in a bowl and top with whatever you want!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: POINTS+: OLD POINTS:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment