PIN Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash
Ahhhhh 3 of my favorite things coming together in 1 easy, weeknight meal is the kind of thing that makes my hungry heart SING.
Whether it’s keto pork tenderloin with pistachio pesto or turkey meatballs with basil black walnut pesto cream, I am HERE for anything pesto. Could even eat a pesto egg white omelette for breakfast THE SAME night that pesto is on the dinner menu.
It’s just so fresh and vibrant AND GREEN so it makes me feel very, like, nourished and stuff.
Plus it tastes SO dang good mixed with tender spaghetti squash and this juicy, simple-spiced chicken and it is going to make YOUR hungry heart sing too. I just know it.
How to Make Dairy Free Pesto
Ok, people. I LOVE pesto. I love that even with such a small amount of it, there is literally so much flavor. Pesto can be so tasty and easy to add to add to all sorts of recipes, because it can jazz up anything and bring your meals to life!
Store-bought pesto can be delicious, but have you ever tried making your own? You’ll be surprised how easy it is to right at home in your own kitchen- you’ll feel like a gourmet chef! Some of my favorite ways to cook with pesto are in Paleo Keto Pork Tenderloin with Pistachio Pesto and Creamy Basil Pesto Chicken Pasta Meal Prep Bowls.
If you need it to be dairy free, you’re in luck, because all you need to do is leave out the parmesan. Your pesto will still be flavorful as can be in this Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash and do the trick to spice up your meal!
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash
When cooking a meal using paleo spaghetti squash, I find that roasting the squash is one of the easiest ways to prepare it to incorporate into a meal. Another great way to cook it is in your instant pot if you have one- check out Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash. It’s super simple and always delivers- it’s hard to mess it up! Here’s how to make it happen:
Set your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil.
Carefully halve your squash. I find it easiest to insert a very sharp knife all the way through, then rock it back and forth until the squash can easily crack in half. Use an ice cream or cookie scoop to scrape out the seeds and most of the stringy parts. Brush the interior of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Place both halves of the squash cut side down on your prepared sheet pan, and bake in your preheated oven until fork tender. This should take about 45 minutes to an hour.
Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash Ingredients
This recipe is a go-to in my house because I simply LOVE all things spaghetti squash. It’s a great alternative to regular pasta, it’s flavorful, and when adding homemade pesto and chicken, the flavor really packs a punch. It’s comfort food that’s also nourishing and DELISH! For this Whole30 spaghetti squash, you will need:
- Spaghetti Squash
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Pine Nuts
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
What kind of Chicken to Use to Make Whole 30 Spaghetti Squash?
This tasty recipe uses raw chicken that you cube and cook until golden brown in a frying pan. However, if you have a different style of cooked chicken sitting in the fridge, feel free to use it up instead! Leftover baked, shredded, or grilled chicken will work just as well in this recipe.
Pesto goes fantastically with SO many different foods. You might be surprised by how much flair it can add to a meal that is lacking in flavor! If you happen to have leftovers after devouring this tasty meal, store the leftover pesto in an airtight container and it will keep in the fridge for about a week to enjoy with something else!
Other Healthy Spaghetti Squash Recipes
Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half length wise and scoop out the seeds. Rub the inside with 1/2 Tbsp of the oil and sprinkle with salt. Place, cut-side down on the baking sheet and bake until fork tender, about 45 mins - to one hour. Additionally, spread the pine nuts on a small baking sheet and bake until just golden brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the squash is done, heat the other 1/2 Tbsp of oil in a large pan on medium heat. Sprinkle the chicken cubes with salt, garlic powder and onion powder (no measurements, just sprinkle!) and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Make the pesto
- Put the pine nuts into a SMALL food processor (mine is 3 cups) and pulse until crushed. Add in all the remaining ingredients, except the oil, and process until combined, scraping the sides as needed.
- With the food processor running, stream in the oil until well combined.
- Divide the squash between 2 bowls and mix in 1/2 the pesto with each squash. Top with chicken and additional sliced basil, if desired. Season to taste with salt.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: POINTS+: 14 OLD POINTS: 12
(per 1/2 of the recipe)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!